New YouTube Channel

TylerSC

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TylerSC
I started a youtube channel to share videos of my flying and other aviation-related activities. Editing videos is a completely new skill for me, so they should get better as we go along. I have a Cherokee 140, a drone, and I am taking a week-long paramotor class in November. I travel a good bit for work so I should get some good videos from that in the next few months. I also do Young Eagles flights with kids through EAA, and I am signed up for Pilots and Paws but have not had the chance to do a flight for them yet.

Please subscribe to my channel! I don't have a custom URL yet but here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwgcHKCoPX60bA3alWHkZkA

Also I would like to do something a little different - I really like to share the fun of aviation, so if anyone is in the SC area please let me know if you are interested in riding along for a flight!

I watched the Camden video first. I was like "great, another video that's 15 minutes long of nothing but straight and level, no cockpit audio, no music, what do we need that for?" (ok fine, u had the cute kid cameo). but then I watched the pelion video and that was really well edited, good mix of cockpit audio and music, decent length, regular speed and fast forward speed (the fuel pumping part), and finally the hook for the next video. I'd watch those all the time, well done.

Yup, I'd love to see more vids like the Pelion one. Well done, stick with it.

Thanks guys - there’s a learning curve to the editing but it is pretty fun!

Editing videos is a completely new skill for me, so they should get better as we go along.
Nice job. Editing was and still is the hard part for me. It takes longer to edit than the planning and flight itself. No where near as much fun either!

Please, oh please don’t try to make them into music videos! ATC audio all the way!

I am trying to find a balance and let you hear radio calls while not making it too boring. I tried narrating the flight/my thoughts but ended up taking almost all of that out.

Good videos. Not criticizing, just stating my personal preference, and I know a lot out there would disagree with me. I don't really like music in videos other than incidental say intro or to fill in for a sped up part (@Radar Contact is a good example of this). Also, you need that second camera that's not hooked into the audio to get that engine drone to edit in at a low level in the background (again, like @Radar Contact. His is pointing toward the pilot and passenger mounted on the front windshield). For instance in the Pelion video on final I would have just liked to hear the engine and you talking. Again, just my preference and you obviously can't please everyone. Subscribed.

Nice job. Editing was and still is the hard part for me. It takes longer to edit than the planning and flight itself. No where near as much fun either!

Yep - you have to do all that editing work so the viewer doesn’t have to! We are all such entertainment consumers these days we tend to take that for granted.

I am trying to find a balance and let you hear radio calls while not making it too boring. I tried narrating the flight/my thoughts but ended up taking almost all of that out.

Great that you are putting just this kind of thought into it! Another way of saying my point is that, as with any art, the music (if any) should be a background component* that enhances, not distracts nor obscures the primary focus, which in this case is the flying. The vids that drive me batty do the reverse, playing their favorite music while trying to make the music “better” by showing a boring airplane flight! In those cases, the video should just be named after the song!

Apologies for dumping this all specifically on your thread. I am a frequent YouTube airplane consumer and this is such a prevalent annoyance to me that I’ve been desperately wishing I could post a huge banner somewhere begging creators to address it. But the videos are usually several years old by the time I come across them. You are the first chance I’ve had to discuss it with a creator in near real time! Thank you for allowing me to vent.

* I am not asserting that music is universally only worthy of background status. I’m saying that all artistic components should serve the focus, in this case flying, so the parts don’t detract from the whole. It is analogous to a website that is cluttered with tons of extraneous information that makes it hard to find what you are actually looking for.

I will be interested to hear your opinion on the next video, then - it has both “flying” audio and a music component.

Great that you are putting just this kind of thought into it! Another way of saying my point is that, as with any art, the music (if any) should be a background component* that enhances, not distracts nor obscures the primary focus, which in this case is the flying. The vids that drive me batty do the reverse, playing their favorite music while trying to make the music “better” by showing a boring airplane flight! In those cases, the video should just be named after the song!

Apologies for dumping this all specifically on your thread. I am a frequent YouTube airplane consumer and this is such a prevalent annoyance to me that I’ve been desperately wishing I could post a huge banner somewhere begging creators to address it. But the videos are usually several years old by the time I come across them. You are the first chance I’ve had to discuss it with a creator in near real time! Thank you for allowing me to vent.

* I am not asserting that music is universally only worthy of background status. I’m saying that all artistic components should serve the focus, in this case flying, so the parts don’t detract from the whole. It is analogous to a website that is cluttered with tons of extraneous information that makes it hard to find what you are actually looking for.

Last edited:
O M G YOU HAVE MUUUUUUUUUSIC AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

jk, I watched it yesterday, nice job.

Back