New York City Aerial Tour

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
I seem to recall having asked this question before, but never ended up doing it and have since forgotten (and can't find) the answer.

This weekend I've got a friend visiting from out of town who asked if we could go flying and see the city in addition to our ground travels. Obviously there's the Hudson river corridor and skirting around under the Bravo shelf (which I've also never done), or climbing up to 7500. I was once in a friend's Cherokee and he managed to get clearance for a city tour, actually going around Manhattan and circling the Statue of Liberty. I'd like to do something similar to that. Really, the goal is to give my friend a memorable and enjoyable flight with a great view of the city, weather permitting.

So, to those who actually do this frequently, what do you all recommend for something that provides the best flight to a non-pilot tourist who's unfamiliar with the area and will want to see the cool sights, and how would you go about it? Frequencies to talk to, things to ask for, etc.? I'm used to actually going somewhere, not sight seeing. :)

I seem to recall having asked this question before, but never ended up doing it and have since forgotten (and can't find) the answer.

This weekend I've got a friend visiting from out of town who asked if we could go flying and see the city in addition to our ground travels. Obviously there's the Hudson river corridor and skirting around under the Bravo shelf (which I've also never done), or climbing up to 7500. I was once in a friend's Cherokee and he managed to get clearance for a city tour, actually going around Manhattan and circling the Statue of Liberty. I'd like to do something similar to that. Really, the goal is to give my friend a memorable and enjoyable flight with a great view of the city, weather permitting.

So, to those who actually do this frequently, what do you all recommend for something that provides the best flight to a non-pilot tourist who's unfamiliar with the area and will want to see the cool sights, and how would you go about it? Frequencies to talk to, things to ask for, etc.? I'm used to actually going somewhere, not sight seeing. :)
http://home.att.net/~auntpeggy/StoriesWeekendPreparation.html
Get the Terminal chart and memorize the reporting points. I've never flown across Manhattan, but I hear you can request it and fly right over Central Park. Cool.

Peggy, thanks for that. Definitely some good info. I think in what I've found so far I've got a good idea of what I'll do. It should be a fun flight. If I can get clearance, hopefully I can go up the East River, but if not I should be able to do a good tour down the Hudson, around the Statue of Liberty, and over to the Varrazanno and back.

Sorry, Missa, not really in much of a position for extra passengers. Besides, I'm leaving from here first thing tomorrow morning and heading down to Virginia for my cousin's son's graduation before going to New York, and am supposed to meet some folks for dinner there.

Aren't planes wonderful? :)

......I'm leaving from here first thing tomorrow morning and heading down to Virginia for my cousin's son's graduation before going to New York, and am supposed to meet some folks for dinner there. Aren't planes wonderful? :)

Bleccchhh.....I can not even imagine that day (or weekend) if it was driving.....your abosfrickinlutely right Ted, Aren't planes wonderful? :)

Oh yeah crutches suck too.....:smilewinkgrin:

Peggy, thanks for that. Definitely some good info. I think in what I've found so far I've got a good idea of what I'll do. It should be a fun flight. If I can get clearance, hopefully I can go up the East River, but if not I should be able to do a good tour down the Hudson, around the Statue of Liberty, and over to the Varrazanno and back.

Sorry, Missa, not really in much of a position for extra passengers. Besides, I'm leaving from here first thing tomorrow morning and heading down to Virginia for my cousin's son's graduation before going to New York, and am supposed to meet some folks for dinner there.

Aren't planes wonderful? :)

i have never flown anywhere east of that lake near Wings. but didnt they close the East river to only helicopters and seaplanes after the Cory Lidle accident?

i have never flown anywhere east of that lake near Wings. but didnt they close the East river to only helicopters and seaplanes after the Cory Lidle accident?
Well, yes and no. The East River Class B Exclusion is closed with the exceptions you note. It remains theoretically possible to fly in the East River Exclusion (and in the B-space above it) so long as you are under ATC's control.

As far as I know, they will not grant permission to fly the exclusion (which is below the Class B). I have also heard that they are not permitting flights in the B-space except under IFR but there is no official confirmation of this.

The best way to handle a flight in or over the East River exclusion is to fly at non-peak hours, use your "I got a million hours of experience" voice and radio technique, and ask. Also have Plan B ready to go.

-Skip

Bleccchhh.....I can not even imagine that day (or weekend) if it was driving.....your abosfrickinlutely right Ted, Aren't planes wonderful? :)

Yeah, the weekend pretty much wouldn't be possible without flying. I'm waking up tomorrow morning and flying from KIPT -> KCHO (5 hour drive, 1:20 flight) for my cousin's son's graduation, followed by KCHO -> KHPN (6 hour drive, 1:40 flight). Have a relaxing dinner with friends, get some errands done Saturday morning before picking up my friend, have a nice weekend and go flying on Sunday afternoon, then head back to Pennsylvania. Many trips just wouldn't be possible otherwise.

Oh yeah crutches suck too.....:smilewinkgrin:

Yeah, get rid of them things!

It's seeming that I'm most likely to just do the VFR route down the Hudson and back. It should be fun!

As others have said:

If you're going to "shoot" the Hudson exclusion, be sure to look at the blow-up on the back of the terminal chart... it shows the "correct" reporting points, traffic flow, and of course the helicopter routes. Use the CTAF, especially if you are going to diverge from the recommended flow, etc (for example, if you decide to turn around in the middle, or change altitude).
But don't rely solely on the CTAF... more than once, I have seen aircraft in there who were not talking to anybody. Not a crime in my book... if everyone is paying attention (as they should). Unfortunately, though, the NORDOs or the "what was that freq again?" people are usually also the ones flying around in there like they have it reserved for themselves.

It's really not complicated or difficult, but it's not a very big box, often with quite a bit of traffic in it, so it's smart to peruse the chart first and "go with the flow" as far as procedures are concerned.

And check for NOTAMs first!!

Here's another detailed how-to, if you're interested:

http://www.germaise.com/interests/aviation_flyinghudson1.htm

As for the East River exclusion: I've never had much interest in going in there, even "pre-Lidle". It's pretty tight, and the East River is much dirtier than the Hudson, if you know what I mean. Besides, there's not much you can see from there that you can't see from the Hudson side... except Queens. :D

It's really not complicated or difficult, but it's not a very big box, often with quite a bit of traffic in it, so it's smart to peruse the chart first and "go with the flow" as far as procedures are concerned.

Interpret this to mean "keep to the right of center" in the Hudson, among other things.

And check for NOTAMs first!!
Good point. Note please that if there is a game in Yankee Stadium, the Hudson Corridor is closed... and as that is a standing notam, you will not get notice of this in a standard briefing. The FS staff has no idea if there is a game on or not.

-Skip

And now I see there's a VIP TFR issued for New York this weekend. Great... anyone know who's coming? That sounds like it might screw up my plans.

Forget the East River -- LGA Tower won't let you through the B-space and, as Cory Lidle found out, there's not enough room to turn around in anything that doesn't have rotors.

And just who do they think they are runing a good flying weekend. I thought we fought a war to no longer be under their rule.

Let him go to Canada! :D
And if Harry isn't enough, now we have a Presidential TFR. Mr. Obama is coming 4PM - Midnight, more or less.

-Skip

Just called flight service - Obama and Henry are gone, and with them the TFRs. Looks like we're going flying later!

Forget the East River -- LGA Tower won't let you through the B-space and, as Cory Lidle found out, there's not enough room to turn around downwind at speed in anything that doesn't have rotors.

Fixed that for ya'...

Not Ron Levy said:
Forget the East River -- LGA Tower won't let you through the B-space and, as Cory Lidle found out, there's not enough room to turn around downwind at speed in anything that doesn't have rotors.
Fixed that for ya'...
Not Ron Levy said:
Forget the East River -- LGA Tower won't let you through the B-space and, as Cory Lidle found out, there's not enough room to turn around downwind at speed (with his low level of experience, going way too fast) in anything that doesn't have rotors.
Fixed again.

That turn was very possible in that airplane in those conditions if it were properly executed.

Fixed again.

That turn was very possible in that airplane in those conditions if it were properly executed.

And, having flown up the East River this afternoon, I would concur.

I managed to get flight following and Bravo clearance on my flight. We stayed at 1500 for the trip, which I think is a good altitude. Went down the Hudson, around the Statue of Liberty (twice), down to the Varrazano, then got clearance up the East River until the north end of Central Park, when we had to cut over back to the Hudson. That worked out well, we went over Teterboro and then into Caldwell, where we picked up the courtesy car (I'll be landing there again) and I dropped my friend off at the hotel.

Definitely a lot of fun and very worth doing! We got some very nice pictures. I think that being lower would actually be better, but from our altitude my friend definitely enjoyed herself. Furthermore, it was her first time in a GA aircraft. She liked it enough to want to try it again. A successful flight! :)

Back