New York City 17-21 May - Places to Stay?

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
My nephew graduates from NYU Law School in May, and a fair number of us are going there to attend. Approximate time in city 17th - 21st May.

Going to be his mom and her significant other, his sister, Celia, Tommy, me, another sister or two and another niece.

Probably be 8 or so of us in total.

Hoping to find a place like an apartment or two for rent, rather than hotels, for all manner of logical reasons.

Any of y'all have places / suggestions?

/s/ Spike

Let's see.....you already know you're in trouble as that's the weekend for Wings BBQ. And you're in the neighborhood!!!!! :yes:

I'm trying to work that out. Let's don't discuss with the wife just yet, 'K, Kaye?

I'm trying to work that out. Let's don't discuss with the wife just yet, 'K, Kaye?

Ahhhh....so that's the enthusiam for going to NY! I'll be quiet as a mouse...:cheerswine:

Spike, there are a lot of affordable hotels for a bit more than 200 a night, if you can believe it! Of course, most of the ones I know about are centered around W57th street . . . .

Did I read the title properly? "Rich attorney and pilot goes to New York" ? :wink2: :D

In that case, there's always the Pierre, the Peninsula, or the Four Seasons.... or the Marriott Marquis... :cornut:

Actually, there are any number of more reasonable hotels, depending on where you plan to be, and where you want to stay. The Marriott Marquis is right on Times Square - get the right rooms and you have a great view. I'm partial to the Courtyard Times Square (south) and the Courtyard Upper East Side. The Algonquin is a historic property, with great jazz many nights.

Figure on $300-$400 per room, more (much more) for the Pierre.

I stayed in the Grand Hyatt on Park Ave (connected to Grand Central Terminal) during the Thanksgiving holiday. It was a nice hotel though the rooms were a bit smaller. I normally use hotels.com to find good deals on hotels in hot spots like NYC, SFO, etc. I paid a group rate since I went with 400 other people (Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade performance) but $300 - $400 sounds about right. Sometimes you can strike a bargain in the $200 range for a night or two, but it's more difficult for a 5 day period.

I stayed in Weekawken NJ at the Sheraton during our Christmas visit - water taxi across the hudson in 15 minutes - and a beautiful view at night. Staying in that area is going to be our plan from now on - it was much nicer than staying in the city and a lot cheaper too.

My nephew graduates from NYU Law School in May, and a fair number of us are going there to attend. Approximate time in city 17th - 21st May.

Going to be his mom and her significant other, his sister, Celia, Tommy, me, another sister or two and another niece.

Probably be 8 or so of us in total.

Hoping to find a place like an apartment or two for rent, rather than hotels, for all manner of logical reasons.

Any of y'all have places / suggestions?

/s/ Spike

Spike,

When I went to Columbia University for a class, I stayed at the Marriott Marquis in Time Square. Not cheap, not really close to Columbia, but totally worth the money. Its a quick walk to the Subway (or hailing a cab), and its a nice, nice hotel. Times Square being right out the front door is a nice touch too.

I strongly, strongly recommend that hotel.

Well if your serious about doing both ( flybq and NYU that is) Stay at the hotel we get for the FlyBQ at $99 per nite. Have one of us fly you up to Linden NJ or HPN and take the train into NYC. That or stay in Hoboken.

I'm really hoping to find something like an apartment...

A compromise choice would be Residence Inn. There's one in Times square that has some 1& 2 br suites. Sort of a compromise between hotel and apartment. I just stayed in one and found the kitchen quite serviceable.

It seems like people rent condos in resort areas all the time. There must be something like that available in NYC. I know someone who did a similar thing in Chicago last summer.

Spike: I'm going up with nieces middle of Feb. You can ride along and check places out if you'd like :).
I've never checked on condos; wish I could help. We're on Hotwire.com watching a couple places.

Best,

Dave

Last (Only) time I was in New York City I slept on the floor in the basement of St. John the Divine. Dunno if that would work for you or not.

Spike: I'm going up with nieces middle of Feb. You can ride along and check places out if you'd like :).
I've never checked on condos; wish I could help. We're on Hotwire.com watching a couple places.

Best,

Dave

All I'd really be good for is carrying bags.

What's your itinerary?

Back