New York Center

Eamon

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Eamon
Heard this morning on NY center...... C=center P=Pilot

C Mooney xxx alt is xxx do you have the atis at Danbury?

P No

C I believe the field is IFR

P oh..... humm... ok

C please state intentions

P ah. can i get a heading for the airport?

C and then what

P well maybe i can see the field from 2500 ft on top.

C turn to a heading 290 field 14 miles, but the field is IFR showing 1/2 mile vis.

P I would like a special

C I cannot give a special

P Well then I guess I will just keep going and when I get closer I will ask tower for a special

C The tower is not allowed to give a special below 1 mile vis, thats the rules

P Maybe I can just get on top of the filed & see it.

C Just for argument sakes, lets say you get there & see the filed, you still cant get in without an IFR clearance.

C- Are you IFR capable?

P yes-

C Then why are we having this conversation... Would you like a IFR to Danbury

P Ahh... I will get back to you in a min.

................................................... Maybe another 5 mins of things I forgot.....

Man. If that was Me working center, I bet the pilot would have heard "squalk 1200" after the first transmission. :eek: :confused:

(I hope he isn't reading this) :) :)

Wow. The pilot really didn't want to go IFR. Wonder why.

I'm rolling on the floor laughing my ass off, but it's not funny.

Approach plates?! We don't need no stinkin' approach plates!

Jim G

Knew of a person who was very confident of his abilities, flying himself and several others to a big event (big pressure to look good for pax and not miss the "event"); wx turned into IMC at destination airport, was asked whether he was "...IFR equipped and capable," responded affirmatively.

Accepted pop-up and ILS, successfully completed.

Was not yet finished with his IFR training, not IFR-rated.

Was lucky.

SCCutler said:
wx turned into IMC at destination airport, was asked whether he was "...IFR equipped and capable," responded affirmatively.

Was lucky.

I have a friend that used to file as "Jose Jimenez" before he had his IFR. He knew he was risking his ticket every time. I'd tell him he was stupid, and dangerous, but he eventually got his IR and got away with it. Still dumb.

haven't heard that one in a while ....

"Hello, my name is Jose Jimenez!"

SCCutler said:
Knew of a person who was very confident of his abilities, flying himself and several others to a big event (big pressure to look good for pax and not miss the "event"); wx turned into IMC at destination airport, was asked whether he was "...IFR equipped and capable," responded affirmatively.

Was lucky.
See that person every day in the mirror, do ya, Spike? :D

Anthony said:
I have a friend that used to file as "Jose Jimenez" before he had his IFR. He knew he was risking his ticket every time. I'd tell him he was stupid, and dangerous, but he eventually got his IR and got away with it. Still dumb.

Amazing how good some folks think they are. Remember this one?
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001208X07021&key=1
Read the full narrative if you have time.

Gentlemen. It is precisely this sort of bottom of the pool pilot that we must somehow ground. Seriously.

Wow, that first narrative... someone with too much money and not enough brains.

My mind just went....

"Wow, that was stupid."
"...Stupider...."
"...Stupider...."
"...What the..."
"....:eek::eek::eek:..."
"...:hairraise::hairraise:!!!!"

Sigh. Dr. Bruce is right.

bbchien said:
Gentlemen. It is precisely this sort of bottom of the pool pilot that we must somehow ground. Seriously.

Question is how? If the govt gives me a license to shoot on sight, fine. Outside of that, it can't be done. How many aircraft owners you think are out there flying who hold no license whatsoever flying off of back water strips? I've met at least 5. Good sticks too, just Good ol' Boys with no use for Gubmint. How many medical forms you see with everything ticked off just so and you just take one look at em and know they're lying? Are you authorized to send off blood/urine for toxicollogy without patient consent? I've seen guys who fly for outfits and they're obviously on either meth or chemotherapy, and they sure don't act the latter.

Anthony said:
Well that guy certainly won the Darwin award. Jeez.

If only he hadn't taken his girlfriend and her kids with him. I couldn't write a story more bizzare.

ejensen said:
If only he hadn't taken his girlfriend and her kids with him. I couldn't write a story more bizzare.

True dat. Very sad indeed. Bruce is right, these guys need to be grounded NOW.

Not saying I've never made choices I regret, but (thankfully) this was not one of them. Would like to think I'd at least avoid this blatant a situation (and he had good VMC ten minutes behind him).

This was not the first example of such attitude from this pilot, and I hope he has improved his ways (not much in touch anymore...). Know he sold his first plane, know not what he flies now...

Ken Ibold said:
See that person every day in the mirror, do ya, Spike? :D

Last edited:
ejensen said:
Amazing how good some folks think they are. Remember this one?
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001208X07021&key=1
Read the full narrative if you have time.
There's an example of too much money and no brains. It's a shame Darwin caught him with others onboard.
About the only way to catch them is to madate licenses at fuel stops out and recorded; and more ramp checks. Make the FAA visible along with the local LEOs.

Back