New! World Class Airport Restaurant near Sacramento - Lakeport

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
Have you ever flown, to Lakeport (Lampson Field - 1O2) Airport on beautiful Clear Lake near Sacramento? If not, file a plan today and go!

The scenery doesn't get any better. Clear Lake is the largest natural body of water in California...huge...off the beaten track with a charming 1800's downtown. It has a nice little airport with a 3,600 foot runway and it's a 10 minute drive to downtown.

If you just want to cruise in and back out, you have a great new option at the airport: Giovanni's at Skyroom (http://www.yelp.com/biz/giovannis-skyroom-lakeport). This is one of the best airport restaurants anywhere, with great home-made Italian food. The minestrone is amazing. They also have a full bar.

Better yet, stay the night. The Skylark Motel is 10 minutes away and the rooms have world-class views of the lake. http://www.yelp.com/biz/skylark-shores-resort-lakeport

Enjoy!!!!

(We're here with 3 pilots, leaving 7/31 if anyone's around. Frequent seaplane landings too in front of the motel.)

Interesting. The last time I went in to Lampson, the restaurant was closed. Glad to see it (or whatever replaced it) is in business. I don't think the previous restaurant was Italian.

It's a pretty cool field to fly in to, with a couple of static PBY's parked there.

That sounds great. I've skipped that airport before because there was nothing there. Good to hear it changed.

Now you gotta try the Mexican food at Ukiah. It's across the street from the terminal in a supermarket. Complete with handmade tortillas.

FYI, Clear Lake is a big lake, but it's not the biggest body of water in CA. That's Lake Tahoe for fresh water, and San Francisco Bay for salt.

Lampson holds a special distinction for me. I've been there a few times, but the first time was at the far end of my long solo cross-country for my private. So nice to hear it's got a restaurant again! My most common run is the $100 hamburger and I've been lamenting the number of fields that are not helpful for that or require serious coordination of ground transport.

That sounds great. I've skipped that airport before because there was nothing there. Good to hear it changed.

Now you gotta try the Mexican food at Ukiah. It's across the street from the terminal in a supermarket. Complete with handmade tortillas.

FYI, Clear Lake is a big lake, but it's not the biggest body of water in CA. That's Lake Tahoe for fresh water, and San Francisco Bay for salt.

Clear Lake is the biggest entirely within CA.

Yup. That place is HUGE and very isolated on a ridgetop. Though I try not to pass too close 'cause I presume there is a reason it's THAT far off the beaten track.

No it isn't. Salton Sea and San Francisco Bay are both much larger.

It's a nice place, and it is a fairly sizeable lake, but don't say it's more than it is.

Should've clarified...Clear Lake is the largest natural body of fresh water inside CA.

Had a great burger at Lampson yesterday... Open with a limited but good menu at noon.. Full menu at 3pm. 2 Canberras over by the shop. Don't see many of those any more.

Back