New Windshield choices

bnt83

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
Anyone have a before & after first hand experience with "Solar Control" or "UV Blocks" supposed to reduce IR radiation heating of the cockpit?

I'm chewing on all the new windshield options...

We've filmed some house windows with the UV/IR filtering films and they've worked wonders! If they do similar (it was a 3M film), I'm sure it'd work great.

I didn't know they made treated windshields, but you've perked my interest.

We've filmed some house windows with the UV/IR filtering films and they've worked wonders! If they do similar (it was a 3M film), I'm sure it'd work great.

I didn't know they made treated windshields, but you've perked my interest.

The Cardinal (177 series) windshields are pretty big too. I think it would be worth the extra cost, just wonder if anyone has one in their airplane.

My photochromic glasses (transitions) do not function in my plane so I imagine that regular windshields block UV anyway.

I have a windshield replacement coming up soon so I'm curious. What kind of plane does the OP own? Mine is a C182 so I'm curious what options exist for the plastic.

I have a windshield replacement coming up soon so I'm curious. What kind of plane does the OP own? Mine is a C182 so I'm curious what options exist for the plastic.

Cessna 177

The Cardinal (177 series) windshields are pretty big too. I think it would be worth the extra cost, just wonder if anyone has one in their airplane.

When I did my windows back in 2009, I went with LP's UV blockers for the windshield and rear window. I've been happy with them so far, but I can't realy compare them to the non-UV versions.

When I did my windows back in 2009, I went with LP's UV blockers for the windshield and rear window. I've been happy with them so far, but I can't realy compare them to the non-UV versions.

Did you go with the heavy windshield? Pretty sure I'm not going to do that.

Did you go with the heavy windshield? Pretty sure I'm not going to do that.

Nope - didn't want to deal with any trimming. As it was, the LP standard thickness fit without any trimming.

Nope - didn't want to deal with any trimming. As it was, the LP standard thickness fit without any trimming.

I hear ya. I'm having a difficult time trying to stop taking it apart and start putting it together. Minimal trimming will be greatly appreciated.

:rofl:

Did yours have shim glued to the windshield like this?

Pretty sure I'm going to drill the back window off this weekend.

I'm having a difficult time trying to stop taking it apart and start putting it together.

:rofl:

Pretty sure I'm going to drill the back window off this weekend.

Hey Brian, Home Depot has their Rubbermaid 18 gal storage tote tubs on sale this week. It might be a good idea to pick up another half dozen.

:rofl::rofl:

721b7986-2f93-419d-b0f2-9bcc62415312_400.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-Roughneck-18-Gal-Storage-Tote-FG2215H2MICBL/100644802

Brand new Solar Gray with UV block on the left, really old cloudy green on the right

Even all torn apart, Cardinals are cool!

I took the new windshield out of the box, didn't get warm & fuzzies and then put it back in the box.

The old windshield has a bit of bubble to it in the center, the new one is pretty much completely flat from the top edge to the bottom edge. I have no idea how difficult this will be :redface:

Here is my friend's 177B, it basically flat.

I may be worried about nothing. (fingers crossed)

Last edited:
I'm happy to report that the new flatter windshield not only went in pretty easy for a test fit (patients required!) but there are no excessive gaps between it and the fuselage skins. Looks like no trimming will be required. I do recommend rounding the edges with 220 grit sandpaper and beveling the shim along the top before you start. We chipped one of the edges a little which could have been easily been prevented. Its not a big deal since the edge as about 0.75 inches under the fuselage skin. I'm going smooth them all out before putting on the felt.

Currently its laying on my kitchen table awaiting a compass mount which I have yet to decide what adhesive or solvent bonding method will be attaching it. :redface: Gotta drill a hole in the middle for the OAT too.

Last edited:
Anyone have a before & after first hand experience with "Solar Control" or "UV Blocks" supposed to reduce IR radiation heating of the cockpit?

I'm chewing on all the new windshield options...

There is a film called V-Cool IIRC that made it onto the marine market a few years back, excellent heat barrier with little impact on night sight, not much denser than a green tint windshield. Best thing I have ever come across for tinting wheelhouse glass. However, applying film to a compound curve is a fine art with imperfect results at best.

Looks like it's a good fit.

There is a little gap between the upper corners of the windshield and the fuselage skin. It looks like cessna should have rolled a bit of an edge on that skin like they did on the other sides of the windshield opening.

It is possible that the gaps are a preexisting condition too, just not committed to memory. Its not a big deal. Those corners just don't fit as tightly against the windshield as the other 95% of the skin does.

You can imagine how relieved I am!!

Lookin' good, Brian.

I just took all the radios out and I'm a little confused about some of the terminations I'm seeing.

Santa brought me a new PS Engineering 8000BT and some of the existing wiring for older radios isn't matching their diagrams I pulled up online. I'm still in the cleanup, look-see and draw a master set of prints to work of off. Tho I did build most of the 8000BT harness a few years ago. I still need to go over it pin by pin and verify all is good.

Back