New vehicle, what to get?

Maxmosbey

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
I need to get serious.
I have a 2010 Chevy Silverado that I want to trade for a midsize SUV. First of all, I'm not interested in used vehicles. I'm also not interested in resale value. I also don't plan to buy the bottom of the line in any model. One of the most important things is gas mileage, however I'm not interested in a hybrid or a diesel. I want a nice interior. Leather seats. I want enough power to get around a grain truck on a two lane road without any trouble, and something that will cruise along at 70 to 75. I need something that will pull a small 4'x8' trailer around town with a couple of sheets of plywood in it or a new couch, no big loads and no long trips pulling it. I want something quiet, comfortable, and smooth. I'm not looking for a family car. I'm not a kid, nor do I have kids anymore, mine are grown. I also want dependability.

So far I've looked at the Ford Escape Titanium, the Toyota RAV4, The Lincoln MKX, Subaru Outback, and the Nissan Murano. At this point, just reading on the internet, and looking in the car lots after hours, without driving any of them yet. So far I like the Lincoln and the Ford best, but I have to drive all of them before I decide of course. Any input from all you experts out there?

Last edited:
On the larger size but the Durango/Grand Cherokee might be worth a look, I think they are still using the MDS system on the V8 and the new V6 is no slouch either.

Grand Cherokee hands down. SRT8 if you want something really awesome. Otherwise the Overland is great and has great finishes.

Grand Cherokee hands down. SRT8 if you want something really awesome. Otherwise the Overland is great and has great finishes.

While it would pass a grain truck it wouldn't get very good fuel economy:rofl:

I don't know about the current ones but the first gen had center exhaust that precluded towing as well.

EDIT, just looked and the new ones have "normal" exhausts

While it would pass a grain truck it wouldn't get very good fuel economy:rofl:

I don't know about the current ones but the first gen had center exhaust that precluded towing as well.

EDIT, just looked and the new ones have "normal" exhausts

The new ones are better than the previous generation in every way, and I loved the previous generation. Fuel economy has gotten better along with the overall build quality. And they're pretty dang quick. If you don't want the speed, the big brakes and the upgraded interior and exterior, the regular grand Cherokee is still great.

The jeeps recently got a "best in class" rating from one of the big publications, even when competing against the big-name imports from Germany and Japan.

The new ones are better than the previous generation in every way, and I loved the previous generation. Fuel economy has gotten better along with the overall build quality. And they're pretty dang quick. If you don't want the speed, the big brakes and the upgraded interior and exterior, the regular grand Cherokee is still great.

And the new ECM has been cracked so you can custom tune them

Ford Flex? I really know nothing about them. One of my neighbors bought one and he's quite taken with it. Not really an SUV per-se, more like a wagon. It can be had with AWD I think. When I sat in it, I was impressed by the spaciousness of the whole cabin.

I own a 2006 Escape and my friend has a 2010 Escape Hybrid. Both have A LOT of road noise. Much worse in back seat. The back seat is not real good for a full sized adult.
My friend also has a 2012 Explore with the 3 row seating. This has less road notice by far. But has even less back seat room.
The Escape is a unibody the Explorer is a body on frame. This is really not an issue with what you plan. I have pulled a loaded 6*10 trailer with no problem with the Escape.
Not sure about the new Escape but the new Explorer navigation system sucks! They have incorporated way to much into the touch screen other then NAV stuff.
The Explorer does have AC in the front leather seats not sure about the new Escape.

Your mission profile is exactly mine. I ended up with a Mercedes GLK350.
300hp, very quick, drives like a sports sedan, comfortable, and good gas mileage. Solid, quiet, and reliable.
Will take a Class 2 hitch, up to 3500 lbs.
I have an 80 mile round trip commute, and average 26mpg. 70mph on the freeway averages 30mpg. 80mph averages 26mpg.

I've put 14k miles on it in 9 months, and enjoy driving it every day.

I own a 2006 Escape and my friend has a 2010 Escape Hybrid. Both have A LOT of road noise. Much worse in back seat. The back seat is not real good for a full sized adult.
My friend also has a 2012 Explore with the 3 row seating. This has less road notice by far. But has even less back seat room.
The Escape is a unibody the Explorer is a body on frame. This is really not an issue with what you plan. I have pulled a loaded 6*10 trailer with no problem with the Escape.
Not sure about the new Escape but the new Explorer navigation system sucks! They have incorporated way to much into the touch screen other then NAV stuff.
The Explorer does have AC in the front leather seats not sure about the new Escape.
I'll check that out. The Escape that I was looking at had heated leather seats and electric seat adjustments with memory. The Titanium models are pretty nice looking. As I said, I haven't gotten around to driving one yet. They have the Lincoln at the same dealership. I'm taking my time, and I know that as soon as I drive one things will start going fast. It always ends up that way with me. But I'm interested to see if the Lincoln is good enough to make up for the extra money. It is kind of pricey in comparison.

Get the Subaru.
My sister-in-law bought an Outback two years ago, and she likes it. I went with her to look at it and again when she finally bought it, I've never driven it though. At the time, I actually liked the Forester too, but they just don't have the style you can get in the Outback.

The Subaru is an overgrown car, nothing wrong with that if it meets your needs though!

Your mission profile is exactly mine. I ended up with a Mercedes GLK350.
300hp, very quick, drives like a sports sedan, comfortable, and good gas mileage. Solid, quiet, and reliable.
Will take a Class 2 hitch, up to 3500 lbs.
I have an 80 mile round trip commute, and average 26mpg. 70mph on the freeway averages 30mpg. 80mph averages 26mpg.

I've put 14k miles on it in 9 months, and enjoy driving it every day.
We have actually seen two Mercedes while we have been out walking and have discussed it. The nearest Mercedes dealership is in Des Moines, and when we get a little more into it, we will probably go down there and look at Lexus, Mercedes, and Volvo. Those dealerships are all close to the Subaru dealership as well.

The Subaru is an overgrown car, nothing wrong with that if it meets your needs though!

A all wheel drive, high clearance, flat 4 engine, very well engneered, light weight car which will out off-road most "SUVs" while getting better milage :)

A all wheel drive, high clearance, flat 4 engine, very well engneered, light weight car which will out off-road most "SUVs" while getting better milage :)

No argument, most SUVs these days are poor off-road vehicles:sad:

if you're upping the ante to explorer and grand cherokee sized vehicles, then I'd look at a toyota 4-runner. Not that there's anything wrong with the jeep vehicle itself but I'll never drive another GM or Chrysler product after my grandchildren were saddled with the debt to keep them afloat. That said, of the choices you list I'd get the subaru. You're not listing any requirements for a vehicle on a truck-type frame so why put up with the ride and handling that come with the same ?

btw I've got nothing against fords and my next car might be a focus. Nice line of vehicles overall. But the explorer seems to be lacking in towing and payload for the other sacrifices you have to make.

if you're upping the ante to explorer and grand cherokee sized vehicles, then I'd look at a toyota 4-runner. Not that there's anything wrong with the jeep vehicle itself but I'll never drive another GM or Chrysler product after my grandchildren were saddled with the debt to keep them afloat. That said, of the choices you list I'd get the subaru. You're not listing any requirements for a vehicle on a truck-type frame so why put up with the ride and handling that come with the same ?

btw I've got nothing against fords and my next car might be a focus. Nice line of vehicles overall. But the explorer seems to be lacking in towing and payload for the other sacrifices you have to make.
I'm not upping the ante, but if people want to talk Cherokees that is fine with me. I'm staying mid size. Off road capability is not a consideration. I have a 1975 CJ5, lifted with a winch and a locker in the front differential. That is my off road vehicle. I want something however that will be good enough in the snow to get me the six blocks to the grocery store and the two miles to the gym in the winter. At the same time, it will be our main vehicle, so it has to be big enough to take the kids out to eat, go on trips, and of course go shopping.

if you're upping the ante to explorer and grand cherokee sized vehicles, then I'd look at a toyota 4-runner.

You can't go wrong with a Toyota product

I'm intrigued by these new Land Rover evoques, which is about the size you are talking.

I've driven Toyota Land Cruisers since the mid-1990s, but my wife's Range Rover HSE is the most luxurious car I've ever driven, and the engine will snap your neck going through 80 mph

I want something however that will be good enough in the snow to get me the six blocks to the grocery store and the two miles to the gym in the winter. At the same time, it will be our main vehicle, so it has to be big enough to take the kids out to eat, go on trips, and of course go shopping.

Just a note wrt geting through snow: I owned a 4wd '93 Explorer (which was great for the snow in the Boston MA area), then a 4wd 2001 Escape, and now an AWD 2006 Mariner Hybrid.

I was not impressed with the stock tires on the Escape, the stock all-season tires on the 2001 Escape were noticably worse in the snow then the Explorer. When I replaced on the tires on the Escape, I chose a more aggressive tread and liked the improved handling in the snow.

The Escape and Mariner are OK in the snow, not great, but ok. I blame part of that on the tires. A more aggressive tread would make them better, but at the cost of road noise and gas mileage.

Just a note wrt geting through snow: I owned a 4wd '93 Explorer (which was great for the snow in the Boston MA area), then a 4wd 2001 Escape, and now an AWD 2006 Mariner Hybrid.

I was not impressed with the stock tires on the Escape, the stock all-season tires on the 2001 Escape were noticably worse in the snow then the Explorer. When I replaced on the tires on the Escape, I chose a more aggressive tread and liked the improved handling in the snow.

The Escape and Mariner are OK in the snow, not great, but ok. I blame part of that on the tires. A more aggressive tread would make them better, but at the cost of road noise and gas mileage.
That is good to know. My wife has a Pontiac Solstice and I went to get new tires for it. When I told the salesman to put on the same tires as were on it, he mentioned that the ones on it were "Summer" tires. I had no idea that there was such a thing. I ended up getting a all season tire for it.

Honda Pilot. My 04 is at 170,000 miles and going strong. Just recently had its first trip to the shop for unscheduled maintenance when the A/C blower motor crapped out.

We just bought the new 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. It's a more "refined" interior than previous models, and we really like it. I haven't towed anything with it yet, so I can't speak to that, but it is a very comfortable ride and couldn't be more happy.

Honda Pilot. My 04 is at 170,000 miles and going strong. Just recently had its first trip to the shop for unscheduled maintenance when the A/C blower motor crapped out.

We had a 2004 Pilot and really enjoyed that too. Forget the miles when we traded it in (close to 90k I think) , but no problems whatsoever.

That is good to know. My wife has a Pontiac Solstice and I went to get new tires for it. When I told the salesman to put on the same tires as were on it, he mentioned that the ones on it were "Summer" tires. I had no idea that there was such a thing. I ended up getting a all season tire for it.

Summer tires are Fuuuuun! Just don't take them into the snow, or even cold weather

Summer tires are Fuuuuun! Just don't take them into the snow, or even cold weather
My wife has 56k on that car. She drove it pretty much year around, and while she obviously never drove it in deep snow, she drove it on snowy streets. At first she complained that it would just spin out, but after a few winters she got along just fine. I had no idea that there were such a thing as summer tires. I'm thinking this winter will be a breeze, except we will be in Puerto Rico all winter after Christmas and the Solstice will be in the garage at home.

My wife has 56k on that car. She drove it pretty much year around, and while she obviously never drove it in deep snow, she drove it on snowy streets. At first she complained that it would just spin out, but after a few winters she got along just fine. I had no idea that there were such a thing as summer tires. I'm thinking this winter will be a breeze, except we will be in Puerto Rico all winter after Christmas and the Solstice will be in the garage at home.

I have some rather sticky Dunlops on my Saturn, boy do they grip, but below 50 degrees she just spins too.

Ford Edge

I just bought a Ford Explorer sport. Its one hell of a car. I wanted the edge which I felt was the perfect car BUT.... I have 3 teenagers. They looked a little cramped in the back seat. I needed the 3rd row of seats. You stated you don't have that issue. The edge would be my vote

I agree with using the Honda pilot. It shows the statement of quality when I get absolutely no requests for the engine or transmission for any year models of the Honda pilot.

Out of your list, I'd say Subaru.

Co-worker has the Escape. It's in the shop for really bad stuff(TM) all the time. And unless they've changed it, the rear I-beam suspension kills any actual ground clearance it might have been able to claim.

I'm not a big fan of towing with unibody car-like vehicles with car-like suspensions. Seems to just beat them up.

Thought about the EcoBoost V6 Turbo F-150 at all? That's a nice truck if all the kinks are worked out of that engine. I think the jury is still out on that.

With a four door short-box and a tonneau cover or topper, it makes it the best "SUV" out there.

I have gotten great service out of my Outback. 170k with one failed alternator, 2 knock sensors and new coolant hoses. It did require new headgasket (most of that model year did). Great winter car. The last 4 years and 40k the car has only seen fuel and annual oil changes.
The 3.0L six cylinder versions are nice cars but not that great on the fuel economy. If AWD was a requirement, I would buy another subi.

You need a new light duty truck. They are as comfortable as a car, you can get any option you want, they are roomy, they are always reliable and they make you a lot of friends. (Well, that last reason might not be a positive if you find you are always helping people move things when you would rather be flying).

I recently helped a grandkid find and buy a great '07 Bean and delivered it to him. By the time I reached Austin I wish I had never told him about it and bought it myself.

I have gotten great service out of my Outback. 170k with one failed alternator, 2 knock sensors and new coolant hoses. It did require new headgasket (most of that model year did). Great winter car. The last 4 years and 40k the car has only seen fuel and annual oil changes.
The 3.0L six cylinder versions are nice cars but not that great on the fuel economy. If AWD was a requirement, I would buy another subi.

Factory tires are selected to do three things:
1: Be quiet on the test drive.
2: Get maximum gas mileage in the EPA mileage test
3: Cost as little as possible.
They don't care about offroad capability, snow handling, tread life, or anything else.

Jeeps come with Goodyear SRA tires. They are horrible in snow, ice, mud, rocks, or sand. The wear out fast too. 6 months into my Jeep Liberty, replaced the SRAs with BFGs. Night and day change.

Go to TireRack.com and you'll see that on almost every car, the OEM tire is the lowest rated (and most expensive) choice for any vehicle.

Take a look at the Toyota Highlander. Bigger than the Escape, the RAV, etc, but not as big as the current 4Runner or Pathfinder.

Ours gets ~22 mpg at highway speeds and is a good driving vehicle - much better than our old 4 Runner.

Never liked the old 4-R's due to lack of foot-well for driver area. Flat floor was no bueno for creature comfort.

Take a look at the Toyota Highlander. Bigger than the Escape, the RAV, etc, but not as big as the current 4Runner or Pathfinder.

Ours gets ~22 mpg at highway speeds and is a good driving vehicle - much better than our old 4 Runner.

Another vehicle to consider is the Jeep Patriot.
It is almost exactly the size of the old Jeep Cherokee (the original mid size SUV), good gas mileage, and inexpensive.

Back