New (Used) Car Decision

SoonerAviator

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
SoonerAviator
Trying to decide between a couple of cars and want some outside opinions. Looking for a sporty mid/full-size sedan, used, around $35K and under 40K miles. Can I afford more? Absolutely. Am I willing to pay more? Not really. It will likely end up being the wife's daily, but I want something with a bit of performance . . . because "weeeeee!" In any case, I've pretty much narrowed it down to these two:

2018-2020 Genesis G80 3.3T Sport
2018-Genesis-G80-Sport-Main-Art.jpg

Pros:
Tilted more towards the "luxury" side of luxury-sport-sedan
A lot of luxury features (lane assist, radar cruise control, heads-up display, etc) at a not-so-crazy price point
Heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, auto rear sunshade, manual rear side window shades
365HP Twin-Turbo V6, AWD available but not necessarily needed/desired in Oklahoma
Decent size back seat for the kiddos still in booster seats for a few years
Panoramic moonroof

Cons:
Lesser known brand may make it tougher to sell down the road
No major gotchas, but with relatively low-volume of this model/engine there's not a ton of info on reliability at this point
Remote start only available via a spotty phone app you have to pay for (although there are some aftermarket solutions to eliminate this issue).
Only way to get the full 100K-mile powertrain warranty to buy a CPO car, which are all but nonexistent

2019-2020 Infiniti Q50 Sport (or Red Sport 400)
2018-Infiniti-Q50-Red-Sport-400-front-three-quarter-in-motion-10-e1500655148137.jpg

Pros:
Tilted more towards the "sport" side of luxury-sport-sedan
3.0L Twin-Turbo V6 (300HP Sport) or 400HP w/Red Sport, AWD available (again, no needed here), the Sport (300HP) model is fairly easily/cheaply tuned to match the Red Sport 400HP model if desired.
Heated seats (no cooling), heated steering, no sunshades.
Better performance in just about all aspects (skidpad, acceleration, mpg)
Many thousands produced, so better reliability history and easily sold.

Cons:
Sporadic issues with "porous" engine blocks causing coolant leaks and replacement (most seem to be covered under warranty).
Turbochargers pre-2019 apparently had a higher failure rate (generally failed in 50K miles or less)
Interior not as nice/seats not as plush, dated infotainment system.
History of chewing up accessory belts due to pulley misalignment
Slightly smaller backseat than the Genesis G80, but still fine for kids currently 5yrs and under.

So, what you guys? Any insights? Horror stories? Outright indifference? :) Alternate suggestions?

Last edited:
Trying to decide between a couple of cars and want some outside opinions. Looking for a sporty mid/full-size sedan, used, around $35K and under 40K miles. Can I afford more? Absolutely. Am I willing to pay more? Not really. It will likely end up being the wife's daily, but I want something with a bit of performance . . . because "weeeeee!" In any case, I've pretty much narrowed it down to these two:

2018-2020 Genesis G80 3.3T Sport
Pros:
Tilted more towards the "luxury" side of luxury-sport-sedan
A lot of luxury features (lane assist, radar cruise control, heads-up display, etc) at a not-so-crazy price point
Heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, auto rear sunshade, manual rear side window shades
365HP Twin-Turbo V6, AWD available but not necessarily needed/desired in Oklahoma
Decent size back seat for the kiddos still in booster seats for a few years
Panoramic moonroof

Cons:
Lesser known brand may make it tougher to sell down the road
No major gotchas, but with relatively low-volume of this model/engine there's not a ton of info on reliability at this point
Remote start only available via a spotty phone app you have to pay for (although there are some aftermarket solutions to eliminate this issue).
Only way to get the full 100K-mile powertrain warranty to buy a CPO car, which are all but nonexistent

2019-2020 Infiniti Q50 Sport (or Red Sport 400)
Pros:
Tilted more towards the "sport" side of luxury-sport-sedan
3.0L Twin-Turbo V6 (300HP Sport) or 400HP w/Red Sport, AWD available (again, no needed here), the Sport (300HP) model is fairly easily/cheaply tuned to match the Red Sport 400HP model if desired.
Heated seats (no cooling), heated steering, no sunshades.
Better performance in just about all aspects (skidpad, acceleration, mpg)
Many thousands produced, so better reliability history and easily sold.

Cons:
Sporadic issues with "porous" engine blocks causing coolant leaks and replacement (most seem to be covered under warranty).
Turbochargers pre-2019 apparently had a higher failure rate (generally failed in 50K miles or less)
Interior not as nice/seats not as plush, dated infotainment system.
History of chewing up accessory belts due to pulley misalignment
Slightly smaller backseat than the Genesis G80, but still fine for kids currently 5yrs and under.

So, what you guys? Any insights? Horror stories? Outright indifference? :) Alternate suggestions?
Don't know about the G80 but my son in law bought a GV80 and absolutely loves it. As a matter of fact he bought it to replace an Audi Q8 which he did not like at all and says the Genesis is a much better car in overall features and quality. Personally, I would avoid the Infiniti. Heard too many bad reviews of Nissan products. Cheers :cheers:

Don't know about the G80 but my son in law bought a GV80 and absolutely loves it. As a matter of fact he bought it to replace an Audi Q8 which he did not like at all and says the Genesis is a much better car in overall features and quality. Personally, I would avoid the Infiniti. Heard too many bad reviews of Nissan products. Cheers :cheers:

The Genesis brand brings a lot of value for what it is. It's whether or not it's enough of a departure from its Hyundai roots to differentiate it. The G70 Sport/G80 Sport/G90 have the 3.3L twin turbo V6 or a 5.0L V8 as options until just recently. None of those engines/transmissions are available in Hyundai though, so there's a relatively short history to pull from and probably fewer shops that will even work on them.

I have owned a few Nissans (all Z cars) and never had any complaints. However, my latest one was a 1995 300ZX TT so there's been several generations of Nissan platforms since then. I don't know that Nissan has been any worse overall then the other competition in their segments, but they did catch a lot of flak over the CVT in the early years. If the Maxima wasn't FWD, I'd at least give it a look. The Infiniti 3.0L TT V6 is exclusive to Infiniti, so there aren't any Nissans that share the engine or transmission (non-CVT). The closest cousin to the VQ30 twin turbo is the Nissan GT-R, but that's like saying my 5.3L LS-engine in the GMC truck is the same as the LS7 in a Corvette Z06, lol. My biggest complaint on the Infiniti is that they are almost always a year or two behind Nissan in their adoption of tech stuff. Android Auto/Apple CarPlay wasn't available until 2019 in Infiniti, where it was available a year or two prior in Nissans (and other Infiniti competitors like Lexus/BMW/Audi). The instrument cluster is almost pulled straight over from Nissan though, which is almost absurd given the segment they are trying to reach. The Red Sport interior is decently pleasing with slightly better seats and quilted leather, but the regular Sport (and non-sport Q50 models) interior is plain boring.

All valid points. Even though Nissan makes a solid product the deal breaker for me is the CVT. My daughter had a Maxima a few years ago and my niece had a Rogue both with CVT. I would not have a car with that type transmission although I may not have much choice going forward since most manufacturers are going to them as a cost cutting measure.

G80 all day every day. I’d say resell is a mute point as Infiniti’s aren’t exactly that desirable. The Genesis will be as much or more reliable. That “less sporty” feel will be more welcome miles down the road. Busy rides get tiring after the excitement wears off. I haven’t checked prices lately but might be worth checking out Cadillacs. A CTS Vsport is an excellent car that should be down in the mid 30’s now. The magnaride dampers gives you the best of both worlds. Might even find a CT6 for mid 30’s now which is a sexy car with a twin turbo V6 and magnaride.

G80 all day every day. I’d say resell is a mute point as Infiniti’s aren’t exactly that desirable. The Genesis will be as much or more reliable. That “less sporty” feel will be more welcome miles down the road. Busy rides get tiring after the excitement wears off. I haven’t checked prices lately but might be worth checking out Cadillacs. A CTS Vsport is an excellent car that should be down in the mid 30’s now. The magnaride dampers gives you the best of both worlds. Might even find a CT6 for mid 30’s now which is a sexy car with a twin turbo V6 and magnaride.

I looked at some of the Caddy CTS stuff, but the CTS-Vs are still commanding mid-$40K for a 2014-era car. The ATS-line is way too small in the back seat. If the 2014-2015 Chevy SS wasn't so ugly on the outside, I'd consider it a possibility since it's got a pretty spicy V8 and a 6-spd manual option. Those are still commanding prices approaching their new cost for examples under 50K miles. It's a tough market out there.

All valid points. Even though Nissan makes a solid product the deal breaker for me is the CVT. My daughter had a Maxima a few years ago and my niece had a Rogue both with CVT. I would not have a car with that type transmission although I may not have much choice going forward since most manufacturers are going to them as a cost cutting measure.
Yeah I don't mind the CVT in a rental, and I can appreciate what it is designed to do. I just hate the way they sound/function when it comes to responsiveness. It's why I considered the Infiniti since they don't use a CVT at all in the Q50/Q60 lineup.

Sounds like it comes down to which one you can find the best example of.
Well, that's not too difficult since I'm open to traveling just about anywhere to get a good example. I have driven a couple of the Infiniti Q60 (couple version) as rentals so I know their general feel and layout, but I haven't driven the Q50 sedan.

Finding the Genesis G80 Sport is a bit tougher since they are much lower in production volume. I have access to a 2014 Genesis with the 5.0L V8, but it's quite a bit different from the newer model. Would love to at least test drive one to see if there are any show stoppers.

I looked at some of the Caddy CTS stuff, but the CTS-Vs are still commanding mid-$40K for a 2014-era car. The ATS-line is way too small in the back seat. If the 2014-2015 Chevy SS wasn't so ugly on the outside, I'd consider it a possibility since it's got a pretty spicy V8 and a 6-spd manual option. Those are still commanding prices approaching their new cost for examples under 50K miles. It's a tough market out there.
I wasn’t talking about a CTS-V. I was talking about the CTS-Vsport. It has a twin turbo v6 and upgraded suspension. The CT6 was also offered with the TT V6. I’ve seen them in your price range. When it come to driving enjoyment nothing beats a modern Cadillac.

Well, that's not too difficult since I'm open to traveling just about anywhere to get a good example. I have driven a couple of the Infiniti Q60 (couple version) as rentals so I know their general feel and layout, but I haven't driven the Q50 sedan.

Finding the Genesis G80 Sport is a bit tougher since they are much lower in production volume. I have access to a 2014 Genesis with the 5.0L V8, but it's quite a bit different from the newer model. Would love to at least test drive one to see if there are any show stoppers.

I'm looking at Auto Trader and it shows 14 G80 Sports within the Atlanta metro, but the asking price is a bit more than what you're looking for. I see there aren't any in zip code 74011.

If you plan to own it for 2+ years, it may be impossible to sell for any reasonable amount, as electric cars will take over that market segment.

I'm looking at Auto Trader and it shows 14 G80 Sports within the Atlanta metro, but the asking price is a bit more than what you're looking for. I see there aren't any in zip code 74011.
There's a few on FB Marketplace in the TX area in the $37-$38K range. Even so, the Infiniti isn't much different for low mileage examples. The model FB groups often have classifieds that don't hit autotrader and the pay-sites since they are free and sell to other group members. I'm looking to buy probably in the February time frame with the idea that lots of people will get their tax refunds and Christmas money to spend on a new car and dump their 3yr old vehicles that may be on leases. Offleaseonly.com out of Florida often has stuff like that.

I flew up to Oshkosh to buy my diesel Excursion when I found the right one, so I have no issues making a road trip. I have lots of flight mileage rewards built up, so the cost to travel is really nothing more than my time.

If you plan to own it for 2+ years, it may be impossible to sell for any reasonable amount, as electric cars will take over that market segment.
I generally keep my vehicles until they have at least 150K on the clock, so it's not much of a concern about reselling in the immediate future. Just a thought about it on down the road. I do agree that electric vehicles will eventually take over that market, but the ones that can lay down 5-second 0-60 times/13sec 1/4 miles will likely be in a different price bracket from these in another 10 years. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Tesla Model S still commanding a $20K used price in 10 years where these will be sub-$10K vehicles. It's just about how easy it will be to sell a G80 at that point versus something more popular like the Q50 or Cadillac.

I wasn’t talking about a CTS-V. I was talking about the CTS-Vsport. It has a twin turbo v6 and upgraded suspension. The CT6 was also offered with the TT V6. I’ve seen them in your price range. When it come to driving enjoyment nothing beats a modern Cadillac.
Ah, sorry I misread that. I had to look into the VSport as I wasn't really aware that it existed, lol. I was familiar with the TT V6 from the Cadillac ATS-V, just didn't know they made a CTS-V Lite model. Seems a bit under-appreciated for what it is. Might have to go digging around a bit to see one locally, although they seem to be a bit rare.

If you're not married to a "name" car, your money will buy you a new Honda Accord Sport 2.0T, a car that's been on Car and Driver's 10best list multiple times. Great handling, 0-60 in 5.4, which is plenty quick for a sedan, and it's new., you know how it's been treated and you get that new car warranty.

While some look down on Honda, I consider them to be a premium brand, and an often impressed when I drive some of their better work. Our '19 Civic Si sedan (~$25k car new) impresses me when I have a chance to drive it (It's my wife's car), it is so composed and the chassis and steering response is so well engineered that it drives two or three pay grades above the price. It really drives like a FAR more expensive car.

Genesis.

If you're not married to a "name" car, your money will buy you a new Honda Accord Sport 2.0T, a car that's been on Car and Driver's 10best list multiple times. Great handling, 0-60 in 5.4, which is plenty quick for a sedan, and it's new., you know how it's been treated and you get that new car warranty.

While some look down on Honda, I consider them to be a premium brand, and an often impressed when I drive some of their better work. Our '19 Civic Si sedan (~$25k car new) impresses me when I have a chance to drive it (It's my wife's car), it is so composed and the chassis and steering response is so well engineered that it drives two or three pay grades above the price. It really drives like a FAR more expensive car.
Also, :yeahthat:.

No brainer, go for the Genesis.

I have owned a few Nissans (all Z cars) and never had any complaints. ..
My wife has been in a Nissan or Infiniti product continuously for the last 12 years. Never again. Ever.

Her current Infiniti will likely be replaced by a GV80.

The Accord is no doubt a great car, but as good as it is it's not in the same ballpark as a G80. Plus the Accord is flat out ugly (subjective I know). Then there is the FWD vs RWD dynamics, ride quality, and noise isolation. I will agree that the interior isn't far off from entry level luxury cars. Most "luxury car interiors" are fake luxury anyway but that is a topic for another thread lol.

The Accord is no doubt a great car, but as good as it is it's not in the same ballpark as a G80. Plus the Accord is flat out ugly (subjective I know). Then there is the FWD vs RWD dynamics, ride quality, and noise isolation. I will agree that the interior isn't far off from entry level luxury cars. Most "luxury car interiors" are fake luxury anyway but that is a topic for another thread lol.

Couldn't have said it better myself. It's not that the Accord isn't a good car, it is. It's just outright uninspiring in almost every facet, despite being very good at what it does. My father had one (maybe '06 model) as a 2-dr V6 and it would get up and go pretty well since it didn't weigh much. Brakes left a lot to be desired and the handling was mushy (being compared to the '95 300ZX TT I was driving at the time).

I'm NOT a guy who cares much about brand name, nor is this a status car to be seen in. I've owned Chevy/GMC/Pontiac/Ford/Nissan in my relatively short driving lifespan, but was looking for something relatively sporty like my '07 Grand Prix GXP was (303HP v8), but not FWD and preferably a bit better overall quality since Pontiac was aiming for "excitement" and not "fit-n-finish", lol. I don't look down at Honda at all, in any of their products. It just doesn't quite fit the bill for this purchase. One of the issues that's come about is that many of the middle-ground players like Toyota/Honda/Mazda/etc. have stripped out the performance options from their vehicles and have tied themselves to just one turbo-4-cylinder engine option. I kind of like the way the Mazda6 looks, and they have pretty good interiors as well. The weak powerplant tosses it completely out the window.

I get it, especially if a RWD drivetrain is desired, not many choices these days. I go in cycles, right now I'm in the "I want a decent car but am not interested in spending big bucks" camp right now.

No brainer, go for the Genesis.

My wife has been in a Nissan or Infiniti product continuously for the last 12 years. Never again. Ever.

Her current Infiniti will likely be replaced by a GV80.

Man, sounds like there's a story there . . . what was so catastrophic about the Nissan/Infiniti she owned? The GV80 is a sharp looking crossover SUV, and with the optional 3.5L TT it will hold it's own against competitors like Lincoln Aviator and BMW X5. The new front/rear design that Genesis went to on all of their G-model vehicles definitely stands out. I don't really like the new grill on the 2021+ G80, but it looks fantastic on the GV80 (and upcoming GV90).

I get it, especially if a RWD drivetrain is desired, not many choices these days. I go in cycles, right now I'm in the "I want a decent car but am not interested in spending big bucks" camp right now.

You get it. I'm also in the same camp, but I'm running around in a 2007 GMC crew cab with 165K on the clock and the Active Fuel Management (shuts down have the cylinders) has started to cause issues as it is known to do. I bought a $120 module just to deactivate it and make it run on 8-cylinders full time. Should have done that years ago as it is much more responsive around town that way. The AFM system also causes it to burn 3+ qts every 5K miles, and has since we took ownership around 80K miles ago. This oil burning fouled out the catalytic converters as well, which I've remedied via some tuning trickery with the 02 sensors. Truck needs new tires in the next 20K miles and the suspension needs to have some work done for ball joints and probably front wheel bearings. I'd rather not dump $2K in parts into this truck if I don't have to. It's not the best time to be buying vehicles with everything so inflated, but it is what it is. I'm buying a few years used to try and alleviate a portion of the new car depreciation hit.

Sounds like your truck is well used! My "new" car is now almost five years old, the one before it I drove 17 years. You're due!

Sounds like your truck is well used! My "new" car is now almost five years old, the one before it I drove 17 years. You're due!

The truck itself is in decent shape overall, no rust and I've kept it fairly well maintained. We just don't have a need for the truck at the moment with the diesel Excursion doing all of the trailer towing and family trip duties. Having something to zip around in is more appealing, as well as the fact that I have access to several trucks with our parents nearby if the need to haul something big or dirty should arise. I wouldn't mind getting a something like a 2-dr sports coupe since the kids are small and can climb in a small back seat easily, but the wife insists on 4-doors.

Man, sounds like there's a story there . . . what was so catastrophic about the Nissan/Infiniti she owned? The GV80 is a sharp looking crossover SUV, and with the optional 3.5L TT it will hold it's own against competitors like Lincoln Aviator and BMW X5. The new front/rear design that Genesis went to on all of their G-model vehicles definitely stands out. I don't really like the new grill on the 2021+ G80, but it looks fantastic on the GV80 (and upcoming GV90).

Okay, here goes.

2010 Nissan Versa Hatchback, bought new. CVT trans repaired under warranty, replaced under warranty and remained a service nightmare. No matter which brand tire or TPMS sensor, all four wheels needed at least 5psi every month. Even as a budget-level economy car, it just felt cheap, despite Nissan parts and service demanding a premium price. Sold it with warranty time remaining at a 50% discount, which was better than any trade + incentive offers around.

Replaced with 2012 Infiniti EX35 Journey. 80/20 AWD, good V6 motor. Really, really wanted to love this car. Sporty drivetrain, suspension a little to stiff and could have used about an inch more travel.

Same deal with tires not holding pressure. Finally found a Falken tire and TPMS combo that worked after four sets of rubber in four years.

Front surroundview camera lens chipped. That’s a $635 camera with a $200 grill/fascia attached. Have to buy the whole thing to replace, so I’ve put it off.

It’s 2012 infotainment, as it were. Not a problem, as the sound is great, but aftermarket head units do not exist due to center console design. Seems minor, but having no carplay/android audio option is frustrating.

Ergonomics and driver visibility suck unless your Goldilock’s porridge. Not too tall, not too short, but just right in stature. I’m 5’10, 195lbs and the seat has to be against the back stops for me to have somewhat comfortable legroom. My wife is 5’1” and is nearly against the front stops. Neither of us have good visibility around the A pillar, the B pillar blocks too much side view, and rear view is a function of the large in appearance, but tiny in usefulness rear window.

Mechanically, it’s been ok; dual air filter elements on wither side of the grille with tiny elements that can be a pain to source locally so those get shipped from Amazon annually. Scheduled trans service is expensive and we’re half way to the 3rd service at 142K. Will sell it before then.

The proprietary nav system interfaces with both are more klunky than a Garmin 480 data entry on a GNS 430 UI.

Same deal with parts/service prices…probably not the level of frustration as Mazda, but close. With both vehicles, they seem to have just enough design flaws have left me irritated enough that every time I look at the Infinit, I say to myself fool me twice….shame on me.

Overall, Infiniti feels more like Nissan sees the brand as a profit center targeting the entry-level super sedan market at a mid-level price point. Neither product has left with feeling they were a good value of time despite being a good value at purchase.

My yardstick for a super sedan is the E39 M5; I think the Genesis gets you way closer for the same price as the Infiniti.

Ah, sorry I misread that. I had to look into the VSport as I wasn't really aware that it existed, lol. I was familiar with the TT V6 from the Cadillac ATS-V, just didn't know they made a CTS-V Lite model. Seems a bit under-appreciated for what it is. Might have to go digging around a bit to see one locally, although they seem to be a bit rare.

The VSport isn't all that common, but it's a different animal entirely than the true V. I've got a 2014 CTS-V wagon, which is a phenomenal car to drive. 560hp and full of creature comforts. But the wagons command mid to upper 50s (60s if a manual in a rare color).

. . . It’s 2012 infotainment, as it were. Not a problem, as the sound is great, but aftermarket head units do not exist due to center console design. Seems minor, but having no carplay/android audio option is frustrating.

That's partly the reason I'm looking at 2018+ models, is for compatibility with Android Auto. I put a top of the line Kenwood NAV/DVD in the Excursion which has wireless Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, and now the wife is hooked on it. Most of the OEM infotainment systems still require you to plug into the USB port for AA/AC, but that's doable. The real issue with all of the vehicles these days having the infotainment screens is that so many of the vehicles features/functions are only accessible via their proprietary screen/software. Upgrading down the road isn't much of an option like it was on the Excursion.

Overall, Infiniti feels more like Nissan sees the brand as a profit center targeting the entry-level super sedan market at a mid-level price point. Neither product has left with feeling they were a good value of time despite being a good value at purchase.

My yardstick for a super sedan is the E39 M5; I think the Genesis gets you way closer for the same price as the Infiniti.

I feel somewhat similar on Infiniti as it related to Nissan. They seem to have an appealing product when they initially bring out a new model as there's no doubt the Q50/Q60/etc are appealing in appearance (and decent performance as well). However, they don't seem to fully commit to making the vehicles truly outstanding. They rest on their laurels so-to-speak. The first generations of Infinitis were really good cars and a good value. The G35 was another solid car at the time. Since then, they've just kinda sat back and done minor refreshes on a lot of it. The Q50 hasn't been changed appreciably since it was debuted in 2014, and much of the interior is identical to the G37 before it.

Last edited:
The VSport isn't all that common, but it's a different animal entirely than the true V. I've got a 2014 CTS-V wagon, which is a phenomenal car to drive. 560hp and full of creature comforts. But the wagons command mid to upper 50s (60s if a manual in a rare color).

Absolutely. The true V models are beasts with supercharged V8's. Basically a Corvette sports sedan. The Vsport reminds me A LOT of the Pontiac Grand Prix/G8 GXP-lineup which had the 365/420HP V8 shoved into a 4-door sedan. Something that has decent giddyup and handling, but isn't an outright tire-melting animal like a true-V. Several reviews seemed to think it was better at being a BMW than actual BMWs in terms of sportiness and steering/handling.

That's partly the reason I'm looking at 2018+ models, is for compatibility with Android Auto. I put a top of the line Kenwood NAV/DVD in the Excursion which has wireless Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, and now the wife is hooked on it. Most of the OEM infotainment systems still require you to plug into the USB port for AA/AC, but that's doable.
Recently drove a rental Tuareg with wireless car play and loved it. My daily driver is a late 2016 produced 2017 F150 King Ranch 5.0 w/FX4. I bought in 2018 for $31K with 19K miles and it just oozes with value. It’s optioned out with all the right things and truly feels like I hit the jackpot on value, performance, reliability, and fit/finish markers. It makes the Infiniti feel cheap.

…They rest on their laurels so-to-speak. The first generations of Infinitis were really good cars and a good value. The G35 was another solid car at the time. Since then, they've just kinda sat back and done minor refreshes on a lot of it. The Q50 hasn't been changed appreciably since it was debuted in 2014, and much of the interior is identical to the G37 before it.

Isn’t that the Toyota model, too. Value is derived from minor incremental improvements to a reliable design over time. 10 years for a model generation is a long time and the 4Runner current generation is 12 model years old and Lexus GX, admittedly not a 4Runner but close enough, is going on 9 model years old.

Uninspiring but at least they hold their value, especially the 4Runner.

A good friend's uncle had a Vsport and I can tell you what, you want yearn for more power. It's got like 420 hp, rides like a Cadillac should, then turns into a back road animal with a push of a button. The downside is typical GM stuff. The interior isn't as rich as an E class of it's era. The Instrument cluster on all but the highest trim level is god awful. But you will get good reliability, great dynamics and room, and a pretty sexy looking exterior.

The CT6 fixes a lot of the CTS drawbacks and got the more up to date 3.0 TT while still handling well and tons of room. I would have no interest in a CT5, they seem like a step back and I have no interest in a 4 cylinder luxury car.

A good friend's uncle had a Vsport and I can tell you what, you want yearn for more power. It's got like 420 hp, rides like a Cadillac should, then turns into a back road animal with a push of a button. The downside is typical GM stuff. The interior isn't as rich as an E class of it's era. The Instrument cluster on all but the highest trim level is god awful. But you will get good reliability, great dynamics and room, and a pretty sexy looking exterior.

The CT6 fixes a lot of the CTS drawbacks and got the more up to date 3.0 TT while still handling well and tons of room. I would have no interest in a CT5, they seem like a step back and I have no interest in a 4 cylinder luxury car.

I've never been in a Mercedes E-class, so I won't have lofty aspirations for the finest interior quality, lol. I was wondering if the CTS-V hood and rear bumper/spoiler would swap right over to the VSport. I like the front end, but the rear end needs a little something to set it apart from a regular CTS. I've used the 2016+ CUE infotainment system in several rentals, including an Escalade and Yukon Denali. It's not my favorite as far as OEMs go, but it seems to have gotten a bit better over the years.

I've never been in a Mercedes E-class, so I won't have lofty aspirations for the finest interior quality, lol. I was wondering if the CTS-V hood and rear bumper/spoiler would swap right over to the VSport. I like the front end, but the rear end needs a little something to set it apart from a regular CTS. I've used the 2016+ CUE infotainment system in several rentals, including an Escalade and Yukon Denali. It's not my favorite as far as OEMs go, but it seems to have gotten a bit better over the years.
I'm sure the hood will, not sure about the rear bumper. I think the V has wider fenders but I suspect the bumper still mates at the same point.

This one looks pretty freaking amazing!
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...500&trimCodeList=CTS|Vsport&clickType=listing

Recently drove a rental Tuareg with wireless car play and loved it. My daily driver is a late 2016 produced 2017 F150 King Ranch 5.0 w/FX4. I bought in 2018 for $31K with 19K miles and it just oozes with value. It’s optioned out with all the right things and truly feels like I hit the jackpot on value, performance, reliability, and fit/finish markers. It makes the Infiniti feel cheap.

Interesting point. I sold my '08 F-150 Lariat w/every option available from Ford. The only thing that was less than stellar on it was the quality of the leather seat material, which was remedied if you bought the King Ranch. I bought it new for $30K in '08, sold it last year for $13K w/160K miles on it. Losing just over half its value in 12 years certainly seemed reasonable in my eyes. No issues with the infamous 5.4L cam phasers. Just an outright solid truck, but it was getting up in mileage and I was concerned the cap phaser issue might rear its head, so I sold it to buy the Excursion since the wife wanted a full-size SUV and I wasn't willing to spend $50K+ for a newer Expedition or Tahoe/Yukon.

I saw that one when searching last night. Definitely looks a lot more aggressive with the blacked out grill and CTS-V deck lid spoiler. Maybe it was an optional appearance package on them. That one is pretty clean as well.

So many people be hatin' on the CVT. I kind of like it.

So many people be hatin' on the CVT. I kind of like it.

It has it’s place and, tbh, like any new technology, teething problems and infant mortality improve over time.

Only 420hp? What is it, a minivan? :)

Back