New to Western Michigan

jdfrey1

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff Frey
Hello everyone, I am in the process of moving to Western Michigan and wanted to reach out to find other pilots in the area to network, maintain instrument currency and have fun. I'm an instrument rated private pilot with about 900 hours and own a 1981 Turbo Piper Saratoga that is currently hangared in Allegan (35D). I'm planning to move the plane to Holland (KBIV) as soon as a hangar opens up there. I'll be living in Byron Center as we just got a contract on a house there. My family and I use our plane mostly on trips but I do enjoy going out in the evenings or on weekend mornings to practice approaches and stay current. Please PM me with your information and maybe we can meet up at some point.

You might also want to check out the Red Board (AOPA member forum), if you're an AOPA member. There's a frequent poster there who is based at KBVI. AFAICR he doesn't post here.

You might also want to check out the Red Board (AOPA member forum), if you're an AOPA member. There's a frequent poster there who is based at KBVI. AFAICR he doesn't post here.

Thanks! I've cross posted there and on a few others.

Welcome to Michigan. :)

There are a lot of cool / nice places to fly to in Michigan. Holland is definitely a nice area to be located at. There are also some very active Facebook groups and meetings for lunch / air shows / pancake breakfasts are regular.

Welcome to Michigan. :)

There are a lot of cool / nice places to fly to in Michigan. Holland is definitely a nice area to be located at. There are also some very active Facebook groups and meetings for lunch / air shows / pancake breakfasts are regular.

Could you give me some of the group names that you are talking about? I'm not really finding them with the keywords that I'm using. Thanks!

Welcome to west Michigan, you will like KBIV, nice easy IFR in out and winds usually are down the runway 80% of the time.
I live in Holland and am Based out of Zeeland (Z98), I will PM you my contact info.

The Fredericks are in that area.

Nice area. I was up there for about 4 months and really enjoyed it.

You likely already know this ... Traverse City and Frankenmuth are cool towns to visit.

Hey JdFrey1, not sure if you know Ed Frederick Known affectionately as EdFred and his dad Brad Frederick a Comanche pilot and Cherokee pilot respectively. They are based at Hastings (9D9). Both are great guys and have done a lot for aviation. Brad Reopened Pricket Grooms field (6Y9) in the UP and along with his wife and Ed's mom Diz hosts the best labor day weekend flying, on field camping and you are treated like old friends even if it's your first fly in. Brad has also just reopened Fox Island airport and as I understand it is working on re-opening the airport at Two Hearted River in the Western UP. Both are on this board. I'll tell Ed to check in and perhaps you can connect. Apparently Ed does not really do much :) but he does corral a lot of POAers and other to attend the Labor Day Flyin and well he is a good friend to many of us here!

Last edited:
Hey Adam
Just wanted to clarify. Maybe you inserted Ed's name where it should have been Brad.
When Diz read this she said "what the heck?" Ed was just laughing about it.
Ed did not open North Fox Island Airstrip and he is not working on The Two Hearted Airstrip.
The person doing that or leading that is none other than myself as the RAF Liaison for Michigan.
I don't know where these rumors start.:)
Also on 6Y9 I opened that also so Ed would come up and visit the family cabin.
Ed's accomplishments on 6Y9 have been enlisting the great support from POA members who support 6Y9 and probably his most challenging accomplishment was teaching me to fly,something I will treasure for the rest of my life.
I'm hoping Ed will fly up to 6Y3 N.Fox Island soon ,it's a pretty cool place, Two Hearted we're talking with contractor's at the moment to see if it is even financially possible.
Your's Truly
Ed's Dad
Brad Frederick
Recreational Aviation Foundation Michigan Liaison
www.theraf.org

i.e. Ed sucks. But we all knew that! :)

See you guys over Labor Day...I'm planning on it this year! There's no one around to tell me no. :cool:

Last edited:
Jeff
There is a Dawn Patrol breakfast at Hastings Mi. 9D9 this Sat July 9 8am -12 noon
West Mi. pilots and people to meet there ,close to where you're at or will be at.
I'll be parking planes or flipping pancakes, look me up if you want to.
Safe Flying
Brad Frederick
PS There are hangers available at Hastings also ($185 mo.), Byron Center is about halfway between Holland and Hastings. I keep my plane at Hastings as does my son Ed.
We are also always looking for new members in the Hastings Flying Association;)

Hey Adam
Just wanted to clarify. Maybe you inserted Ed's name where it should have been Brad.
When Diz read this she said "what the heck?" Ed was just laughing about it.
Ed did not open North Fox Island Airstrip and he is not working on The Two Hearted Airstrip.
The person doing that or leading that is none other than myself as the RAF Liaison for Michigan.
I don't know where these rumors start.:)
Also on 6Y9 I opened that also so Ed would come up and visit the family cabin.
Ed's accomplishments on 6Y9 have been enlisting the great support from POA members who support 6Y9 and probably his most challenging accomplishment was teaching me to fly,something I will treasure for the rest of my life.
I'm hoping Ed will fly up to 6Y3 N.Fox Island soon ,it's a pretty cool place, Two Hearted we're talking with contractor's at the moment to see if it is even financially possible.
Your's Truly
Ed's Dad
Brad Frederick
Recreational Aviation Foundation Michigan Liaison
www.theraf.org

Ack! Brad I am sorry for my fat fingers! Yes you are indeed correct, I did mean to post that you were the one involved in the re-opening of Fox Island and Two Harted River. I apologize for the misplaced credit. I thought that Ed assisted with 6Y9er so again my apologies. Ed told me about the Two Hearted River project I just mistakenly typed his name rather than yours. Interesting however that Ed did not call and correct me hmmmmm. I have corrected my original post!

Last edited:
Adam
No problem ,Ed does a lot and does it well.
Myself,well I need to take credit where I can.:rolleyes:

Hey JdFrey1, not sure if you know Ed Frederick Known affectionately as EdFred and his dad Brad Frederick a Comanche pilot and Cherokee pilot respectively. They are based at Hastings (9D9). Both are great guys and have done a lot for aviation. Ed Reopened Pricket Grooms field (6Y9) in the UP and host the best labor day weekend flying, on field camping and you are treated like old friends even if it's your first fly in. Brad has also just reopened Fox Island airport and as I understand it is working on re-opening the airport at Two Hearted River in the Western UP. Both are on this board. I'll tell Ed to check in and perhaps you can connect.
Adam
still a correction above- Brad opened Prickett Grooms 6Y9 and Diz does all the work hosting the Fly In ,Ed does the amazing fly bys in his Comanche.;)

Jeff
There is a Dawn Patrol breakfast at Hastings Mi. 9D9 this Sat July 9 8am -12 noon
West Mi. pilots and people to meet there ,close to where you're at or will be at.
I'll be parking planes or flipping pancakes, look me up if you want to.
Safe Flying
Brad Frederick
PS There are hangers available at Hastings also ($185 mo.), Byron Center is about halfway between Holland and Hastings. I keep my plane at Hastings as does my son Ed.
We are also always looking for new members in the Hastings Flying Association;)

Thanks Brad, sounds like a good excuse to fly on Saturday. If I make it I will look you up.

Back