NEW TO THE AIRSPACE :-)

Is he assigned to North Island?

@Pilawt said he got a Carrier. The big ones do moor at North Island, they can’t get down the bay to the Naval Station. There’s no Flying Club at NZY anymore. It moved over to MYF years ago. It still exists as the Armed Forces Aero Club, http://www.flyafac.com/template.php...nc&PHPSESSID=b8851ca664e00823999ce64a7975e7c6

Yeah but is he assigned to SD? I think they pull from different land bases (North Island, PT Mugu, Whidbey) for CATCC?

MYF is a good start for flight training, especially if using GI Bill. I flew out of National but I think they’re gone.

Great morning for flying!

View attachment 54681
maan you look happy!:D

screen-shot-2017-07-08-at-12-59-05-pm-png.54681

Yeah but is he assigned to SD? I think they pull from different land bases (North Island, PT Mugu, Whidbey) for CATCC?

MYF is a good start for flight training, especially if using GI Bill. I flew out of National but I think they’re gone.

The ships Controllers are assigned to the ship. That’s their duty station. They don’t pull controllers from various Shore Duty stations each time they go to sea. I think. That’s the way it was when I was in. I doubt if that has changed.

The ships Controllers are assigned to the ship. That’s their duty station. They don’t pull controllers from various Shore Duty stations each time they go to sea. I think. That’s the way it was when I was in. I doubt if that has changed.

That would kinda suck then depending on what they do when they’re back on shore. 6 months at sea and then 6 months at shore doing busy work not controlling a thing.

Marines pull from station controllers for deployments. They remain current while at station and then deploy with (MACS) on exercise for tac ops. Marines of course are about saving money and utilizing personnel to the max though. Army does the same.

Last edited:
That would kinda suck then depending on what they do when they’re back on shore. 6 months at sea and then 6 months at shore doing busy work not controlling a thing.

Marines pull from station controllers for deployments. They remain current while at station and then deploy with (MACS) on exercise for tac ops. Marines of course are about saving money and utilizing personal to the max though. Army does the same.

Yeah. When the MAG is in town, with it's MATCU, it's controllers were sent to be part of the Stations ATC department. When the MAG left, with it's airplanes, the Controllers went back to the MATCU. Unless the MAG went somewhere where there was already ATC and the MATCU didn't have to go. Happened to me when I was at Iwakunii. When Operation Linebacker started MAG 12 went to Da Nang so they didn't have to take the MATCU along. MAG 15 went to Nam Phong where there was no ATC already there so we had to go. After getting out I re enlisted, but into the Navy. I was at North Island. The controllers from the Carriers didn't come over to work at the Station. From what I heard from the guys who had done Sea Duty before, they kept them busy at the boat. Simulator training, chipping paint and stuff like that.

Last edited:
Yeah. When the MAG is in town, with it's MATCU, it's controllers were sent to be part of the Stations ATC department. When the MAG left, with it's airplanes, the Controllers went back to the MATCU. Unless the MAG went somewhere where there was already ATC and the MATCU didn't have to go. Happened to me when I was at Iwakunii. When Operation Linebacker started MAG 12 went to Da Nang so they didn't have to take the MATCU along. MAG 15 went to Nam Phong where there was no ATC already there so we had to go. After getting out I re enlisted, but into the Navy. I was at North Island. The controllers from the Carriers didn't come over to work at the Station. From what I heard from the guys who had done Sea Duty before, they kept them busy at the boat. Simulator training, chipping paint and stuff like that.

Didn’t know you did Marine ATC. Thought you were Navy the whole time. North Island probably had real traffic when you were there. Place was pretty dead in 99 when I was up the road at NKX. It’s really a ghost town now with all the S-3s retired. Lots of Naval Aviation history in that place though. Probably one of the coolest places to be stationed as well.

I did MACS-4 for a year in Oki.

06127063-E460-437A-9855-E143265F3CA4.gif

Didn’t know you did Marine ATC. Thought you were Navy the whole time. North Island probably had real traffic when you were there. Place was pretty dead in 99 when I was up the road at NKX. It’s really a ghost town now with all the S-3s retired. Lots of Naval Aviation history in that place though. Probably one of the coolest places to be stationed as well.

View attachment 68579

Yeah. it was pretty busy when I was there, 75-77. VS41, the S-3 RAG, was flyin the wings off the planes. No real simulators yet, all the training had to be done in the air. It got busier when they started moving the Helicopters to NZY from NRS, Imperial Beach. I enjoyed the time I was there. Coronado's a cool town

View attachment 68579

Just rung a bell. I'm pretty sure MACS 4 was at Nam Phong. They didn't stay long though if I remember right. There wasn't much for them to do because the Air Force ran the Tactical show. And I think they left their ASR Antennae with us because ours wasn't working right.

Back