New to PoA? Can't Post? Read this! **REALLY - NEW USERS NEED TO READ THIS***

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
If you are relatively new to Pilots of America and can not post, please go to the Registration Problems forum and post a request for access. This step is necessary for members who registered using a known free email service, as an extra step to prevent non-human registrations.

Users who can post will not be able to see this forum and can disregard this message.

If you can not post, AND can not see the Registration Problems forum, then please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page to report the problem.

Emails and PMs to staff members will not guarantee resolution of your posting problem, so please follow the proper channels.

Thank you,
The administration

Re: New to PoA? Can't Post? Read this!

Greebo said:
If you are relatively new to Pilots of America and can not post, please go to the Registration Problems forum and post a request for access.

You sound like the IT guys in my company that when I called to report a network outage told me to go the the web site and fill in a trouble ticket. I had to point out that since the network was down I could not get to their web page. There response was "well I guess that is why we are getting a lot of phone calls all of a sudden". :rolleyes:

So just how is a guy who cannot post supposed to post a request asking for help with his in inability to post? If he could post the request for help with his posting problem shouldn't he be, well, able to POST??

smigaldi said:
So just how is a guy who cannot post supposed to post a request asking for help with his in inability to post? If he could post the request for help with his posting problem shouldn't he be, well, able to POST??
You don't have to be a Registered User to post in Registration Problems.

It's worked fine since April so I suspect he's worked out any bugs by now. ;)

Greebo said:
If you are relatively new to Pilots of America and can not post, please go to the Registration Problems forum and post a request for access. This step is necessary for members who registered using a known free email service, as an extra step to prevent non-human registrations.

Users who can post will not be able to see this forum and can disregard this message.

If you can not post, AND can not see the Registration Problems forum, then please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page to report the problem.

Emails and PMs to staff members will not guarantee resolution of your posting problem, so please follow the proper channels.

Thank you,
The administration

Wait, that means since I saw this forum, I can't post anymore?:dunno:

Greebo said:
This step is necessary for members who registered using a known free email service, as an extra step to prevent non-human registrations.

Chuck, save yourself some work! Implement CAPTCHA (acronym for "completely automated public Turing test to tell computers and humans apart") using PHP... you know, that's the use of a human-only-readable randomly-generated image that provides a distorted or obscured text key the person has to enter at the time of registration.

Here's a working PHP example with complete source code:

http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/Web_Security.asp

This post was made from my new Suse Linux install. COOL!

Troy Whistman said:
Chuck, save yourself some work! Implement CAPTCHA (acronym for "completely automated public Turing test to tell computers and humans apart") using PHP... you know, that's the use of a human-only-readable randomly-generated image that provides a distorted or obscured text key the person has to enter at the time of registration.

Here's a working PHP example with complete source code:

http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/Web_Security.asp

This post was made from my new Suse Linux install. COOL!
You had to pass a CAPTCHA test to register, Troy. Everyone did, including myself.

Greebo said:
You had to pass a CAPTCHA test to register, Troy. Everyone did, including myself.

Ah, it's been so long since I registered, I forgot! With CAPTCHA in place, you still have bots registering successfully??

Troy Whistman said:
Ah, it's been so long since I registered, I forgot! With CAPTCHA in place, you still have bots registering successfully??
We had a major bandwidth hit a few months ago that made me suspect it. We had dozens of guest users downloading a particular file, and then when I blocked Guest attachment viewing, we had users registering and downloading the file over and over and over.

It was a big enough bandwidth hit and struck me as suspicious enough to enact a new policy where free email accounts have to go through an extra layer of registration to prove their humanity, and we don't have the download spaming anymore. Maybe coincidence, maybe not.

But we still have a few free-email regs a day, and not very many of them actually bother to complete the last step. I think many of them just don't *READ* the instructions they get in the mail...*sigh* cause I get about 3-6 "contact us" reports a week from ppl who somehow miss the "REGISTRATION PROBLEMS" forum at the top of the list... *sigh*

I'm tempted to put a Marquee in that forum desc just to draw attention to it!

Bumping this because people are missing the message again.

I've GOT to come up with a marquee banner or something for users who can't post cause of free email systems.

Troy Whistman said:

I am a Security and Risk Consultant and can confirm that there are systems out there now capable of beating some CAPTCHA systems.

tdager said:
I am a Security and Risk Consultant and can confirm that there are systems out there now capable of beating some CAPTCHA systems.

And as an Internet and Computer User, I can confirm that there are CAPTCHA systems out there now capable of beating me... I've had some that distort the letters SO much and clutter them with so much background art that I've got to try 3 or 4 times before I get a good match.

tdager said:
Yep. I've seen some get through.

One clever thing I heard was being done was to show your CAPCHA graphic to a phish on a phishing site and have them give you the text. That way you get free human help.

They're even getting by one time factor systems by using a man in the middle so this ain't a challenge.

Routine bump for new non-confirmed users.

Bumping this again. Getting an influx of new users who are registering from free emails.

I expect that there will be even more with the uproar going on at the Red board
I am glad we dont have that nonsense here.

I expect that there will be even more with the uproar going on at the Red board
I am glad we dont have that nonsense here.

This is not a nonsense free zone. From time to time there has been some issues. We are after all human, well most of us anyways. It is just that this board tends to attract smaller amounts of people so you do not see some of the issues that the red board sees and there is an active management council here. This board does not run open loop like other places sometimes do.

Perhaps this should be another thread though. I will refrain and restrain myself.

How do I replace my Chat room paramaters I deleted my cookies as suggested i would like to be able to use the default parameters ??

Um...you don't need it...you couldn't have replied to this post if you did...

Time to revive this thread, I think...had a rush of new users with free email accounts.

Welcome, new users - please read the first post in this thread.

I wonder if there's a way I could make this particular article show up to EVERYONE who signs up from a free email service?

Then maybe I wouldn't get so many emails asking me, "Why can't I post?" :)

Anyway - new users, welcome! If you came from gmail or yahoo or msn as your email provider, you can't post because of it. Please read the first post in this thread for information on how to fix that.

Obligatory occasional bump. To new users frustrated by our registration process - I know we have extra hoops that are a nuisance, but it is successful in keeping spam down, so we're sorry for the inconvenience, but at least you only have to go through it once. ;)

Back