New to me METAR term.

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
From KDAL as a thunderstorm was passing through. "CONS LTGICCCCG"

But the code made sense once converted to plain words: "continuous lightning in-cloud cloud-to-cloud cloud-to-ground"

KDAL 041013Z 21019G27KT 3SM +TSRA SCT050CB BKN090 OVC110 24/21 A2985 RMK AO2 PKWND 21027/1011 PRESFR VIS E 2 CONS LTGICCCCG TS OHD-ALQDS MOV E P0003 T02440206

First time I've seen those all put together. Come to think of it, most storms have in-cloud, cloud-to-ground/cloud at same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTW I'm out of town in Ohio (live in Fort Worth). I saw the radar this AM... Looked pretty nasty down there..?

In this age of instant communication, isn't it ridiculous that this information is still posted in the shorthand format that was used on old Telex machines! It should not be necessary to translate into clear language, post it that way only!

In this age of instant communication, isn't it ridiculous that this information is still posted in the shorthand format that was used on old Telex machines!

Seriously...I sometimes feel like I am trying to decipher a 16 year old's text message sometimes.

I just wish they would come up with something different for smoke. FU

I was flying from Houston (KIWS) to Plainview (KPVW) and eventually to Denver (KAPA) this morning very early. I watched that mess over Dallas last night and all this morning. Haven't heard of any tornados but it wouldn't surprise me to hear there were some funnels.

I arrived in Denver and got pics from my mother of several large branches that had fallen off a very large tree in her front yard into the street (hitting nothing but the ground, thankfully). Intense storms for sure.

Last edited:
First time I've seen those all put together. Come to think of it, most storms have in-cloud, cloud-to-ground/cloud at same time.

It's nothing new. I've seen that since I was a student pilot in 1968.

I had that on my oral and thought it was a typo. Lol

"What's the difference? I wouldn't / couldn't fly in that anyway!"

He laughed.. Then waited for me to decipher it

In this age of instant communication, isn't it ridiculous that this information is still posted in the shorthand format that was used on old Telex machines! It should not be necessary to translate into clear language, post it that way only!
Seriously...I sometimes feel like I am trying to decipher a 16 year old's text message sometimes.

Actually, I find it far easier to absorb the information quickly if/when reading the "shorthand" than I do when reading the decoded version.

That said, this is a new one for me also.

@AggieMike88 I am pretty sure I blew past you on FliFo today south of the bravo.
I heard what sounded like your voice / tail number.

I was in the process of diving like a mad man to get under the layer that you were happily IFR-ing through.

Yup... you were in front of me.... and nearly caught up with ya by the time I was passing KAFW.

I tell ya, being on an IFR flight plan today is where it was at... Nice, smooth, and much , MUCH cooler at 8000 than where you were under that clag.

And too bad you couldn't do that quick run to McAlester and back with me. Had some more really nice IMC both directions. Got at least 0.7 actual in the log book from those two flights.

Last edited:
BTW I'm out of town in Ohio (live in Fort Worth). I saw the radar this AM... Looked pretty nasty down there..?
Around 4:30am-6:00am it was. I had an Angel Flight planned (review/story being written) and the thunder woke me up 30 minutes before my 5:30am alarm. Then I got the jolt of adrenaline when I realized I had left the car windows partially down because it was so blasted hot the evening prior. A dash out to remedy that got me soaked through even before I headed to take a shower.

Had to delay for an hour before departing for KDAL to pick up my Angel Flight passenger. But we were able to go VFR over there and it was super cool to see the distant cloud to ground lightning and the odd jet descend out of the upper murk.

Back