New To Flight Following - Questions?

Sage advice. Give them a nudge, draw their eyes to you on the scope. Keep it short and simple. This is not the time for 'who they are, who you are, blah blah.' "tower for Buzzbomb 34X" is a good one to
I agree. In my opinion, 7 miles is where I'll ask if not given. That happens to be the same number that we are suppose to handoff to all the towers in our airspace via the LOA. Exception is if you're on an instrument approach in which case it the FAF.

As a former controller IF ATC doesn't switch you to tower just say 'airport in sight' and 99.9% they'll switch you. Sometimes they get busy with other things (IFR traffic, etc) and while not forgetting about you, you're lower priority in their workload.

Reviewing page 5-8 in SAP, what change in text would you suggest? I think that I covered all the bases there. Insofar as a handoff from an approach controller to a tower is concerned, the controller's handbook tells a controller

2-1-14. COORDINATE USE OF AIRSPACE
a. Ensure that the necessary coordination has been accomplished before you allow an aircraft under your control to enter another controller's area of jurisdiction.

There is an inherent conflict in that the AIM tells pilots to establish communications with the tower prior to entering the Class D while the controller's manual puts the ball in their court. My practice has been to give the approach controller a little nudge if a handoff is not forthcoming: "Buzzbomb 34X is going to the tower." "34X, frequency change approved" is the usual response.

Bob
Bob, I just re-read 5-7 thru 5-12 and I think you really covered it well! If I were to recommend anything, perhaps a short bit on "Flight Following" vs "Radar Services" vs "Traffic Advisories" to avoid any confusion. I know when I first heard the term "radar services" I did not immediately associate it with flight following or traffic advisories.

What I liked about all of the responses here is that it seems in busy areas the much shortened initial call of: "Approach Bugsmasher 12345 Request" might be mentioned and why. And then show the entire full request after the "Go head".

Regarding specifying type during the request, maybe 1 correct example of the aircraft type if provided. For example I would probably say "C182 slash uniform" because that's what I've been saying on VFR flight plans. However, maybe that should just be "CE182" (no equipment designator) which is what I recently entered into IACRA. Mainly, just provide one specific example since we don't have Air Traffic Control Handbook. Use a 172 or Archer or something really common.

Actually, I finished my PPL and had never used flight following. Maybe a single line indicating to ask your instructor to demonstrate it at least once during training.

I hope you didn't take it wrong, just following your book I would have enough info to make the call and get it right! But I have to admit that hearing the other variations (in this thread) and why does help in understanding the big picture and what other options might work better.

Bob, I just re-read 5-7 thru 5-12 and I think you really covered it well! If I were to recommend anything, perhaps a short bit on "Flight Following" vs "Radar Services" vs "Traffic Advisories" to avoid any confusion. I know when I first heard the term "radar services" I did not immediately associate it with flight following or traffic advisories.

What I liked about all of the responses here is that it seems in busy areas the much shortened initial call of: "Approach Bugsmasher 12345 Request" might be mentioned and why. And then show the entire full request after the "Go head".

Regarding specifying type during the request, maybe 1 correct example of the aircraft type if provided. For example I would probably say "C182 slash uniform" because that's what I've been saying on VFR flight plans. However, maybe that should just be "CE182" (no equipment designator) which is what I recently entered into IACRA. Mainly, just provide one specific example since we don't have Air Traffic Control Handbook. Use a 172 or Archer or something really common.

Actually, I finished my PPL and had never used flight following. Maybe a single line indicating to ask your instructor to demonstrate it at least once during training.

I hope you didn't take it wrong, just following your book I would have enough info to make the call and get it right! But I have to admit that hearing the other variations (in this thread) and why does help in understanding the big picture and what other options might work better.

That will be fixed...thanks. There is no consensus among controllers about including "Request" in the initial call, so I am reluctant to suggest it as an accepted procedure. Some say, in essence, "I know you want something...that's why you called me. Spit it out." Others say "Just make contact, then make your request. I'm too busy to absorb it all at once." Much depends on geography and/or the type of facility you are calling. Despite our mutual desire for standardization, there are still some gaps.

I'm always open to suggestions.

Bob

What works for me is that Class D, non-TRSA controllers (i.e. Tower and Ground) get the whole request on the initial call. All others (i.e. Class B/C/TRSA ground and approach, and Center) get the two-step treatment. This is on the East coast at least. Things seem a bit different out west.

"Page 5-7. Under Radar Flight Following, third line. After “…VFR flight plan…” insert “You won’t find “flight following” in the AIM index…the official name is Radar Services to VFR Aircraft (AIM 4-1-17) but no one uses that terminology. Do not think that a controller will be watching your every move, however; you will get help when you ask for it but will receive no services other than traffic advisories. Controllers cannot see clouds or keep you from violating visual flight rules, so do not expect hand-holding. When your flight…”

"Page 5-7. Under Radar Flight Following, third line. After “…VFR flight plan…” insert “You won’t find “flight following” in the AIM index…the official name is Radar Services to VFR Aircraft (AIM 4-1-17) but no one uses that terminology. Do not think that a controller will be watching your every move, however; you will get help when you ask for it but will receive no services other than traffic advisories. Controllers cannot see clouds or keep you from violating visual flight rules, so do not expect hand-holding. When your flight…”

Not in the index but flight following is in the PCG.

That will be fixed...thanks. There is no consensus among controllers about including "Request" in the initial call, so I am reluctant to suggest it as an accepted procedure.

I can tell ya first hand that at least SoCal Tracon during their pilot tours is asking for what is stated in the AIM for FF initial call up...Who you are, where you are, request if short. "SoCal, Skylane 12345, 10 east of Fullerton, Flight Following Request"...then WAIT for their response.

I had an CFII was was in the blurt it out camp but I changed my ways hearing that direct from a Tracon supervisor.

"SoCal, Skylane 12345, 10 east of Fullerton, Flight Following Request"...then WAIT for their response.

Well gee, by then you've already told them 90% of what they need to know so what's the point of splitting it into two calls?

That change would have helped me! I hope others chime in if you are looking for more than review of a proposed change.

When I was learning to fly out of CRQ, I was taught when VFR to make the initial call XXXX Departure Cessna 12345 VFR Request and wait for them to call back before rattling off the req

So what is an easy/quick way to request FF from one airport to another, not in a straight in line, for sight seeing purposes?

So what is an easy/quick way to request FF from one airport to another, not in a straight in line, for sight seeing purposes?

"Podunk Center, BuzzBomb 1234X VFR from Bigtown to Dogpatch Municipal. Request flight following. Expect to maneuver over Blue Lake for sightseeing enroute."

POD should then assign a transponder code, possibly ask for an ident, and report "Radar contact" with a position.

Bob

Flight following does not ever require a straight line or direct. Fly where ya want. You may get "say route of flight" or similar request from ATC if they are curious as to your intentions so they know what to expect from ya then just let them know what ya are planning on doing.

Back