New to everything

NegGhostrider

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
NegGhostrider
Hello every one!
Since this is my first post figured I should say hi and thank you for such a informative forum I have read so much good info on here (well sounds good new to all this). I am just about to start my journey with the pilot world and figured this would be a good place to start. this fall I am starting the professional pilot program at central Oregon community college with the flight school being leading edge aviation. The main reason for this is I am using my GI Bill to cover the cost. My one question (yes I have used the search button and google) is they are mainly a rotorwing school but have fixed wing programs should this be concerning? Well thanks for any info ahead of time and cant wait to hear from everyone.

V/R,
NegGhostrider

All the best on your aviation adventure and thank you for your service.
I would talk to some of the people in the program and see what they say.

Thank you and yes I have been trying to find folks in the fixed wing program guess I will keep trying.

Thanks excited to jump into a new world. Not afraid to jump in with both feet.

I can't offer much information or advice, but wanted to say howdy...and I bet you'll see some beautiful sights up high in Oregon.
Good luck, and stay safe.

Thanks already took the family up to bend oregon and they loved it. Most people call me crazy because I'm leaving socal with a government job benefits and all that to be a pilot.

Are you wanting to go for helicopter or fixed-wing? Having both programs wouldn't concern me at all, why would it?

There's several knowledgeable rotorwing guys on this board that can hopefully offer advice, if you choose to go that route.

Best of luck to you!

I would love to go rotor but being 6'6" 240 working on dropping down to 210 but can't see that. I'm just glad to get in the program that uses my GI bill.

Thanks excited to jump into a new world. Not afraid to jump in with both feet.
Think u are mixing up.... skydivers jump with both feet... u stay in the plane in this world

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Well I already jump out of planes figured I would stay in them for a living.

You are so gonna love this!!!

As a newbie myself, the first thing I would recommend is to make sure your medical is totally clean. If you already have your medical please ignore. If you are on any prescriptions, any ER visits or surgeries, any alcohol related issues (especially DUI), any drug related issues, any diagnosed psych issues, ADHD, any violent crimes, arson, etc...please wait on your medical and let others help you before you go in to see the AME.

At 6'6" you might want to sit in their planes to find the one that fits you best. And meet some of their instructors now, if they are flying a really small plane and your CFI is a bigger fella than you (not usually the case) you might be near W&B.

Actually, spend time now meeting their instructors and getting to know them a bit! Maybe pay for a 1st hr with at at least 2 of them. Where I am training has a 141 school. I can see the scheduling can get a bit competitive so maybe you can get your login early to see how tight their plane / instructor rental schedules are?

And don't buy a used headset from the helicopter pilots :) Most of them have different connectors. A neighbor donated us a old set of D/C's from his Army helicopter days. No joy.

Yup med is good did that a week or 2 ago class 2. I have already sat in their planes I fit all though snug. Most of there CFI's are smaller guys I didn't get a chance to fly with them only had 2 days up in Oregon before heading back to socal. I email there instructors and talk about flight times and how stacked it gets in the school but 80% of the folks up there are for rotor wing. I already have a good head set and if I need to change the U/174U plug to GA I can, my current job is a electronic tech for the forest service and I have my FCC radiotelephone lic (allows me to play with high powered radio/radar and aviation radios).

Now let me ask everyone this I do have a couple navy helmets (change from high to low impedance so it working in GA/COM aviation) anyone see a reason to wear a helmet vs headset. I'm just a big safety guy so the safer I can be the better.

You are way ahead of the game...good for you!! I suspect you'll have to change out the plug but you can do that in your sleep.

Regarding the full helmet (Go Navy BTW!!! ... unless you are a Marine then we'll just have to fight first!) I suspect you'll just get funny looks and be way too warm in the summer. When my wife digs our her full helmet for things like show & tell at school my daughter and I give her some major grief. But when she was walking out to the Mohawk to fly along with her good friend, no one gave her any **** :)

Now let me ask everyone this I do have a couple navy helmets (change from high to low impedance so it working in GA/COM aviation) anyone see a reason to wear a helmet vs headset. I'm just a big safety guy so the safer I can be the better.

Most people don’t wear helmets in GA even though in many of the fatal GA accidents (both Fixed Wing and Rotorcraft) the cause of death is listed as head injury.

From my personal experience a traumatic brain injury can create a lot of limitations.

I wear a helmet in both open and enclosed rotorcraft.

Head injuries may be cumulative.

Yup Navy but wasn't a fleet sailor only stationed in Coronado. I know plenty of marines my father being one of them.

I kind of figured I would get weird looks if I jumped in a Cessna 172/182 with a HGU84 on but I like my head where it is. I fly a lot in the summer for work in heli but was never hot in the socal heat. but I will more then likely end up buying a Zulu 3 or A20.

My main goal is to 1) Get all my lic 2) Have someone pay me to fly 3) learn to fly backcountry/bush aviation but that's way down the line. Right now its just to enjoy the new adventure.

Welcome. I don't have anything to add. Thank you for your service.

I'm at a professional pilot program at a university here in Maryland using my GI Bill, my flight school teaches both fixed and helo, shoot my instructor is a retired Army Colonel helicopter pilot who jumps from helo to fixed and back throughout the day, no concerns whatsoever.

Also, I hear you about people thinking you are crazy. I am leaving a 6 fig gov job to pursue the dream once I finish all my ratings (hopefully late this year/early next year)

If you can swing it, come to Oshkosh, WI in a few weeks. All the best with everything.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one that's been called crazy to follow this dream! My plan is go through the entire fixed wing course then with the rest of my GI bill go back (after some more weight loss) and start the rotor program then maybe pay for the rest of the rotor program out of pocket.

I don't think this year I will be able to make it to airventure next year I am planning on getting out there

All the best on your aviation adventure and thank you for your service.
I would talk to some of the people in the program and see what they say.
This...especially, thank you for your service. I'm sure you get that a lot, but there are many of us out there that truly do appreciate it more than you realize!

Thank you it was the best worst times in my life but I would do it all again in a heart beat maybe as an officer though lol. Just hoping I can have the same amount of fun being a pilot!

Thanks I appreciate that alot I know I'm going to be full of questions once I start the school! You know what they say team work makes the dream work!

My plane is in the shop right now. I do try to take aspiring pilots up for a flight or 2 once in a while, when timing works out. I like my oil(engine) warmed up at least every two weeks, no need to be solo.

That's awesome thats what I love about the aviation community. If I ever get a plane that's what I plane on doing.

Back