New task-based rule - how many hours is enough?

MonkeyClaw

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Timothy Miller
With the new task-based rules from the FAA, the 40-hr fly-off can be replaced with a task-based plan. I'm in the process of going through phase 1 on my gyro now, but many of the standard EAA cards that are recommended don't even apply. I've changed some of the tasks to be gyro-relevant (e.g. slowest controllable airspeed instead of stall speeds, etc.). Even so, I've generally been able to knock out several cards in a flight. I'm at just over 17 hours now, and plan on doing some more phase 1 flights with a different configuration, but I'll most likely be done by 20 hours. Keep in mind, several of those hours were just me getting transitioned into the aircraft and getting used to it, and the factory pilot did the first 6 hours (which knocked out a few cards also).

Even though there's no minimum number of hours required, I feel like there should be SOME logical number that you want to get to before heading off into the wild blue yonder.

What say all of you smarter and more experienced folks?

Assuming you have the new revised wording in your OPLIMS that authorizes you to use the task-based plan in lieu of the traditional 40 or 25 hr Phase I flyoff https://www.eaa.org/eaa/news-and-pu...-/media/a87d5f446c134ada9e163f441c023b91.ashx, if you have completed the test plan you developed IAW Advisory Circular 90-89C (and hopefully reviewed by your DAR) then you're done. As you indicated there aren't any mandatory hours associated with the task-based plan which is the whole point.

Last edited:
I'm certain this will be abused, but I'm gonna guess that under the old rules there were joyrides with two in the plane at less than 40 hours anyway.
Completing the tasks is how we certify aviation products (the only "hour" requirements involve endurance testing.)

I'm certain this will be abused, but I'm gonna guess that under the old rules there were joyrides with two in the plane at less than 40 hours anyway.
Completing the tasks is how we certify aviation products (the only "hour" requirements involve endurance testing.)

No doubt. In my case, I spent the last 5-6 hours of my 40 hr Phase 1 simply flying around solo burning avgas. However, my hope is that folks will be more diligent in performing an actual test plan vs simply flying around for a bunch of hours and making a log entry if they go with the task-based Phase I. In the end it's an honor system no matter which method you opt to use. But I see the tasked based method coupled with the additional pilot program as a plain common-sense approach to meeting the requirement.

I had a 25 hour Phase I. Finished all the tasks in much less than the 25 hours and spent a bunch of time flying a loop from Sebastian-River Ranch-Okeechobee-Ft. Pierce-Sebastian.

I always felt bad for the guys with a 40 hour Phase I.

I always felt bad for the guys with a 40 hour Phase I.
I used all 40 the first time through, but I was more thorough than I probably needed to be.
After significant mods I used considerably less, but I'm also revisiting a few things post signoff.

Nauga,
and the old days of TECHEVAL

Why do some only have to do 25 and others have to do 40?

Why do some only have to do 25 and others have to do 40?

If you have an unaltered certified engine and prop combo, you're eligible for but not guaranteed a 25hr fly off. Otherwise you get the 40hr fly off. In my case my IO-540 had a non-certified fuel injection system so I had no option but to go the 40hr route. If I was doing it today, I'd ask for the tasked based option vs hrs.

Back