Temporary user waypoints
Fuel on board and at destination on MFD and endurance
Weather map to be other than north up if wanted
Video support on MFD
New page navigation
SVT Pathways
Flight plan import and export
And much more.

What is a typical cost for the SW upgrade?

If it's anything like the Diamonds, figure two hours of labor at your favorite avionics shop. Pretty simple, and generally worthwhile.

I tell ya, I'd pay that much just for the data logging feature - But then, I'm a geek. :D It actually has come in very handy a couple of times - It really helped me to go through the data after I did a BFR/IPC, there were a couple of comments from my CFI that seemed wrong to me - I was able to go back and verify that one of them WAS wrong, and that I had simply misunderstood the other, and I was also able to see exactly what my mistake was on that one.

Plus, you can upload them to cirrusreports.com and see a map and graphs of the various parameters. Very cool.

Last edited:
What does it add?

SVT Pathways = Highways in the Sky if you have synthetic vision turned on. There are some other really cool features listed in Johns post.

This brings the data logging up to speed with the rest of the planet.

According to my Cessna guy, they were hesitant to release until some bugs were worked out with this release. This is great news.

Last edited:
If you have SVT or in warranty then you pay nothing. If you do not have SVT and out of warranty you will need the cockpit guide at $295 or online, and $149 for the SW and 3 hours labor for install, keep in mind this upgrade is for WAAS G1000 only other non WAAS will be out later.

Last edited:
If you have SVT or in warranty then you pay nothing. If you do not have SVT and out of warranty you will need the cockpit guide at $295 or online, and $149 for the SW and 3 hours labor for install, keep in mind this upgrade is for WAAS G1000 only other non WAAS will be out later.
This might be a dumb question but I'm a renter not an owner and I ask:

How can you tell if a G1000 is WAAS or not?? I thought they both give you "vertical guidance" but which is actually waas?

How can you tell if a G1000 is WAAS or not?? I thought they both give you "vertical guidance" but which is actually waas?

Only the WAAS will give you vertical guidance on non-ILS approaches.

And if you go to the aux pages for the GPS status, the WAAS version will give you SBAS and the other won't. There are doubtless other ways to tell by looking at the system information page...

Only the WAAS will give you vertical guidance on non-ILS approaches.

And if you go to the aux pages for the GPS status, the WAAS version will give you SBAS and the other won't. There are doubtless other ways to tell by looking at the system information page...
cool, thanks!

just look on the AUX 6 page and it will have on the left for the GIA if it is a GIAW then you have WAAS, also just look in the POH. If you rent then any 2007 and newer 182 206 are WAAS and any 2008 and newer 172 will be WAAS, the post above is also a way to check, even on other airframes.

I installed this update on a plane today with TCAS, only took 2 hrs labor. Failrly easy install.

Do these software updates have to be installed by an approved Garmin avionics shop?
Any A&P / IA?
Or an owner?

I understand charting updates can be completed by the owner / pilot?

Do these software updates have to be installed by an approved Garmin avionics shop?
Any A&P / IA?
Or an owner?

Any A&P can comply with SB's or AD's. This update was issued as a SB.

Last edited:
Any A&P / IA?
Or an owner?

Yes any FAA approved shop, AI or A&P can do it but it has to be ordered though a Cessna service center just like parts, but to get reinbursed it has to be done at a Cessna service center.
The new cockpit guide MUST be in the aircraft to sign off on the upgrade. The cockpit guide is $295 or print from the web.

Last edited:
Yes any FAA approved shop, AI or A&P can do it but it has to be ordered though a Cessna service center just like parts, but to get reinbursed it has to be done at a Cessna service center.
The new cockpit guide MUST be in the aircraft to sign off on the upgrade. The cockpit guide is $295 or print from the web.

The PDF of the guide is free, though, and it costs a LOT less to have the file printed and bound at your local copy shop than it does to buy it from Garmin, and it's perfectly legal.

Not sure if Garmin is printing their manuals on gold leaf or what, but it's utterly ridiculous to pay $295 for a paper ring-bound copy of a manual. :incazzato:

Link?

BTW, for you G1000 Cessna 172/182/206 drivers who are wanting to print the Cockpit Reference Guide yourselves rather than pay the $295 for it, here's the link to the PDF:

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/G1000:CessnaNavIIISystemSoftware0563.18_CockpitReferenceGuide.pdf

This is for software version 0563.18 for Cessna Nav III only - Other airplanes and software versions, go here and locate the correct documentation for the airplane you're flying and the software version it has installed. And the Cessna captains can find the full Pilot's Guide there, too - That one's not legally required in the plane, but does have a lot of things not present in the required Cockpit Reference Guide.

The PDF of the guide is free, though, and it costs a LOT less to have the file printed and bound at your local copy shop than it does to buy it from Garmin, and it's perfectly legal.

Not sure if Garmin is printing their manuals on gold leaf or what, but it's utterly ridiculous to pay $295 for a paper ring-bound copy of a manual. :incazzato:
Yes the price is high for the cockpit guide, I download and print out in color. The high cost is right for the guide, I know I have printed other books and to print in color and the type of paper it is printed on and done better than a Kinkos can do is about the right price for the few that are printed. I agree you can have printed or print yourself, but you will not have the quality that Garmin had done. I did take a copy of it to a high end printer and they said that that price is fair for the type printing that was done and that there were not thousands printed, I was having them printed for government training. The bottom line is Garmin does have it online so you can print yourself, no reason to have the high end printing like Garmin's. If you have SVT or you are in warranty the book is free from Garmin.

Last edited:
BTW, for you G1000 Cessna 172/182/206 drivers who are wanting to print the Cockpit Reference Guide yourselves rather than pay the $295 for it, here's the link to the PDF:

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/G1000:CessnaNavIIISystemSoftware0563.18_CockpitReferenceGuide.pdf

This is for software version 0563.18 for Cessna Nav III only - Other airplanes and software versions, go here and locate the correct documentation for the airplane you're flying and the software version it has installed. And the Cessna captains can find the full Pilot's Guide there, too - That one's not legally required in the plane, but does have a lot of things not present in the required Cockpit Reference Guide.
The SW version is 563.21 that goes into the 172 182 206.

Yes the price is high for the cockpit guide, I download and print out in color. The high cost is right for the guide, I know I have printed other books and to print in color and the type of paper it is printed on and done better than a Kinkos can do is about the right price for the few that are printed. I agree you can have printed or print yourself, but you will not have the quality that Garmin had done. I did take a copy of it to a high end printer and they said that that price is fair for the type printing that was done and that there were not thousands printed, I was having them printed for government training. The bottom line is Garmin does have it online so you can print yourself, no reason to have the high end printing like Garmin's. If you have SVT or you are in warranty the book is free from Garmin.

I dunno, a bunch of the Diamond folks got them done in a group buy from a printing place for around $50 apiece and they're supposedly better than Garmin's (I haven't seen them myself). We did ours on a convenient high-end color laser and put it in a 3-ring binder.

Yes I have printed many with my high end laser printer, but that is not how the Garmin guides are done. they are done on a offset printing press and on high end paper, if there were many books to print then the cost would come down but at the most there are only 500 of them needed each SW upgrade. do not forget Cessna marks them up also so it is still a fair price for what little guides have to be printed. By the way the guide is free from Cessna if you have SVT or in warranty. The toner for a Laser printer for 50 guides would be over $2500.
On top of all that it is copy right so having a copy shop do the printing would be a gray area.

Can I obtain a list of added features for the software upgrade (Cessna SB11-34-01) directly from Garmin or Cessna?

Can I obtain a list of added features for the software upgrade (Cessna SB11-34-01) directly from Garmin or Cessna?
You should have that list in the mail by now, if not, I can fax it to you, or see below.

Last edited:
I will list it here for you.
TAWS better algorithm
New XM. AIREP PIREP ICING TURBULENCE
Weather map north up or user selectable
Better TFR's
Flight plan sequencing
Better GFC700 roll steering
Dead reckoning mode with roll steering
Minimums reset after approach
Flight plan import and export
New look to engine gauges
Inset map to sync with MFD. Better
FPM Behind FD bars
New MFD status info bar to now show END endurance FOB fuel on board
PATHWAYS now active
DATA LOGGING TO TOP SLOT MFD
Enable to use Garmin TAS GTS800
Fix numerous SB's
Multiple waypoint instances
AOPA directory
New auto zoom
Support for video input
Approach loading cursor sequence
Display GS in DR mode
NEW PAGE NAVIGATION OF THE MFD pages.

At this time it is for WAAS aircraft, non WAAS will be at a latter date.

Last edited:
Back