New student

heilmanbw

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Brent
I just wanted to take the time to introduce myself. I am a new (sort of) student. I originally started taking lessons about 15 years ago but stopped when life happened to me. I am now back in the saddle again and having a blast. It is amazing how much you can miss something and not realize it. I have been reading through several of the threads here and have found a wealth of knowledge. I am looking forward to many, many more flights and interesting discussions here. It is nice to have a place to turn to when questions arise and a CFI isn't in front (or beside) me.

Welcome to PoA - booyah beat you to it Tracey and Ben! :)

I just wanted to take the time to introduce myself. I am a new (sort of) student. I originally started taking lessons about 15 years ago but stopped when life happened to me. I am now back in the saddle again and having a blast. It is amazing how much you can miss something and not realize it. I have been reading through several of the threads here and have found a wealth of knowledge. I am looking forward to many, many more flights and interesting discussions here. It is nice to have a place to turn to when questions arise and a CFI isn't in front (or beside) me.

Welcome, Brent. Just a word of caution: there are LOTS of great pilots on this website, but, when I was a student I would get confused by their answers to my student questions. In other words, if you have ten people answer your question about flying - you might get 10 different answers.

Have fun!

Thanks for the welcome. I understand the 10 different answers thing completely. I teach radar to Army students. That thing happens all the time with us.

Welcome Brent!!

Be sure to ask Kim about the magic formula to properly determine the amount of fuel left in a Cessna.

Brent:

Mike is talking about another post I made when I did my first long cross country as a private pilot and was worried about making it there with enough fuel.

As you stick around you will find out this site is like hanging out with a bunch of friends. The front porch of aviation.

I teach radar to Army students.
So you're at Sill? My condolences. :) I was down there when the ground surveillance and counterfire radar courses were still taught at I-See-O Hall. I'm sure it's all unrecognizable by now.

So you're at Sill? My condolences. :) I was down there when the ground surveillance and counterfire radar courses were still taught at I-See-O Hall. I'm sure it's all unrecognizable by now.

Nope I-See-O-Hall is still the same. I am civilian so I am here by choice. I was Navy. I actually work in Poolaw Hall. The only thing they have done around here is build new buildings over near the Sheridan Rd. gate.

Brent:

Mike is talking about another post I made when I did my first long cross country as a private pilot and was worried about making it there with enough fuel.

As you stick around you will find out this site is like hanging out with a bunch of friends. The front porch of aviation.

That's good to hear that it is like that. When I first started lessons years ago some of my best memories were just hanging out doing the "hangar-flying" thing.

So where is this thread at? Now my curiosity is peaked.

Nope I-See-O-Hall is still the same. I am civilian so I am here by choice. I was Navy. I actually work in Poolaw Hall. The only thing they have done around here is build new buildings over near the Sheridan Rd. gate.
I-See-O Hall used to be Counterfire Dept. We taught 17B (FA Target Acquisition, Sound/Flash), counterbattery and ground surveillance radar crew and repair, surveyors, some of the meteorology stuff, a couple of other courses I don't remember. We left there in '80, I think, or maybe '81. I knew a guy in Duncan, his kid was a computer whiz back in the original Apple ][ days.

Anyway, welcome, and it's good to know you're back in the saddle. I am just a few weeks ahead of you, if that -- had a couple of lessons in '99 and '02, and just started flying again in Feb. Does Ft. Sill still have a flying club?

I-See-O Hall used to be Counterfire Dept. We taught 17B (FA Target Acquisition, Sound/Flash), counterbattery and ground surveillance radar crew and repair, surveyors, some of the meteorology stuff, a couple of other courses I don't remember. We left there in '80, I think, or maybe '81. I knew a guy in Duncan, his kid was a computer whiz back in the original Apple ][ days.

Anyway, welcome, and it's good to know you're back in the saddle. I am just a few weeks ahead of you, if that -- had a couple of lessons in '99 and '02, and just started flying again in Feb. Does Ft. Sill still have a flying club?

The MET guys still train over there. Most of those classes are still there in some form or another. They do some CFF (Call for Fire) training there also. They have quite the set-up over there for some of that stuff.

There is no longer a flying club here. Aviation isn't near as prevalent around here as it used to be. When I first started in Duncan there was always people out at the airport flying, hanging-out, or something. Then on the weekends there were even more. Now, I may see one person in any given week. It's sad really, because I think back to those times when I started and then quit and wonder to myself did I miss out on everything around here?

I will have to check out the practical jokes thread. I had a good one pulled on me once. Come to think of it I never got him back for it either.

Okay when is Ben or Tracey going to show up and welcome Brent appropriately?

Welcome Brent..... Tracey just send Guido over the break my kneecaps so I have to say hi or I get a permanent limp...:yesnod::rofl:

Welcome Brent..... Tracey just send Guido over the break my kneecaps so I have to say hi or I get a permanent limp...:yesnod::rofl:

(this guy)
images

Then I don't think you have anything to worry about.

little and pretty - ME? Oh we haven't met yet. :)
We haven't met yet, so maybe I don't know if you're little, but I can tell by your avatar that yes, you are pretty. So, on that note: Just wait, I'll get you my pretty! :yesnod:

(this guy)
images

Then I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Oh that little guy? The one that looks like Chuckie? He might look innocent.... but he's snot. Anyone remember "Talking Tina"? Yes, be afraid... be very afraid. Especially YOU Ben. :yesnod: Just sayin'.

Oh, and Brent? Little heads up: did you notice how your innocent thread degenerated into a thread about breaking knees and talking dolls? That kinda stuff typically happens when Ben joins in a conversation. Strangest thing. :dunno:

Don't lie to him Tracey. Any "innocent" question can catapult (yes it is bad for cats) can go on for 3-4 pages. Re: question on forward slips was 3 pages last time I looked. (Question I believe was "What is a forward slip" or difference between the two types)

We just like to be able to get our post count up alot. Thanks Tracey for your comment earlier.

Don't lie to him Tracey. Any "innocent" question can catapult (yes it is bad for cats) can go on for 3-4 pages. Re: question on forward slips was 3 pages last time I looked.
I just wanted to give him a heads up about Ben, figured it was the "neighborly" thing to do... :rofl:

And yes, your "Forward Slip" thread definitely took on a life of its own (as most threads do-- which is probably what makes hanging around here so fun).

Thanks for the welcome. I understand the 10 different answers thing completely. I teach radar to Army students. That thing happens all the time with us.

You teach maintenance or operation?

I went through Nike Hercules Missile and Nuclear Warhead maintenance and repair training in the Army over 40 years ago. I then went through HAWK Fire Control Radar training.

The electronics and technical schools were run better than anything in the entire Army at the time.

BTW, welcome to the forum. You will find lots of help here when you need it. Most everyone goes through various challenges during their training. Whatever yours is, there is FOR SURE one of us that have been through it before and if nothing else can give you encouragement.

E-5 US Army 68-71

Last edited:
I teach maintenance. Of course sometimes I have to throw operation in there also. I wish I could say that it still is but that would be lying to you. The area teach is one of the last courses of instruction for the 94M MOS. I still get students at this point in the game that don't know how a relay works. I see it as failure on the Army's part of trying to make training go as quick as possible to get people out in the field.

I have noticed that some of these threads do take on a life of their own. I have read a couple trying to get up to speed on this board and noticed I will be on page 5 wondering what was the original topic. So far it has been quite entertaining reading some of them.

Brent,

We had 8 weeks of basic electronics and after that I was VERY well versed in electronics considering such a short period of time learning it. The Basic Electronics school at Fort Bliss was the best run thing I ever saw in the Army.

After the Army I went to college and studied electrical engineering. Due to my Army basic electronics I had a basic understanding that helped me quite alot to get my feet on the ground.

Back in 2006 we had a reunion at Fort Bliss with the 40 odd guys that I went through the school with. We went to the same bay in the same building where we were in 68. IIRC the guys in that bay said that their training was 94Mike, but it might have been something else Mike.

Thanks for your service.

Brent,

We had 8 weeks of basic electronics and after that I was VERY well versed in electronics considering such a short period of time learning it. The Basic Electronics school at Fort Bliss was the best run thing I ever saw in the Army.

After the Army I went to college and studied electrical engineering. Due to my Army basic electronics I had a basic understanding that helped me quite alot to get my feet on the ground.

Back in 2006 we had a reunion at Fort Bliss with the 40 odd guys that I went through the school with. We went to the same bay in the same building where we were in 68. IIRC the guys in that bay said that their training was 94Mike, but it might have been something else Mike.

Thanks for your service.

They are in the process of closing down the Basic Electronics course at Bliss and are moving here to Ft. Sill. They are also making computer based training, which in my opinion is the worst thing they can do. It was getting to the point that you couldn't fail out of Basic Electronics and they were rushing everyone through. They would get here to the 94M course and be behind the curve from the start.

Computer based training... pffft. When I was at Sill, we were just deploying computer based training RECORDS. There was a PDP-11/70 in one building (don't remember which one) with terminals around the different instructional departments. I-See-O Hall had a 9600pbs leased-line modem with a stat mux, we had a dozen or to ADM-3A terminals and I had a DEC printer behind my desk. 300 bps... thank God for keyboard buffers.

Of course we were just transitioning from flintlock to percussion then, too. :)

I had always been interested in computers, and that lit the fuse. My next stop was MOS 34K, IBM System/360 Repairer, taught by a civilian contractor in Atlanta. There were maybe 50 or 100 of us in the Army. That got me into computer maintenance and repair back when it was actually a viable and decent paying career. I've had to switch paths a couple of times since then, but still pushing bits around.

Yeah I used this computer trainer when I was in the Navy. I already had experience with electricity and electronics before so my learning wasn't as impaired as some people. This system takes you through everything on a computer screen with some side exercises to play with. If the person has no background in it then the student is really behind the 8-ball. All my interest in computers came when I was working on Wal-Marts for a local electrician. We had to do some networking for their cash registers and TVs. Since then it got me more and more interested in them.

Back