New Student Pilot

SMR05

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SMR
Hello All,

I am new to the board and just wanted to introduce myself. I am 24 years old and currently a student pilot with about 45 hours. I've been flying a C172 based out of KADS and should be soloing (again) today. I started flying back in June of '09 and got to solo x/c before running out of money. So, I started saving and should now have enough to get me through to my commercial! I'm very excited about flying again, and can't wait to scour the boards for any information that might help me in my quest to obtain my ratings.

-Scott

Excellent, Scott. Glad to hear you're all set for the big push. Welcome to the forums.
- Russ

Welcome to PoA Scott!!

There are several North Texas based folks here, and some that even habitat at KADS.

Do join us at DFWPilots.com for the local community!

Who are you doing your training with? (school and CFI)

Thanks! I'll be sure to check out DFWPilots.com

I'm currently renting from Lone Star Flyers and flying with Preston Bakic. The experience has been great thus far.

Welcome Scott! I'm a student pilot but WAY behind you in hours. I think I'm up to a whopping 7.4 thus far. :yikes:

Congrats and welcome! I'm a student pilot at about the same place you are. How close are you to your check ride?

Welcome Scott. This site has been a great resource for me as a student.

Welcome Scott! I'm a student pilot but WAY behind you in hours. I think I'm up to a whopping 7.4 thus far. :yikes:

I've got you beat, Hobo. 6.4 hours.

Hey Scott! This forum can probably answer just about any aviation question you have.

Some with greater debate than others ... E.g. Any question about proper traffic pattern flying:D

Welcome! You'll find lots of great information here and answers to any questions you might think of! Great people here..

Welcome aboard Scott! Great persistence in knowing when you shouldn't continue and continuing the challenge.

Welcome, Scott! Ask away here. You'll likely get multiple answers to any question. Some may actually be helpful, and one or two even right! Just kidding! We have some really sharp cookies here.

Welcome Scott! I am one of your DFW area pilots, well sort of. I hangar at Bonham just North East of the DFW Bravo.

Hope to meet you somewhere in the area.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Hello All,

I am new to the board and just wanted to introduce myself. I am 24 years old and currently a student pilot with about 45 hours. I've been flying a C172 based out of KADS and should be soloing (again) today. I started flying back in June of '09 and got to solo x/c before running out of money. So, I started saving and should now have enough to get me through to my commercial! I'm very excited about flying again, and can't wait to scour the boards for any information that might help me in my quest to obtain my ratings.

-Scott

Right on - great that you have a plan and goal to get "it" done. This place (and others like the AOPA forum) has lots of good stuff, to add on to what your CFI will teach.

The winds finally calmed down enough for me to solo today. Everything seems to be on track in my training, except my use of the trim. I'm having a difficult time determining when I'm trimmed or out of trim. I can't seem to get the "feeling" of being trimmed down. Any helpful suggestions are welcome!

Congrats pilot!

If you can't let go of the yoke and not have the aircraft change pitch, you're not trimmed.

The airplane can fly itself when in trim for long periods of time. The more accurate the trim, the longer it'll fly where you wanted it to go without any corrections.

Hands off, if the airplane doesn't change pitch, you're trimmed.

How you determine it is to "trim away pressure". If you're having to push to keep the nose down, trim nose down. If you're pulling, nose up.

When you feel the yoke sitting there and you aren't pushing or pulling, let go. Now make a small, fine adjustment to stop whatever small motion there is.

Any change in power, start the process over. It never ends.

My airplane has a small right bank tendency, but in trim in cruise, I can rest my heel of my left hand on top of the left yoke horn to counteract that rigging issue, and not have to push forward or back at all on the yoke for many minutes at a time in smooth air, once trimmed. Altimeter won't move.

Same thing last night on final, totally smooth out, 65 knots, 10" MP or so, 40 flaps, nice stable approach from 3 miles out straight-in where the Tower told me to report.

Aiming for the touchdown zone markers, they were neither climbing up the windscreen nor descending. Enough excess energy that if the engine quit, I'd make the end of the runway even with 40 flap hanging out. Power was just to make the touchdown zone paint.

Way high on the VASI to start because a Skylane set up that way will come down faster than 3 degrees. Trick os to make it stable. Trim!!!

Start high, the VASI will come in right when you get there in that ultra slow, stable configuration. All that's left to do is a small pre-flare at the threshold to slow to 55 and hold as you slowly close the throttle. Then flare. Don't do it early or you'll arrive very ungracefully.

With the STOL kit, you start to run out of elevator and touch down mains first at about 45 knots with nary a blip of the horn. Nose high, you hold it off and it really doesn't want to go flying anymore.

Technically still too fast but it's a lift generating beast with the stall fences singing and it's a wrestling match to get it to hold off until 35. You have to roll in full up trim over the numbers to make that look good, and not need ape arms.

Also a lot higher chance you'll bang the venerable 182 nosegear down hard trying to play that slow.

Thus, the landing story. You can start to feed in up trim in the flare if you can do it without looking, just beware that if you punch it for a go-around you're going to be pushing forward REAL hard to keep it level while trying to roll out the up trim and start retracting those 40 degrees worth of barn doors hanging out.

Sometimes you don't want to be perfectly trimmed. Leaving it trimmed for 65 knots and manually doing the effort for the flare and landing, is saner. ;)

Thanks for the info DenverPilot! I'll be working on my trimming tomorrow on a small x-c. Thanks for the advice!

Should be careful to mention, the speeds in my story are for my airplane. Fly yours. ;) Trim and let go, if it speeds up and noses down, more up trim. Vice-versa.

Trim is your friend.

You can also play with different target speeds in cruise and with and without flaps as long as you're below flap operating speed. Pull some power off and see if you can trim for 90 knots in cruise. Then 80.

Just don't get lost doing it. Heh. Navigation is number one at your stage of the game. But it can be fun to mentally recalculate a leg between two checkpoints and pretend a controller told you to fly 90 knits between them. Then "resume normal speed" at your next checkpoint.

Mental games. Muscle memory games. Long XCs if you're bored, try something. How does it fly at 90 knots in cruise with 10 degrees of flap hanging out? How does the sight picture over the nose change? (Don't forget and leave them down! Heh.)

Try this one in cruise... Hold the yoke solid fore and aft. Trim up. Which way does the yoke move? Are you having to fight to stay level? Trim the other way a little too far (don't get wild, a couple of 1/4 turns is plenty) too far, and hold altitude. Now which way is the yoke pushing?

Now trim until the yoke isn't fighting you. Let go. Tah Dah! Trimmed!

Thanks for the info DenverPilot! I'll be working on my trimming tomorrow on a small x-c. Thanks for the advice!

For your cross country, maybe you'll get a better feel for trimming. On your cross country flying you will have to work on holding a constant heading and a constant altitude. You will be all over the place with both of these at first, but learning to trim for constant altitude in straight and level flight is something you should start working on as soon as you climb out and level off.

You will move the trim adjustment a good bit at first, but then as you dial it in, you should get it to a point where you can momentarily release fore/aft pressure on the yoke and not see it either climb or descend.

The sooner you get the hang of keeping it trimmed, the better your flying will be. If you're having trouble flying straight & level, trim. If you're having trouble maintaining your approach speed, trim. If you're having trouble holding a constant climb out speed, trim. Later when you start doing steep turns and such, trim.

You won't always have it trimmed perfectly, especially for those things that you do only for a very short time such as during your approach. After a short while you will get an idea how many turns of trim to add when you cut power to bleed off speed to your approach speed. Once you know that it's four turns or whatever it is, you can put in those four turns and it will be close to being trimmed. It won't be precise, but it will take off enough pressure that it will make it much easier to maintain a steady approach speed.

Hope this helps and keep us posted.

Trimming makes landing (much) more graceful, but I've found it essential to, say, refold a sectional in flight. Which is always necessary if you're flying any distance. Precision is always aided by trimming; it's much easier to hold altitude and heading if the elevator and rudder are both in trim.

While I suppose fiddling with a sectional could be done one handed, it's a lot quicker and less distracting with two.

A trimmed aircraft will maintain altitude and airspeed for quite some time, hands off. It will, however, not maintain roll for nearly as long. You can control the roll with your feet alone, a good skill to have if you ever dip a wing in a stall. I hear it's a useful skill for instrument training as well.

And when trimming, if you have both electric and manual trim, I find that electric trim works well for the initial gross trim, and then manual allows you the finesse for getting it "exactly right."

Well, I went up again today and REALLY improved my trimming. I could still use a little more practice, but it is much improved over my previous flight. My CFI also told me to use the electric trim for the bigger adjustments, and the trim wheel for fine tuning my trim. Now, I just need to focus more on my radio work..

Thanks for the positive feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

Electric Trim? You mean there's no wheel to turn?:( That wheel is my security blanket.:D

Electric Trim? You mean there's no wheel to turn?:( That wheel is my security blanket.:D
Actually, there's often both a thumb-operated switch/switches on the yoke and a wheel to turn. So you don't lose your security blanket, you just gain an electric heater (or pacifier?) :goofy:

Well, I went up again today and REALLY improved my trimming. I could still use a little more practice, but it is much improved over my previous flight. My CFI also told me to use the electric trim for the bigger adjustments, and the trim wheel for fine tuning my trim. Now, I just need to focus more on my radio work..

Thanks for the positive feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

Good show! I had a CFI on another forum that kept responding to all my problems with the suggestion to trim. I'm pretty dense, but it finally worked it's way into my head. Stay trimmed and your flying precision will come along quickly.

You fancy people with electric trim... sheesh. ;)

I'm too much of a manual trim guy myself with the time in the Cherokees and Warrior I have. Even in the newer Cessnas I've rented recently with electric trim, I still prefer to use the trim wheel. Each his own I guess.

Back