new student pilot with some questions

Janel

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JIMK
I've just begun as a student pilot. I want to practice between lessons. I found on my second lesson that I spent most of my time re-doing the first lesson and that's no bueno. What's worked for you?

I also want my own headgear. But there are no shops nearby that I can go into to try on different models. When buying online, what are some key words / features I should be looking for?

Thanks!!

I did a lot of chair flying when I was a student. sat in a chair and went thru the motions. but a better way is in a simulator. does your school have one? best way is to fly more than once a week.

as for headgear...I'd advise buying something relatively inexpensively for three reasons. one, that's money that can go towards your lessons. two, and I'm being honest here, not every student completes the lessons and takes the oral and check ride. three, when you do pass the oral and check ride reward yourself with a better headset. your old one can then be used for a passenger.

good luck!

chair flying is great! I used the poster from Sporty's to practice with. It's free if you pay for shipping, check it out on their website. As far as headsets go I've only ever used Lightspeed, they are expensive but worth it. Sporty's has a 30 day money back guaranty on head sets as well.

I've just begun as a student pilot. I want to practice between lessons. I found on my second lesson that I spent most of my time re-doing the first lesson and that's no bueno. What's worked for you?

I also want my own headgear. But there are no shops nearby that I can go into to try on different models. When buying online, what are some key words / features I should be looking for?

Thanks!!

How often are you flying? If possible 2-3 times a week enables better progress as you recall and build on previous lessons. Students who fly once a week or less usually end up repeating part or all of the previous lesson. I always recommend at least 2 lessons a week.

Welcome!

I made notes AFTER each lesson in a notebook that I called my post-flight debrief. Just trying to write down what I learned helped reinforce it. Then just before the next lesson, look at it again.

Also, as little time between lessons as possible. I tried, but weather and work conspired against me. But what that did for me was make me realize what skills and knowledge stuck and what deteriorated with long lapses between lessons.

Headset: cheap. You'll have plenty of time to borrow and try others. I still use my cheapies. I had to stretch them outward to reduce the clamping force just so where it kept the sound attenuation but didn't squeeze my brains.

Thanks!!

Sometimes craigslist and/or eBay has good prices on headsets, mainly used ones. There's a fella on here that sells headsets occasionally.

Last edited:
How often are you flying? If possible 2-3 times a week enables better progress as you recall and build on previous lessons. Students who fly once a week or less usually end up repeating part or all of the previous lesson. I always recommend at least 2 lessons a week.
I flew once every two weeks b/c of financials. Got my PPL at 57 hours. Not bad IMO considering the spacing. Of course I don't recommend doing it this way either.

I flew once every two weeks b/c of financials. Got my PPL at 57 hours. Not bad IMO considering the spacing. Of course I don't recommend doing it this way either.

Yes that's not bad at all Matthew.

Thanks!!
I think that feeling of starting over is fairly typical especially at the first few lessons as everything is new. You'll start getting the rhythm of things after some repetition. Reviewing notes and getting your head prepped the night before/day of the lesson helped me. Don't just show up having not put any thought into what you're about to do.

I bought a cheapo headset. Like 455 Bravo said, if you go that route, be sure to adjust the metal band by bending it for optimal(less) squeeze. (this procedure should be in the documentation that comes with it).

I've been happy with my ASA headset. Cheap, sounds good, comfortable (get the cloth covers for the earcups), and has a lifetime warranty. If I get an ANR headset later, the ASA will still make a good second unit for a passenger.

I passed my checkride last November. One of the tools I used that helped me debrief after each flight was my gopro. I would record most lessons including the audio and review them after my flight. Sometimes as a student pilot you hear what the CFI is saying but might not fully comprehend what is being told to you as you are fairly task saturated as a new student. The video debriefs essentially allowed me to repeat the lesson several times over between each flight. I was only able to fly once a week, at most, so this helped a lot.

Last edited:
Thanks!!! Everyone on this site is super helpful.

Mount a GoPro behind you and record your lessons with audio. You would be amazed at the amount of info you don't retain when things get busy and you're learning something as complex as flying. Even reviewing the flight one time will make a huge amount of difference in the amount of material you retain and can apply the next time you fly. I've been doing this during instrument training and really wish I had done it a few years ago for my PP training too.

I third the GoPro, that has been extremely useful for me. Especially when doing landings! If you need any help connecting to audio let me know, its pretty easy though.

Chair flying X4 or 5... I only flew once a week on Saturdays at Sportys, so I did have the advantage of trying on different headsets. I hated the added weight and I seemed to always bump them so bought a Clarity Aloft headset and I will not look back. After buying my own plane I got 4 additional headsets with it... they are cheap, I wouldn't buy a cheap one sub $100; but again that is me.

I did record all my flights, but didn't spend the money on a GoPro, I just bought a dual camera dash cam and it did great. I got to see out of the plane and what I was doing and what the instructor was doing.

If I had to due it again, and I have just purchased this myself, Crazed Pilot sells a very nice camera with audio cable for $129. You just need a micro SD card and a good shock mount (it doesn't have image stability, but still great for the money). They also sell ANR headsets for $197. No I do not work for them, own them or even get a referral fee or anything. I just purchased a few things from them and they have shipped fast and have good stuff.

I agree with the camera idea. Wish I'd had one all along.
If you can, get one early. Review your lessons, then several hours in (especially solo) see if you can mount it to the bottom, wing, or tail of the plane to evaluate your landings.
I never got one, but sort of regret it now.

.............. I found on my second lesson that I spent most of my time re-doing the first lesson and that's no bueno........
You'll be 're-doing' a lot of the first lesson over and over again. Nobody's 'muscle memory' is good enough to just do each thing once and then move on to the next thing.

I didn't spring for a gopro (although I wish I had) but I tried a sony handheld recorder hooked into the comms and that worked well for thinking/listening back through the lessons. I also did a lot of walking in the parking lot chair flying the pattern. Good luck, stick with it.

Back