New STEC 30 suddenly doesn't track HDG or magenta line.

jimmyjack

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Nick
I had an STEC 30 + ALT installed last year. I have maybe 100 hours on it. It's worked spectacularly since day one.

Late last year, I had my dual G5's and Garmin 400W installed.

I have 10-20 hours on that hardware, including the AP. All was well. In GPSS mode, it'd track the magenta line rock solid. In HDG mode, it works accordingly.

Today, I found it unable to track GPSS or HDG. I was IMC, so after landing, I played with it on the ground. In ST (wing leveler mode), the servos do turn the yoke as commanded by the dial.

In HDG or LO or HI, nothing. In fact, a gentle turn to the left developed (again on the ground). Adjusting heading on the HSI did nothing.

Several power cycles of both AP-only and battery-master didn't fix it. Fiddling with all the knobs and switches didn't fix it.

Frustrated, I put the plane away. Let it sit for maybe 10-15 minutes. Powered everything back up and noticed everything working correctly. Only thing I couldn't test was GPSS being inside, but HDG mode worked as commanded by adjusting heading left and right over my actual heading and watching the yoke move (as has been done in prior ground tests).

Shop won't be open until Monday, but the STEC 30 has been around for, what, 30 years? Is this a known or common issue? Especially so new (past infant mortality, but certainly not mid-life).

A quick txt to my A&P IA and he advised me it's probably the add-on box that allows the STEC to talk to the G5. I wonder if, given the sheer number of boxes installed in the plane, if there is a desirable order to power them up in? Not that I did anything differently prior to taking off than any other time...

It was pretty wet today, but I was only IMC for a few minutes. It's been exceedingly wet the last several days, almost nonstop, but it's been in the hangar ever since.

Humidity? Lack of use (20 minute flight two days ago, but 21 days inactive before that)?

I am having problems as well with my G5 HSI. Mine never works correctly in the HDG mode. I will be taking it back to the shop.

My G5 HSI now functions correctly after configuring the C21 AP to operate as an HSI (vs DG). I do still have a G5 issue that it occasionally does not power on without holding the power button for 10 seconds.

Back