New server banter thread

jason

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Jason W (FlyNE)
Feel free to post random banter about the server migration here :D

This thread will NOT be monitored for issue reports.

Database Error will be missed.......

.....or will it?!?!?

Eh, sup with the new server? Or are u just effing with us?

Been up and down for me....both on my laptop and tapatalk

Eh, sup with the new server? Or are u just effing with us?

We're running on the new server. The site moved halfway across the continent with roughly 8 minutes of downtime. Which is, not-so-coincidentally, how long it takes to dump and restore the mysql database.

We're running on the new server. The site moved halfway across the continent with roughly 8 minutes of downtime. Which is, not-so-coincidentally, how long it takes to dump and restore the mysql database.

Remarkable.

Well done!

Knew it was happening, didn't even notice it.

I had a few "not connected to the server" responses about 15 minutes ago. Must have been during the migration?

I had a few "not connected to the server" responses about 15 minutes ago. Must have been during the migration?

Yeah, we took the whole thing down for about 8 minutes to make sure that we didn't miss anything.

I assume it's now a smaller server with the decrease in traffic since Sierra Zulu closed 1/1/16 :)

My last server migration was a 8 month project done in 3 phases, you guys had it easy !!

Wasn't quite worth setting up MySQL replication, eh? LOL! :)

Wasn't quite worth setting up MySQL replication, eh? LOL! :)

I did. But I had the replication going to a secondary database. Throughout testing I had to reset the database and files several times. Since you can't write to a replicated database, I ended up just dumping from the replicated db and restoring that to test with (which saved a ton of time compressing/transferring between servers). Since I had all of the scripts written for that workflow it was worth the 8 minutes of downtime not to have to reinvent the wheel.

Last edited:
I assume it's now a smaller server with the decrease in traffic since Sierra Zulu closed 1/1/16 :)

My last server migration was a 8 month project done in 3 phases, you guys had it easy !!

Been there. Done that. Have the PTSD to prove it. :D

I did. But I had the replication going to a secondary database. Throughout testing I had to reset the database and files several times. Since you can't write to a replicated database, I ended up just dumping from the replicated db and restoring that to test with. Since I had all of the scripts written for that workflow it was worth the 8 minutes of downtime not to have to reinvent the wheel.

I won't bore you with details but look up something called "dbMail" sometime and then think about me inheriting it at a former employer... running 3000 users on a MySQL database for email.

And their idea for backing it up was MySQL replication. With a database chock full of binary BLOBs. (Email attachments.)

Last I heard, they still hadn't figured out how to migrate off of it. 4000 users or so now.

Courier and Maildir was apparently too simple for them. Let's store unstructured data in an RDBMS! Wheeeee.

Actually backing it up with a true DB dump... Only... Took... Three... Days... Once... When it needed new hardware. On 10G Ethernet. Hahahahaha. (Did I mention their retention policy was "forever"?)

(Greg Kainz will be along shortly to offer a facepalm...) :)

:facepalm:

or make that a double ... :D

latest

The biggest face palm-worthy exercise I can recall participating in was a roll-in of Oracle Mail years ago, replacing 2 different mail systems that I can't even recall now (this was pre-Y2k ... well before).

One enterprising young DOE tech (no, was NOT me) put in place a test scenario to prove out the store and forward feature, ensuring that no emails would be lost in the transition off the old systems. However, in the very first test to a small list, he somehow activated an AUTO REPLY ALL to the whole enterprise, which ended up in an endless loop between all 3 systems and blew them all up. :D

:double facepalm:

I wish my databases were small enough to dump and restore that fast :-(

The biggest face palm-worthy exercise I can recall participating in was a roll-in of Oracle Mail years ago, replacing 2 different mail systems that I can't even recall now (this was pre-Y2k ... well before).

One enterprising young DOE tech (no, was NOT me) put in place a test scenario to prove out the store and forward feature, ensuring that no emails would be lost in the transition off the old systems. However, in the very first test to a small list, he somehow activated an AUTO REPLY ALL to the whole enterprise, which ended up in an endless loop between all 3 systems and blew them all up. :D

:double facepalm:

Back in the day before I escaped from my IT slave masters, I was a Pro-IV programmer. I think the only program that actually uses Pro-IV is an enterprise system called Chess by Glovia. They had a neat upgrade where they changed their database from whatever they were using to Oracle. Problem was, they didn't bother to include any Oracle code. Our company was too cheap to let us have a full sized testing server, so we never got a chance to test it on a full scale basis. When the folks came in bright and early Monday morning, the system slowed to a crawl. It took weeks to fix all the coding issues. In the meantime, business was done mostly with pen and paper until things improved a bit.

I wish my databases were small enough to dump that fast :-(

I'm sitting on the toilet now, it'll likely take me longer than 8 minutes also. Though I must admit, I didn't know It was referred to as "databases" these days.

Actually, "databasins".

I'm sitting on the toilet now, it'll likely take me longer than 8 minutes also. Though I must admit, I didn't know It was referred to as "databases" these days.

I wish my databases were small enough to dump and restore that fast :-(

If they are MySQL databases...check out mydumper. It took our production database backups at work from three hours to 20 minutes. And restores from 27 hours to five hours.

If they are MySQL databases...check out mydumper. It took our production database backups at work from three hours to 20 minutes. And restores from 27 hours to five hours.

We don't pay you enough. Thank you for all the volunteer work you do to keep PoA running.

"all your (data) base are belong to me"

cue the music, Also Sprach Zarathustra

Most fun I had while in music was bailing from the clarinet section back to the percussion group. Since I could read music, I played chimes, bells, and the tympani. Tymp on ASZ and Stars & Stripes Forever is a blast!

Last edited:
Back