New RV 12 in the air

yakdriver

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
yellow peril
I had the honor of doing the first flight of a friend's RV12 today. All went well and it performed great. Just needed a little right rudder trim and prop pitch adjustment. This was the first RV 12 I have flown (I like it) and 11th first flight on a homebuilt I've done. Don

I'm anxious to fly one. How does it compare to other RVs?

Very light on the stick, lighter than the other RV models. Visibility is great, you can almost look straight down. It is really a joy to fly.

Last edited:
I would say it's lighter on the controls than a 7 or 8 with about the same roll rate. Very solid however and it goes where you point it. Full flap stall was right at book speed of 41kts and I saw 108kts indicated at one point. I only flew it about 1/2 hour as it was getting dark but I'll get more time on it in the next couple of days. Don

I had the honor of doing the first flight of a friend's RV12 today. All went well and it performed great. Just needed a little right rudder trim and prop pitch adjustment. This was the first RV 12 I have flown (I like it) and 11th first flight on a homebuilt I've done. Don

Good for you, Don, for helping others and good for the owner, congrats to him.

We have a local group of RV-ers who fly together to perform aerobatics at local fly-ins and airshows. Their name is "Chilie Flight". One of them is a -12 in colors of early departed Piper SportCruiser, and the only nosewheel airplane in the group. She seems keeping up fine, although possibly not flying on the power of a 100-hp Rotax.

KOOL !!!!!!!...

I remember just a few years back I got ridiculed by EVERY RV owner / builder about the Zenith Pulled rivets.....

Payback is hell...:yes:....:D.....;)

I'm doing a Zenith 750 for a friend right now. Should be ready to fly it soon. Pulling rivets is sure a lot easier than bucking them. One thing nice about the RV 12 is all the holes are punched to size. Just cleco it together and start pulling rivets. No drilling and best of all no deburring.

If The RV-12 doesn't clecko together you have done some thing wrong. Seriously, the kit is that good. No need for jigs & strings. Exceptional quality control. They really are fun to build.

http://geicodevelopment.com/i/u/2048250/i/RV-12_Vans__Medium___2_.jpg

Mine was the second customer built -12 to fly. "Missed it by that much" I have known for a long time it is an exceptional flying LSA airplane.

Last edited:
I is really easy to grease it on and you can hold the nosewheel in the air until it almost stops. I have 5 landings so far and every one was almost perfect. Don

Back