New Runway Crossing Procedures

t0r0nad0

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
PJ Gustafson
Just got this in my email this morning. I think a lot of places already did this, but tomorrow it will be official.

New Runway Crossing Procedure
Notice Number: NOTC2374

Runway Crossing Procedure Change

Beginning June 30, 2010 , controllers will be required to issue explicit instructions to cross or hold short of each runway that intersects a taxi route.

"Taxi to" will no longer be used when issuing taxi instructions to an assigned take-off runway.

Instructions to cross a runway will be issued one at a time. Instructions to cross multiple runways will not be issued. An aircraft or vehicle must have crossed the previous runway before another runway crossing is issued.

This applies to any runway, including inactive or closed runways.

Changes will also be made to the Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM) and AIP to reflect the new procedures.

Never cross a hold line without explicit ATC instructions.
If in doubt ASK!

Reminder: You may not enter a runway unless you have been:

instructed to cross that specific runway;
cleared to take off from that runway; or
instructed to position and hold on that specific runway.
See**https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices/2010/Jun/Runway_Crossing_Procedural_Change_FAAST_Blast.pdf for the Runway Safety notice. Click this next*link for a video of the change. http://www.faa.gov/airports/runway_...vents/taxi_to/media/TaxiTo_V3_3wPreloader.swf (You may have to copy and paste the links into your browser.)

For additional information, go to http://www.faa.gov/go/runwaysafety

Federal*Aviation*Administration
Air Traffic Organization
Office of Runway Safety
490 L'Enfant Plaza, SW, Suite 7225
Washington, DC* 20024

This notice is being sent to you because you selected "General Information" in your preferences on FAASafety.gov. If you wish to adjust your selections, log into https://www.faasafety.gov/Users/pub/preferences.aspx where you can update your preferences.

The new WINGS–Pilot Proficiency Program is great! Check it out now!

FAASafety.gov | Email Preferences | Opt Out* *
Do not reply to this email as it is an unmonitored mailbox. Contact us for comments or questions.* *

Dumb raised to the dumbth power. Thank you to the idiots that couldn't understand taxi instructions. What's next? ATC clearing us fix by fix through an IAP?

Nope, but ground control will be handling your sorry a$$ to the fuel point.
...unless that point is outside the movement area. And if it isn't, it's no different than now. The only real changes are for the controllers not the pilots. All we have to do is listen up and do as they say. The only change for us pilots is we get a better chance to catch a mistake by either pilot or controller. View my briefing and see how that works.

Dumb raised to the dumbth power. Thank you to the idiots that couldn't understand taxi instructions.
It's not only pilots misunderstanding instructions, it's also controllers giving bad instructions. The new rules make it easier for pilots to catch either mistake before something bad happens.

...unless that point is outside the movement area. And if it isn't, it's no different than now. The only real changes are for the controllers not the pilots. All we have to do is listen up and do as they say. The only change for us pilots is we get a better chance to catch a mistake by either pilot or controller. View my briefing and see how that works.

On the large airports I've flown with Ground Control freq, the fuel comes to you in big Shiny $6 a gallon trucks.

And the vast majority of other airports, there is no GC freq -- but trends indicate ....?

I like the change. At big B & C airports with multiple runways it always gave me the willies blowing over the hold short line without specific runway crossing clearance especially when you see the landing lights of a 757 on final glowing in the sky.

I'm not a huge fan of excessive government rules and laws, but I can see this being a helpful change. If you didn't hear the words "cross runway XX" you don't cross (just like the magic words for entering Bravo airspace). I believe it gives an extra level of safety if the controller goofs up. And they do make mistakes...

Just a few days after the rule went into effect, I was in closed traffic for 32R. At midfield downwind I was cleared to land on 14R. Winds were light so I suspected it was an error, not a change in runway. "Tower, confirm I am cleared to land on ONE FOUR RIGHT?" The tower guy fessed up his goof and cleared me to land on 32R.

So, yes, it's up to both pilots and controllers to catch errors and keep airplanes from touching each other.

Together, We Can Make A Difference™.

Taxiing from the hangar to rwy 35 at OLM yesterday the old clearance would have been "taxi to rwy 35 via echo, foxtrot". The new clearance was something like "taxi to rwy 35 via echo, foxtrot, cross rwy 26". Or something like that. The explicit "cross rwy 26" was new. No biggie. Of course, paying attention to this board and other sources allowed this to happen with no surprise at my end.

Taxiing from the hangar to rwy 35 at OLM yesterday the old clearance would have been "taxi to rwy 35 via echo, foxtrot". The new clearance was something like "taxi to rwy 35 via echo, foxtrot, cross rwy 26". Or something like that. The explicit "cross rwy 26" was new. No biggie. Of course, paying attention to this board and other sources allowed this to happen with no surprise at my end.

If that's what was issued it was wrong. The "taxi to" phraseology is not to be used. The new procedure is to state the departure runway, followed by the specific taxi route and a clearance to cross the runway.

"Runway Three Five, taxi via Echo, Foxtrot, cross Runway Two Six."

It's a little annoying but I understand the point. It's helpfull with students and unfamiliar airports.

If that's what was issued it was wrong. The "taxi to" phraseology is not to be used. The new procedure is to state the departure runway, followed by the specific taxi route and a clearance to cross the runway.

"Runway Three Five, taxi via Echo, Foxtrot, cross Runway Two Six."

"Something like". Could easily have been what you quoted. Suffice to say that it wasn't something that had me tapping the brakes thinking to myself, "What did he say?" Of course, I only have one runway to cross, so as long as I was cleared to cross it, life is good. Doesn't mean I didn't look both ways as I approached it, either. Trust, but verify.

To be sure I heard it right and have proof, I want my clearances in writing. How about sending the taxi instructions to my MFD? :D

Just Kidding!

Ground instructions are one thing I need a lot more practice. Anyone ask a ground controller for practice?

To be sure I heard it right and have proof, I want my clearances in writing. How about sending the taxi instructions to my MFD? :D

Just Kidding!

Ground instructions are one thing I need a lot more practice. Anyone ask a ground controller for practice?

With today's technology it would be pretty simple to receive taxi instructions digitally and have the route depicted by a MLOD complete with big red 'X's at runway crossings you aren't cleared for. For a few extra bux you could get an audible accessory added to announce: "Approaching hold short point" when you get close and "WARNING!, STOP IMMEDIATELY" if the GPS detects you're about to incurse.

For a few extra bux you could get an audible accessory added to announce: "Approaching hold short point" when you get close

We have a few airplanes with that exact feature on them. Except it says "Approaching Runway XX"

Yesterday I arrived back at my home airport. We have two taxiways paralleling the main runway, one for the air-carriers, the other for little folks and military. As the little folks taxiway is closed for some work, I had to take the other one which required the crossing of 4 runways to get to the GA ramp. The place was empty at the time, still I received 4 separate hold-short instructions with 4 separate crossing instructions :hairraise:

With today's technology it would be pretty simple to receive taxi instructions digitally and have the route depicted by a MLOD complete with big red 'X's at runway crossings

How about linking the ASDE-X with these?

Attachments

• ist2_4801281-pop-up-severe-tire-damage-spikes.jpg
    ist2_4801281-pop-up-severe-tire-damage-spikes.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 6

Just Kidding!

http://www.vatsim.net

Much cheaper than burning avgas and no worries if you mess up.

How about linking the ASDE-X with these?

Ah, why not go whole hog:

phalanx.jpg

Back