New Router?

Skip Miller

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skip Miller
I believe I need a new router. My existing Netgear (maybe 8 years old?) is dropping connections to my devices like 3x/week. Powering all down and rebooting solves this for a few days.

I any case I will appreciate some advice as to what router to get. Thanks to all!

-Skip

Did you get a firmware update?

Computer hardware doesn't "wear out". Things will break and it becomes inoperable, but the hardware has the same capability on day 1 as it does on day 1000.

Computer hardware doesn't "wear out". Things will break and it becomes inoperable, but the hardware has the same capability on day 1 as it does on day 1000.

no, but the environment in which it is supposed to work can and does change. I am dealing with relative ignorance on this issue and I am looking for suggestions.

Oh, and the firmware is up to date. -Skip

Well, just from a frequency perspective, it might be worthwhile to upgrade routers. Typically Netgear has been a pretty reliable brand, but I went Apple with their AirPort Extreme and have not had any issues.

Netgear nighthawk with DDWRT

If you know how, try changing the channel that the router is using. There may be congestion on that channel in your area. Just a thought.

Are these wireless connections that are being dropped? What model of router do you have today?

A general checklist
1) How many bars of service are you getting on your wireless devices? Does it get better when you move closer to the router? Or get better when you move around a wall or obstacle?
2) Was another wireless device recently set up nearby? You might not know this. Wireless runs on 11 channels. If someone started up a new wifi device near you on the same channel, you could be fighting over the spectrum. If your router has an Auto setting, use that. Otherwise, use trial and error and see if you get better results on a certain channel. You might actually have the best luck with channels 1 and 11. Many routers use a +/-2 channels plan, so many people tend to avoid the edges.
3) You can have problems with protocol types, but I don't think that's you...if it were, you wouldn't ever be connecting. However, if you know which version of the protocol your devices use (802.11 A/B/G/N/etc) see if it helps to restrict your router to just the single protocol. Doing this could get rid of excess traffic on protocols that your router is evaluating to see if it needs to come to you.
4) Monitor your router to see how many connections you have on it. It should go without saying, but make sure you're using a password and if you can, WPA2 security. I have my router tag a name onto all my regular devices so I can see at a glance if something new connects.

Dropped wireless connections could be due to excessive CPU usage on the router. One strategy to mitigate this is to narrow your own bands down and therefore to narrow the amount of traffic that your router is seeing; reduce the "noise" in the room. Less traffic = lower CPU usage = more connection reliability for you.

Best I can do generically.

If you know how, try changing the channel that the router is using. There may be congestion on that channel in your area. Just a thought.

Excellent idea! I'll report back in a week or so...

-Skip

If you decide to replace the router, Sam's Club has the Linksys WRT3200ACM on sale for $229.88 as a package that includes a USB WiFi adapter. My personal opinion is that that router is one of the best consumer-grade / SoHo-grade routers available right now. It also can be flashed to run most aftermarket router firmware, if one is so inclined.

Rich

Well... Not really, in my experience. Wireless router hardware does fail, especially the radios themselves. Some of them are pretty delicate and prone to damage from stray RF. I used to be able to count on a full schedule the day after electrical storms, for example. I used to store spares (along with other especially-sensitive / expensive hardware) in a makeshift Faraday cage for that reason.

They also drift out of calibration as semiconductors age; and they can fail due to heat if they're stacked or otherwise deprived of ventilation, especially if they're heavily used for tasks like video streaming.

Usually, however, they obsolesce before the hardware fails.

Rich

Back