New Roku Interface. Grrrr.

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
About a week ago, Roku force-updated a new interface to their devices. I noticed it immediately and mildly disliked it because it looks a lot like the Windows 8 Metro interface, and I'm frankly tired of every device in my life thinking it needs to look like a phone. But hey, it's only a Roku box, not something I have to work on ever day, so no big deal.

Until last night, anyway.

For the last couple of months, I've only been watching two things: Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. Why? My daughter wanted me to. We've had some nice discussions about the plot lines, "story arcs" (whatever those are), alleged deeper meanings, and so forth.

A couple of days ago, however, I watched the last episode of Angel; so last night, I decided to browse Netflix for other stuff to watch. I found that using the new interface, some of the genres and sub-genres were missing, and even when they were there, the browsing was limited to the first 50 titles in that category.

Now, Netflix has tens of thousands of titles, and hundreds in some individual genres and sub-genres; and it doesn't make sense that users can only browse the first 50 titles in a genre. So I farted around in the Preferences dialogue looking for some way to change this, and finding none, I called Roku support.

My call was cheerfully answered by "Rusty" from Bangalore, who put me on hold a few times to "investigate" before finally telling me that the limitation was designed into the software update because of "hardware limitations" and couldn't be worked around.

It didn't sound like Rusty really understood what that meant, so I didn't ask him to explain it in more detail. But apparently, some hardware limitation in the device -- CPU power, memory, or whatever -- meant that running the new interface required a trade-off in the number of titles that could be displayed, and they made that trade-off.

Or in other words, in order to make the interface look like a phone, it was necessary to lose the ability to browse most of their biggest content provider's catalog. That's pretty stupid, in my opinion. Just to make something look different, they severely limited the device's functionality at the only thing it is designed to do. How does that make any sense?

But hey, what do I know.

I told Rusty to close my account and deactivate the device. I really don't need a device that is crippled from doing the one thing that it is designed to do, and it's taking up a space in my accounts with content providers.

Rusty sounded generally shocked and hurt.

"But, Mr. Richard, it is true that every user of device such as you have did get the new software by automation updated," Rusty said.

"Yes, I understand that, Rusty. Please deactivate the device and close my account," I said.

"But, Mr. Richard, it is being said by many users of the Roku boxes that the new interface is indeed very attractive," Rusty said.

"Yes, so was my ex-wife," I replied, "and I got rid of her, too. Please deactivate the device and close my account, nonetheless."

"Your ex-wife has also a Roku device on your account?" asked Rusty.

Sigh...

Long story short, after realizing that Rusty was not going to close my account, I deactivated the box and closed the account myself on the Web site. The Roku box was just a second-room convenience anyway, since I fell out of love with Hulu Plus because of the incessant advertising. I also have a DVD player that can play streamed content, and the entire Netflix catalog is browsable on the DVD player.

The things about this that annoy and baffle me are why would Roku do such a stupid thing in the first place. Did they think that following Microsoft's lead by making their interface look like a phone would attract enough "oohs" and "aaahs" that user would overlook the fact that they can't browse the bulk of the Netflix catalog anymore?

I mean, Netflix is a big part of the reason why Roku exists, and I believe it's still their most popular content provider. Isn't it a little stupid to code a 50-title browsing limitation into the interface to their biggest provider's library, just to make the interface look like a phone screen?

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe some users are so stupid that they would rather give up their access to the bulk of the programming just to have the interface to what's left look like a phone. Nothing would surprise me anymore.

I have no idea whether this 50-title limitation and the absence of some of the Netflix genres and sub-genres are problems in Roku 3 boxes, in which the new interface is native. Mine is a Roku HD, to which the update was backported and forced.

But I'm not going to shell out a hundred bucks to find out.

-Rich

Last edited:
They needed to make the interface simple for the likes of people that just watch shows like Buffy & Angel. You know the average idiot :D

Sorry I could not resist.

"Yes, so was my ex-wife," I replied, "and I got rid of her, too.

I love that quote

Well, I hated browsing through all the channel tiles from left to right ,so that part of it I like. However, I did not realize that they crippled the apps with the new update. That sucks.

It took too long to get to AOPA Live and Revision3 channels before. Now they are easy to get to.

Well, I hope they can fix the issue someday. At least email Roku support maybe.

David

Well, I hated browsing through all the channel tiles from left to right ,so that part of it I like. However, I did not realize that they crippled the apps with the new update. That sucks.

It took too long to get to AOPA Live and Revision3 channels before. Now they are easy to get to.

Well, I hope they can fix the issue someday. At least email Roku support maybe.

David

Yep, I did. And yes, I agree that the old interface sucked long and loud. But we were able to browse all the titles in the catalog. That's too big a trade-off, in my opinion.

Personally, I'd rather they just use (or offer as a preference) a simple text listing with a description in the browse mode, to speed up the rendering and fit as many titles as possible on the screen. Then they could put the case art behind the click.

-Rich

I ordered a Roku to use as a front end for a project I was cooking up to go into our newly remodeled bathroom. Xbmc would do most of what I wanted, but it sounded like the Roku would do it all too, or 99% of it, and had a supposedly simple scripting language and all that. What I found out was that the interface does indeed suck, the scripting language seems to be something Java-like (which I'm not willing to invest a few months of my life to learn), and there's a reason all the free content is free. I was not looking for another way to spend money on subscriptions to crap I don't need, so it's going back under the 60 day return policy.

I tried using it as a front end for both Plex and MythTV, with varying degrees of success. Plex was OK, more or less. The MythTV front end never did work. Both required far more Roku menu navigation than I was willing to subject my wife to. The hardware is kind of cool, but it sucks just a little too much to put up with.

So. looks like we'll have a little Eeebox running Xbmc, talking to a MythTV backend for live and recorded T Vfrom the HDHomerun tuner. I can't fathom why Xbmc doesn't just o the PVR thing itself, but whatever. I may just chuck the whole idea and plug the coax into a TV instead. All I wanted was local TV news (or whatever she wanted to see) in a window, with a weather display on one side and streaming tickers across the bottom. If someone was relaxing in the tub, full screen TV or movie playing. Nothing too fancy, but the only solutions I'm finding seem to require at least two dedicated computers, plus the tuner. Jeez.

Rich,

FWIW, your kids will continue to come up with crap like that from time to time.

Just tell them that your attention span has shortened to the point that you are incapable of watching those goofy-ass shows and that you can't remember them long enough to discuss them even if you wanted to--which you don't.

Rich,

FWIW, your kids will continue to come up with crap like that from time to time.

Just tell them that your attention span has shortened to the point that you are incapable of watching those goofy-ass shows and that you can't remember them long enough to discuss them even if you wanted to--which you don't.

Eh. It wasn't that bad, actually. Certainly they weren't the worst shows I ever watched, and at least they gave us something to talk about that wasn't likely to provoke an argument.

-Rich

Xbmc. That is all.

Plex. Which is XMBC with commercial backing. It even has an Android remote control app.

I like the new Roku UI, but I'm not on NetFlix. Plex on the Roku works great. One feature that I never realized worked is the "On Deck." It'll automagically queue up the next episode of a series you're watching.

Rich, the new Roku 3 is going for less than $90 and has a more powerful CPU. It's supposed to be snappier. Maybe they don't put that limitation on the new hardware,

You guys just made me even happier about my AppleTVs. Sat down, ordered a couple of Season Passes of stuff we watch every year, started watching a minute later.

No hours of time messing with XBMC or Myth, just got it done. Last night was the most TV I've watched all week.

Three hours (10PM-1AM) two of which was a couple episodes of said Season Pass from iTunes Store, and one was a documentary on Netflix after Karen went to bed.

AppleTVs Netflix interface isn't too bad.

What's bad is Netflix losing so many of their licensing rights. Seems like any older movie I search for these days, is no longer in their catalog or never was. Getting real close to dropping them.

Plex. Which is XMBC with commercial backing. It even has an Android remote control app.

I like the new Roku UI, but I'm not on NetFlix. Plex on the Roku works great. One feature that I never realized worked is the "On Deck." It'll automagically queue up the next episode of a series you're watching.

Rich, the new Roku 3 is going for less than $90 and has a more powerful CPU. It's supposed to be snappier. Maybe they don't put that limitation on the new hardware,

I might try the Roku 3 if they (or the store) offer an easy cash refund, or else I'll try to find out from someone who has one whether it's similarly limited. The only advantage it would have over my present solution would bes that I'm thinking about adding Amazon, which my Blu-Ray player doesn't support.

I tried Hulu Plus for a while for current episodes of programs, but the ads will drive you crazy after a while. It's not just the frequency, but the fact that they showed me the same ads over and over and over again. I canceled after the first month. It was making me bonkers. I'd rather pay Amazon a buck and a quarter per episode and not have to deal with the ads.

-Rich

You guys just made me even happier about my AppleTVs. Sat down, ordered a couple of Season Passes of stuff we watch every year, started watching a minute later.

No hours of time messing with XBMC or Myth, just got it done. Last night was the most TV I've watched all week.

Three hours (10PM-1AM) two of which was a couple episodes of said Season Pass from iTunes Store, and one was a documentary on Netflix after Karen went to bed.

What's bad is Netflix losing so many of their licensing rights. Seems like any older movie I search for these days, is no longer in their catalog or never was. Getting real close to dropping them.

This weekend we took our new vehicle on a road trip. I used the built in HDMI and AC power to plug in the Apple TV, hotspotted my phone and VIOLA! Streaming video!

AppleTV w/ XBMC = pure happiness under one roof.

If I didn't make it clear, you can run the Plex "channel" client on Roku, too.

I've had some trouble with the Roku playing some .mp4 videos even over USB. It makes my Onykyo AVR screw up the HDCP crap so I get a pink/purple screen until I power cycle. This happens with two HDTVs. I haven't as yet figured out what format causes the problem.

So watched my TV show on a Mac Mini I set up as a media client with Plex, and the usual stuff. I just tried the Plex Remote App on Android. It works! I can control the Mac Plex client with my HP Touchpad tablet and Samsung phone.

Note that Plex has the Plex server which will send off to a web version of the Plex client. You can download a dedicated Plex Client app for all platforms - Android, iPhone, and Windows.
http://www.plexapp.com/

They hide the clients. Here: http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Downloads

I also have an Android on stick connected to the TV. I can use Plex on that as well. Both play more content than the Roku, but I like the Roku UI.

Yeah. On my TV I have UVerse, TiVo(s), Roku, Android, and a dedicated Mac Mini. The media server is this Hackintosh for now but I have a Mac Mini server for the purpose.

Last edited:
If I didn't make it clear, you can run the Plex "channel" client on Roku, too.

I've had some trouble with the Roku playing some .mp4 videos even over USB. It makes my Onykyo AVR screw up the HDCP crap so I get a pink/purple screen until I power cycle. This happens with two HDTVs. I haven't as yet figured out what format causes the problem.

So watched my TV show on a Mac Mini I set up as a media client with Plex, and the usual stuff. I just tried the Plex Remote App on Android. It works! I can control the Mac Plex client with my HP Touchpad tablet and Samsung phone.

Note that Plex has the Plex server which will send off to a web version of the Plex client. You can download a dedicated Plex Client app for all platforms - Android, iPhone, and Windows.
http://www.plexapp.com/

They hide the clients. Here: http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Downloads

I also have an Android on stick connected to the TV. I can use Plex on that as well. Both play more content than the Roku, but I like the Roku UI.

Yeah. On my TV I have UVerse, TiVo(s), Roku, Android, and a dedicated Mac Mini. The media server is this Hackintosh for now but I have a Mac Mini server for the purpose.

Wow...

Mike, I think you have to understand: I haven't even owned a TV in about 10 years. I still don't, technically. I use a spare wide-screen monitor with an HDMI input, and a set of computer speakers with a subwoofer.

I mainly watch stuff on Netflix, maybe two or three hours a week, or a bit more during the winter. Before there was Netflix, I mainly watched nothing except the occasional rented VHS or DVD. I'm just not much of a TV person, I guess.

Still, during the month that I had Hulu Plus, I did come one or two current shows that I thought might be worth watching -- were it not for the mind-numbing commercials. The shows certainly wouldn't be worth taking out cable TV service at ~ $89.00 / month, but they might be worth a buck and a quarter per episode on Amazon.

-Rich

I might try the Roku 3 if they (or the store) offer an easy cash refund
Will let you know. I'll be calling tomorrow for my RMA to return mine. Their return policy says 60 days, everything but the shipping.

Will let you know. I'll be calling tomorrow for my RMA to return mine. Their return policy says 60 days, everything but the shipping.

May I ask what was the cause for your dissatisfaction with the Roku 3?

-Rich

I put OpenElec/XBMC on a Raspberry Pi last night. From the time that I started downloading the OS image until the time that I was streaming FoodNetwork episodes and controlling it all with the Yahtse Remote Control app on my Android phone was probably about an hour.

The Raspberry Pi is for a project for work, so it wasn't a permanent install but I'll probably be ordering a couple of them for home use soon - especially if I can stumble onto a decent server to set up as a PVR (see below) and file streaming for the stacks of DVDs we have laying around.

XBMC v12 (Frodo) has PVR capabilities, although it needs a separate 3rd party back-end. I haven't actually done the whole PVR/tuner hookup, but I was reading through a few tutorials online last night while watching multiple episodes of Restaurant Impossible. ;)

May I ask what was the cause for your dissatisfaction with the Roku 3?

See post #10. Simply not worth the money for the tiny amount of use I would get from it.

Back