New/revised test questions

bobmrg

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Gardner
For those of you who have been griping about the lack of up-to-date questions on the instrument pilot knowledge test, I give you this:

http://tinyurl.com/klkvrw5

All question number references are to ASA's instrument test prep book.

Bob Gardner

Bob- do you have any idea when other study materials will be updated (ie King's)?

Bob- do you have any idea when other study materials will be updated (ie King's)?

No idea regarding the Kings product, but I can respond that Mike from SheppardAir is really on the ball updating his product. During the course of the last 2 weeks, I recall getting 5-6 updates to the product that included additions of new questions, changes to wordings of questions and answers, and changes to the figures (graphics and charts).

I suspect all of the other companies will be updating their products too... but how fast? You'll need to contact their support teams....

Question 3-46/4978, why is A not as good of an answer as C?

Well, the Asiana crash at SFO comes to mind....

Even with all the whizmo's you can cram into the avionics space, the PIC still needs to fly the airplane

Sorry...ASA is my publisher. I have no clue about King or Gleim.

Bob

Question 3-46/4978, why is A not as good of an answer as C?

There is no question in my mind that glass cockpits breed complacency. If the question was about autopilots, I would go for A.

Dunno if you get IFR Refresher, but in the last issue an letter-to-the-editor writer expressed horror that anyone would take off into IFR conditions without a GPS and Foreflight. His assumption was that it is foolhardy to fly without glass.

Together with many, many thousands of pilots, I managed to have a successful career in general aviation before GPS or digital gadgetry were even dreamed of.

Bob

There is no question in my mind that glass cockpits breed complacency.

How does looking at a glass display over an analog display "breed complacency"? If anything situational awareness is increased and workload decreased, both good things.

Together with many, many thousands of pilots, I managed to have a successful career in general aviation before GPS or digital gadgetry were even dreamed of.

Bob

Same here, I flew for years and many thousands of hours using analog. My first few years in a transport jet was with 2 VOR's, 2 ADF's and 2 DME's (no groundspeed readout).

I fly behind a glass panel in a FBW airplane now and enjoy the capability. I believe in keeping everything in check and of course the most important part, I fly the airplane, I don't let it fly me.

From the Airbus FCTM:

OPERATIONAL GOLDEN RULES

1. The aircraft can be flown like any other aircraft
2. Fly, navigate, communicate - in that order
3. One head up at all times
4. Cross check the accuracy of the FMS
5. Know your FMA at all times
6. When things don’t go as expected - take over

7. Use the proper level of automation for the task

How does looking at a glass display over an analog display "breed complacency"? If anything situational awareness is increased and workload decreased, both good things.

I earned my IR in steam, no GPS or nothin', and I transitioned to glass a few years ago.

I agree with both you and Bob. Situational awareness is instant and excellent in glass (I fly Perspective), but I do think it could breed complacency in weekend drivers like myself. The reason for that is when you only have steam, you KNOW you must be on your game--no excuses. With glass one could let standards slide, since there's so much the display can do that your mind should also be doing.

So, of course knowing that, I practice all the time.

There is no question in my mind that glass cockpits breed complacency. If the question was about autopilots, I would go for A.

Dunno if you get IFR Refresher, but in the last issue an letter-to-the-editor writer expressed horror that anyone would take off into IFR conditions without a GPS and Foreflight. His assumption was that it is foolhardy to fly without glass.

Bob

I won't feel safe until I can do it without GPS or glass. (Well, the glass is irrelevant. I don't have it, and never intend to get it.) But my point is, if I can't do it with just VORs, I won't consider myself instrument rated.

Same here, I flew for years and many thousands of hours using analog. My first few years in a transport jet was with 2 VOR's, 2 ADF's and 2 DME's (no groundspeed readout).

I fly behind a glass panel in a FBW airplane now and enjoy the capability. I believe in keeping everything in check and of course the most important part, I fly the airplane, I don't let it fly me.

From the Airbus FCTM:

OPERATIONAL GOLDEN RULES

1. The aircraft can be flown like any other aircraft
2. Fly, navigate, communicate - in that order
3. One head up at all times
4. Cross check the accuracy of the FMS
5. Know your FMA at all times
6. When things don’t go as expected - take over

7. Use the proper level of automation for the task

From reading accident reports and postings in this and other forums, I am convinced that some (not all) pilots think that glass will keep them out of trouble, or, if trouble strikes, glass will get them out of it.

Bob

Bob

I agree that C is correct as well. But I would argue A is not wrong either.
One benefit from a glass cockpit is the lowered workload because of the amount of information and the way it is presented. This can lead to complacency. So one way to see it is, that A leads to C.

I think the question should be worded differently to make it less ambiguous. This one is another one of those questions you get right because of 50/50 or because you remember it from the question bank.

As we all know, the test writers use FAA publications as fodder for their questions. This comes from the Risk Management Handbook:

Risk Management

Risk management is the last of the three flight management skills needed for mastery of the advanced avionics aircraft. The enhanced situational awareness and automation capabilities offered by a glass flight deck vastly expand its safety and utility, especially for personal transportation use. At the same time, there is some risk that lighter workloads could lead to complacency.

Bob Gardner

Back