New Requirements for Private Aircraft Arriving and Departing the United States

Everskyward

Experimenter
Display Name

Display name:
Everskyward
DHSFact Sheet said:
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has enacted new rules changing the procedure for private aircraft to provide advance notice of their intended arrival or departure, and submit manifests of the persons on board. Private aircraft are defined as any aircraft, other than government or military, which are not engaged in carrying passengers or cargo for compensation. The new process is similar to the one currently in use by commercial aircraft and will standardize advance notice procedures for all CBP airports of entry.

http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1226943980107.shtm

Link to eAPIS: https://eapis.cbp.dhs.gov/

(snip)e. Antivirus software must be installed and set to run automatically on all computers used to access eAPIS. All eAPIS Users will maintain subscriptions with an antivirus software vendor to keep antivirus lists current. Users are responsible for performing full scans of these systems on a regular basis and eliminating any virus contamination. If a User is unable to disinfect the system for any reason, that system is not to be utilized for eAPIS access until it is virus free. Please contact the antivirus software vendor for instruction. Should a virus be instituted into the eAPIS system by a User, that User will be contacted immediately by CBP. The User's eAPIS account will be suspended until such time the User can prove its systems are virus free and the eAPIS system is analyzed by eAPIS systems administrators and CBP security personnel to determine the extent of any related damage. (snip)

...this'll be real easy to do at a remote airport in Mexico or Canada.

Reading the rules, it does appear that it is possible to have a service do the filing for you, perhaps one which you contact by phone.

Ridiculous.

I need to read through that in more detail when I'm getting ready for my upcoming trip in January... which would be sometime this week, but not this morning. :)

I'm happy to see that they took into account all of the comments that were sent in and modified the plan in such a way that it will be efficient and workable.

NOT!:incazzato:

Oh, and did you read the warning when signing onto eapis? According to the way it's written (and, I'm sure the way they'll interpret it), it gives them free reign to "acquire, access, retain, intercept, capture, retrieve, record, read, inspect, analyze, audit, copy and disclose any information processed, transmitted, received, communicated, and stored within the computer system." So, if they want to publish a list of where you've traveled, including who you traveled with, your SSN, all personal information, etc., they're free to do so, because you just gave them permission. Note that there's no disagree button that takes you out of the site. And closing the dialog with the "X" button leaves you at the site. Want to bet that they don't record that action any differently than pressing OK?

Attachments

• DHS.png
    DHS.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
And closing the dialog with the "X" button leaves you at the site. Want to bet that they don't record that action any differently than pressing OK?
I noticed that one as well. Government at its finest.

I would write more but I have to go pick up a straight truck to haul some fertilizer and diesel to a farmer.

Edit: For those not catching onto the satire, the last line was regarding how easy it was and STILL is to obtain materials to cause harm. Think Oklahoma City. Yet, pilots are continuing to be harassed for this supposed increase in security.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'll not be following these rules, and don't really care what the repercussions are at this point.

I think I'll not be following these rules, and don't really care what the repercussions are at this point.
Your ticket, your liberty, your choice. Do they let you log on to PoA from a computer in a Federal prison?

Your ticket, your liberty, your choice. Do they let you log on to PoA from a computer in a Federal prison?

What liberty? I'm not even allowed to return to my home without being given permission. If you want to roll over like a pansy, be my guest.

What liberty? I'm not even allowed to return to my home without being given permission. If you want to roll over like a pansy, be my guest.
I'll send you a nice cake with a hacksaw blade baked in. Say "hi" to Bubba for me.

According to the AOPA article:

For pilots flying into remote areas that do not have Internet access, they can complete the process over the telephone, radio, or existing means, such as flight service.
I wonder what that means. So you can still file using flight service?

The final rule still requires that flight information and passenger manifests for aircraft arriving and departing the United States be filed via the electronic Advance Passenger Information System (eAPIS), but now both legs can be filed at the same time, as far in advance as pilots want.
I didn't realize you had to file if you wanted to leave, too. Scary.

-Felix

I know. But too many of us are just willing to roll over and take it, because we are scared of the government. I figure when you are scared of the government, it is time to topple it.

Is this going to be like the "no cell phone" rule between the FCC and us? What does the FAA say about this? This is really just another DVFR flight plan with "names" right?

This is one of those that makes no sense. If they wanted the information, they should log onto Flightaware like the rest of us....

Ya gotta love em for trying.....or not.....

--Matt

Is this going to be like the "no cell phone" rule between the FCC and us? What does the FAA say about this? This is really just another DVFR flight plan with "names" right?

This is one of those that makes no sense. If they wanted the information, they should log onto Flightaware like the rest of us....

Ya gotta love em for trying.....or not.....

--Matt
You have to submit the manifest at least 60 minutes prior to departure.

But you're right, even if this security was needed, I don't understand how this change actually accomplishes anything.

Let's say I'm smuggling people to the US. Prior to this rule, I would land and hope that a) they could run away before the CBP people saw them or b) their fake passports would pass scrutiny.

How has this changed? Now I have to submit their (fake) names prior to departing. They get cleared and we land. I hope that their fake passports pass scrutiny or that they run away.

How is it any different?

-Felix

I need to read through that in more detail when I'm getting ready for my upcoming trip in January... which would be sometime this week, but not this morning. :)
According to this, the rule does not take effect until May 18, 2009.

NBAA site said:
Beginning on May 18, 2009, all general aviation (GA) pilots departing from or arriving in the United States will be required to provide passenger manifest and aircraft owner/operator information to the government 60 minutes prior to departure or arrival. Operators will be required to utilize Customs and Border Protection’s Electronic Advance Passenger Information (e-APIS) system or a third party vendor to transmit this information.

You have to submit the manifest at least 60 minutes prior to departure.

But you're right, even if this security was needed, I don't understand how this change actually accomplishes anything.

Let's say I'm smuggling people to the US. Prior to this rule, I would land and hope that a) they could run away before the CBP people saw them or b) their fake passports would pass scrutiny.

How has this changed? Now I have to submit their (fake) names prior to departing. They get cleared and we land. I hope that their fake passports pass scrutiny or that they run away.

How is it any different?

-Felix
It is different because now Kip Hawley can say, he protected us.

You know, East Germany had steps to follow before you could leave the country too. Maybe DHS should look into implementing some of their ideas.

Apparently you haven't read the proposed rule...it requires the same notification/approval for flights leaving the U.S.

The final rule still requires that flight information and passenger manifests for aircraft arriving and departing the United States be filed via the electronic Advance Passenger Information System (eAPIS), but now both legs can be filed at the same time, as far in advance as pilots want. The only stipulation is that it must be filed no later than 60 minutes prior to departure. Pilots also can update their plan in flight because of changing weather or other conditions. Previously, pilots would have needed to submit that information one hour before each leg. The agency will be checking the manifest against terrorist watch lists—an action that was mandated by Congress.
AOPA and its members had requested that pilots departing the United States not be subject to the flight information and passenger manifest requirements. The association also had suggested that aircraft weighing less than 12,500 pounds be exempt from the rule.
Regarding filing passenger manifests electronically, the agency softened its stance but did not waive the requirement. The manifests can be submitted online at the same time as the flight information, and CBP should have a response (approval or denial) for the pilot within minutes.
For pilots flying into remote areas that do not have Internet access, they can complete the process over the telephone, radio, or existing means, such as flight service. This is a point that AOPA had stressed throughout the process. A survey of members revealed that 63 percent of them do not have Internet access at their point of departure in neighboring countries.
From AOPA.

If I build an airport with two runways, one in the US and one in Canada and the plane land in the US side on its way to Canada and taxis across the border then departs on the Canadian runway does this stupid rule still need to be followed? What if I just landed on a treadmill in the US and then had a truck take the treadmill to Canada?

If I build an airport with two runways, one in the US and one in Canada and the plane land in the US side on its way to Canada and taxis across the border then departs on the Canadian runway does this stupid rule still need to be followed? What if I just landed on a treadmill in the US and then had a truck take the treadmill to Canada?

No, but you'll have to convince CBP to establish a border checkpoint on the taxiway.

Back