new radios

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
With all the new avionics coming on line for aviation, How do we sort out the companies that will continue to be here to support their products in the future?
Companies like Narco have folded their tent and went away. Is there a way to investigate the stability of the parent companies ?

Prime example
I am having a difficult time with the Blue Mountain EFIS

no there really isn't.

at its peak blue mountain was a up and coming company. but when the players change they quickly went a way with no support out there. vision micro is another one, big player for a time, then gone. there is some support for them though.

the other problem is parts availability. I cannot support older versions of my products just because the parts are no longer available to support them. I bought as much parts as I could get,but when they were gone, they were gone.

there are no regulations requiring support for a product. if software is not public domain, if a company goes out of business, nobody can support their stuff after they disappear. it would be nice if companies that shut down would put there stuff out as public domain so somebody could support it. i am guessing that with product liability issues that will never happen.

it would be great if the big guys would put their stuff out there when they no longer support it even if they are still around. i would guess somebody would jump in and update gps data for unsupported equipment if the manufacturer would put the data format out in public domain.

bob

Back