New radios and panel layout

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I am replacing both my radios and the audio panel. After discussing it with others and reading posts here, I opted to stay away from a remote audio panel for the 750.

Just trying to decide if I should stack both radios in my left stack or put the audio panel in the left stack.

Panel_Options.jpg

Which device do you change more often? That one goes closest to you.

I'd put the audio panel on top of the 750 (the setup on the right).

Which device do you change more often? That one goes closest to you.

That's just it, they are about the same. I'll tune an ATIS on Com2 and then monitor it. When I tune Nav2, I don't need to monitor it since the 255 has automatic morse-code decoding.

I'd put the audio panel on the left, but that's probably because I'm used to audio panels tending to take the high spot on a stack.

One consideration is that my wife is in the right seat 99% of the time and having the audio panel on the right, makes it easier for her to mute herself to sleep.

Woo hoo! That's gonna be bad azz

I'd prolly go with the audio panel on the right. Once I set up the panel to talk com 1 and listen to coms 1 & 2 there's usually not much more to do with it. Maybe turn on the marker beacon audio or turn on the transponder audio if I'm really bored...the SL-30 displays Morse code and primary nav is gps...

I kind of like the setup on the left better

Law of primacy applies. How's your current stack set up? Configuring as close to possible can ease the transition to the new equipment.

Law of primacy applies. How's your current stack set up? Configuring as close to possible can ease the transition to the new equipment.

The old stack was Audio (340), 530W, KX155 all on the left side. The 750 is too tall to do all three. At first I thought to put the audio on the top left, but putting both radios on the left is growing on me.

I'd go all three on the right and only the 750 on the left.

I like symmetry. Hence:

The pic looks off but when I put a level across the top line it is on the bubble :)

Attachments

• panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 51
I like symmetry. Hence:

The pic looks off but when I put a level across the top line it is on the bubble :)
Need to check your bubble....it's about 1/2 off. o_O

Something's not right about being this jealous of another person's dilemma... :)

If I were you I'd keep the old stuff (more classic) and send the new stuff to me (no reason to learn something new). :)

Are you going to enable voice command for the audio panel? If so, you may not need to reach it as frequently and can move it aside. That said, I would go for the right version since I'm used to finding the audio panel there.

Right audio panel or right picture?
Set up on the right picture. I like the audio panel being closer personally. Use it a lot during a flight. Especially if you have kids on board during a critical phase...nice to instantly mute them. :)

I think I'd prefer the audio panel on the right. Really I'm kinda partial to one giant stack, but that's why I own a 182. :)

I definitely wouldn't put the 750 way over in the right where you have to slightly turn your head to look over there. That should be nothing more than an eyeball move to look at the map.

The audio panel is on the top of the center stack in many planes because it is generally not as deep as the radios and other avionics and the glareshield often slopes down a bit toward the windshield. By putting the audio panel on the top it can be mounted a bit higher than deeper avionics boxes without the back hitting the underside of a sloped glareshield, buying a bit more vertical space in the middle stack.

If I were you I'd keep the old stuff (more classic) and send the new stuff to me (no reason to learn something new). :)

I asked my wife and she said learning something new is good for my brain. Sorry. :D

What is this going into?

Can you stack it all in one?
Audio panel
Navcom 1
Com2
Xpdr

It is going into a Dakota. Left stack can be about 8.5" and right stack maybe 1" shorter.

Panel_-_Public.jpg

Forgot about that cluster of rocker switches in the PA28s.

In that case I'd say the option on the right.

I am replacing both my radios and the audio panel. After discussing it with others and reading posts here, I opted to stay away from a remote audio panel for the 750.

Just trying to decide if I should stack both radios in my left stack or put the audio panel in the left stack.

Panel_Options.jpg

How did you do the mock layout in your first post? I'd like to mix and match some of my existing avionics with newer/used stuff, or experiment with shuffling stuff around like you did.

How did you do the mock layout in your first post? I'd like to mix and match some of my existing avionics with newer/used stuff, or experiment with shuffling stuff around like you did.

I just googled for decent-sized images of the equipment and put them in Photoshop. Just be sure to resize them proportionally.

Back