New radio, logbook entry question

mtuomi

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
dera
My plane had an INOP ARC 328T, and I replaced it with a TKM MX300. Does the logbook entry have to have the S/N of the new radio? Or is it enough to say something like "removed Cessna ARC 328T nav/comm radio, installed TKM MX300"?

I had some entries like that in the logbook of my last airplane. They were like that when I purchased the plane. I would think as long as the make, model, and weight is in there for W&B change, if there is one, it would be fine without the serial number. I don't really see why anyone would care except for having a record of it and maybe if they can check it for update compliance by serial number. I'm definitely no expert here, but, I know it wasn't an issue for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did same on my plane a few years back. Same radios. I made entry as owner with make/model and W&B no change. I listed the serial in equipment list in binder with other documents. Makes researching ADs easier, but don't think s/n needs entered as part of maintenance performed. My IA was okay with it at annual time.

Is there a reason that you do not want to include the serial number?

Yes. I'll tell you if you promise you won't laugh :)

I don't have it, because someone (that would be me I guess) pushed it in to try it, and I didn't write down the serial nr's. And since it works, I don't want to touch it.

I got insanely lucky. The plane had an INOP ARC when I bought it. A guy who's parked 10 minutes away from me offered me a MX300, with the correct black faceplate, in "not sure if it works" condition, for pretty much pizza money. And the darn thing works!

Yes. I'll tell you if you promise you won't laugh :)

I don't have it, because someone (that would be me I guess) pushed it in to try it, and I didn't write down the serial nr's. And since it works, I don't want to touch it.

I got insanely lucky. The plane had an INOP ARC when I bought it. A guy who's parked 10 minutes away from me offered me a MX300, with the correct black faceplate, in "not sure if it works" condition, for pretty much pizza money. And the darn thing works!

Well, if you can't or aren't willing to pull the number off of the unit it should at least be on the parts tag that it came with.

Yep, bought it 2 weeks ago!

If I remember correctly, you said that was your first....my first was a 150 also; that I loved and wish I still had. I love my Cherokee also, but that 150 was so fun and cheap to fly. If you want a good lunch destination, fly to KGMU, Greenville Downtown, and goto the Runway Cafe. Let me know and I'll meet you there so you can show off your new love! Have fun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may not be a legal requirement for a log entry, but having the serial number of stuff in the airplane recorded in the logbook saves a lot of grief down the road when manufacturers issue recall notices or the FAA comes out with an AD referencing specific serial numbers. What might be just a quick check of a logbook to see if the notice is applicable ends up being an expensive endeavor to get at the piece of equipment to find out what it's serial number is because it's not readily visible once it's installed in the aircraft. Also thieves have been known to steal avionics from one airplane and swap out the stolen piece into an unsuspecting owner of the same piece of kit. The owner of the stolen radio reports it as stolen but the unsuspecting owner whose radio got swapped with the stolen one won't know he's been ripped off until he needs his radio serviced and the serial number is checked against the database of stolen radios. At least the poor guy would see that the stolen radio wasn't the same serial number as the one he thought he had in his airplane.

If you did work on the airplane, then legally you are required to log that work. Required maintenance record information is covered under FAR 43.9.

It states that on the completion of the work, you must make out a maintenance record that has at least the following information:
  1. A description of, or reference to, acceptable data used to perform the work.
  2. The date you finished the work.
  3. Name of the person who performed the work, if other than the person who approved the work for return to service.
  4. Name, certificate number, kind of certificate and signature of the person approving the work for return to service.
I would personally update the equipment list and include the model & serial number of the new radio.

-V/r,
Dana

Back