New prop for Piper Archer II (PA-28-181)

TheGolfPilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Golfpilot
The end of my current props life is coming up pretty soon. It is not an overhaul candidate, at least I don't think it is. The thing is worn well past the paint job...
Anyway props on these things are relatively cheap. A new one can be had for $4,100 plus install.
I have ruled out the constant speed conversion as it is $14,000 plus install and the gains are minimal + the only one I have ever seen was at a mx facility with a leaky prop so NO.

Plane is performs great can get to 10,000 in 17 minutes flat on a slightly above "standard" day (two people) and cruise 125TAS all day long at 75% power... No wheel pants! so I don't want to get something different unless I know it will do better.

Are there any other options out there I may be missing? Or somewhere I can get the prop at a better price?

I bet the Archer has a solid crankshaft and the "install" fee for a CS prop would be in the vicinity of something like 20k?

Plane is performs great can get to 10,000 in 17 minutes flat on a slightly above "standard" day (two people) and cruise 125TAS all day long at 75% power

The 181 Archers are great, I really like the one at our club.. even at 2,400 RPM you get a very respectable cruise speed on a solid platform. For cross country stuff the 172 has nothing on the Archer, I'm sorry

*Good luck with the prop, I don't own and I'm in Southern California so can't really recommend anything, just wanted to say that Archers are a cool plane haha

The end of my current props life is coming up pretty soon. It is not an overhaul candidate, at least I don't think it is. The thing is worn well past the paint job...
Anyway props on these things are relatively cheap. A new one can be had for $4,100 plus install.
I have ruled out the constant speed conversion as it is $14,000 plus install and the gains are minimal + the only one I have ever seen was at a mx facility with a leaky prop so NO.

Plane is performs great can get to 10,000 in 17 minutes flat on a slightly above "standard" day (two people) and cruise 125TAS all day long at 75% power... No wheel pants! so I don't want to get something different unless I know it will do better.

Are there any other options out there I may be missing? Or somewhere I can get the prop at a better price?
Which ever prop the TCDS permits. Check with http://www.rockyprop.com/ in Erie, Co. They can ship anywhere.

I used Sensenich Propeller in Lancaster, Pa. Paid a bit more; $4550 for the prop plus install and dynamic balance. Total cost $5050. Made a noticeable difference in takoff power with some improvement in cruise speed.

Which ever prop the TCDS permits. Check with http://www.rockyprop.com/ in Erie, Co. They can ship anywhere.

We like them too. One of those “no brainers” for a shop choice for a prop around here. Solid work. Decent prices. Reasonably fast. Leave the whole “should it be overhauled or trashed” decision up to them. They’re good.

They did stop doing IRANs on constant speed props quite some time ago, we heard. They decided that having it all set up assembly line style to just overhaul everything that comes through, is smart. It lowers their costs, which lowers their prices, and lowers their liability, which lowers their prices, which lowers the time spent, which lowers their prices, which... well you get the idea.

Their quote to overhaul our prop when we had a little scare that it might need TLC (it didn’t...), was quite reasonable, in the Aviation world, anyway.

It helps that we can fly over there or take the prop over in a pickup truck, but as Murphey says, they do ship anywhere.

Back