New Private Pilot

mjburian

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Marty
I took my checkride on Monday and passed!

From my write-up about the day:

After a weekend filled with strong storms, this morning I had my private pilot checkride scheduled. I woke up early to get a pre-flight briefing and to finish the flight plan that would be used for the test. Weather didn't look like it was going to cooperate at first, but things started clearing up just in time for my dad to fly to Timmerman and pick me up. I met him there and he flew me up to Fond du Lac (he asked if I wanted to fly, but I had a lot on my mind and preferred to just "go for a ride" on the way up there).

When we walked into the FBO at Fond du Lac airport, Jim Cotter was already there... so we got started a little bit earlier than we initially discussed (I sort of wished I would have had some time to review before the test started). Anyway, we started out by doing a records check. He had to verify that I was qualified to take the test and that the airplane was legal to be flown. It didn't surprise me when all of that checked out.

Next, we started the oral exam. He had told me when I made the appointment that I should plan on at least 5 hours for the entire test and had also mentioned that the flight portion of the test would likely be about 1.5 hours. Since the records check took about 30 minutes, that left 3 hours for the oral exam (yikes!).

The entire oral exam took about 2 hours and contained a mix of things. He started out with relatively simple questions regarding requirements for the airplane and for the pilot taking a flight both inside and outside of the country. Then, we talked about a few of the systems on the airplane (during which I learned that the avionics master switch is also a circuit breaker). Next, we reviewed my flight plan for our cross country to Rochester, MN. While we had the sectional chart out, he asked me a few questions about airspace and markings on the chart (ie, what does the RP mean under this airport? Answer: Right traffic at the runways mentioned). Finally, he asked me a few questions about aeromedical factors (ie, hyperventilation, hypoxia, etc).

I had feared this portion of the test since the day I realized I would have to take it. I had pictured a drill sergeant barking out questions and "buzzing" me after I paused to think of the answer. This couldn't have been further from what actually transpired. The "exam" was more of a conversation, during which (multiple times) he was reminded of a story from his past. It was actually a lot of fun, rather than the stressful experience I assumed it would be. And, I learned a fair amount of trivia as well.

At some point, he said something like "OK, let's see what we're going to do next" and we walked out of the room. He wanted to check the weather (and verify that I know how to check it) before we started the flight portion of the test. He was mainly concerned about answering 3 questions:
Should we go fly?
If we go fly and weather moves in on us, where are our "outs"?
Will weather be getting better or worse as the day wears on? (he was concerned about our flight back to East Troy)

We determined that weather looked OK for our flight, and it should continue to get better throughout the day. So, we went out to the plane. I did a thorough pre-flight, making sure to carry the checklist with me so that he could see I was referencing it. The only pre-flight item I didn't check was the stall horn, but he was satisfied to hear it had been tested earlier in the day. After the pre-flight, we got into the plane and I ran the IM SAFE checklist out loud (again, so he knew I was considering it). Then, I gave him a passenger briefing using the SAFETY checklist. We then did the Before Starting the Engine and Starting the Engine checklists and taxied over to the run-up area (I tested the brakes immediately after we started taxiing). At the run-up area, I ran through the Before Takeoff checklist and made a radio call to let everyone know I was taxiing for takeoff.

Winds were light and from the southwest, so we used runway 27 for all of our takeoffs and landings. We started out with a normal takeoff and turned on course for the cross country I had planned. The plan was to climb to 4500 feet, but he asked me to level off at 2500 feet (we weren't actually going on the trip, and not climbing all the way would save us some time). I found my first checkpoint without any real issues and marked the time. Then, after we reached the second checkpoint I ran a time, speed and distance calculation to tell him our actual groundspeed. I pointed out the third checkpoint in the distance and explained that once we reached it, I would turn a bit more westerly to fly into the DELLS VOR (we were maneuvering around a Military Operations Area). He was satisfied that I was proficient in my navigation skills and asked me to break off the cross country in order to do some air work.

He requested a few steep turns, but I knew I had to clear the area first. So, I did my clearing turns and then started my left turn. As I passed through 30 degrees of bank, I added some power (to keep my airspeed up) and continued rolling until I was banked 45 degrees. We made a 360 degree turn to the left and then immediately rolled into a steep turn to the right. I knew from my previous practice that I tend to climb in a steep turn to the right, so I was careful to not use too much back pressure. So far, so good.

Next up was slow flight, but not before first clearing the area again. After the clearing turns, I transitioned into slow flight... first with no flaps at about 60 knots and then with full flaps at around 40 knots. We did a few turns with minimum bank (because we were so close to our stall speed already) and he was satisfied that I could control the plane in slow flight without gaining or losing altitude.

After slow flight, he asked me to do a stall series -- first a power off stall and then a power on stall. I did some clearing turns, and then went right into a power off stall. Recovery was done properly and in a timely manner and we went right into a power on stall. He reminded me to keep the ball centered as we climbed and slowed... then finally we reached the stall and I recovered once again.

With those things done, he asked me to put on the foggles (after a positive exchange of the controls) to do some instrument work. He did a few clearing turns as I was putting the foggles on and set the plane up for a constant speed climb. He asked me to continue that climb and then we did a few climbing turns. Then I leveled off and did a few more turns to assigned headings. Finally, he requested a descent... during which we did a few more turns. He then took the airplane back and asked me to take the foggles off and put them away.

His next question for me was "Where is Fond du Lac airport?"... and I became worried. I had just been "under the hood" for 10-15 minutes during which time we made a number of turns in various directions. I was initially worried that I wouldn't know where the airport was... but then I remembered that there is a *giant* lake (Lake Winnebago) that I could use to find my way. Fond du Lac airport is about 3 miles southwest of the southwestern shore of the lake. I pointed in the right direction and he was satisfied that I could find my way back.

Then, he gave me a choice of which ground reference maneuver I wanted to do. Since the rectangular course would be evaluated in the traffic pattern, he gave me the option of either doing Turns About a Point or S Turns Across a Road. Being given the option, I chose the one that seemed easier to me -- Turns About a Point. I picked out a point and did some clearing turns. Then I approached the point and started my turn. The first time around, he made a joke along the lines of "It's not Easter, so don't let this get egg-shaped" (referring to the tendency of the plane to get blown downwind and instead of making a "circle" around the point the ground path becomes more "oblong"). We did two complete turns around the point and he seemed satisfied with my performance on the maneuver.

With all of the air work completed, he asked me to head back to the airport and do a normal landing. He also explained that he wanted all landings to be done with full flaps. I listened to the weather (ASOS) to make sure runway 27 was still the preferred runway and made all of the necessary radio calls. I entered on the 45 to downwind for 27 and flew a pretty good pattern. Unfortunately, I was a little bit high on my approach but I adjusted and made a pretty good landing.

We taxied back and he asked for a short field takeoff. I reviewed the checklist and did things just as I was supposed to... flew a pattern and made a short field landing, touching down "on the numbers." During the taxi back, he explained that the next takeoff and landing would be a simulated soft field. I briefed him on the procedures before we took the runway, and made sure to clear the area and take the runway without stopping the plane (so as to not get "stuck" in an actual soft field). The takeoff, pattern and landing went well... but he suggested that I keep a *lot* more power in during the flare than I was taught to use. I was taught to keep a "little" power in... and he was saying that he has rarely made a soft field landing without being at full power.

We taxied back again and he said we were going to do a "fun" takeoff... basically, he had a different technique to depart a short field. It was similar to the soft field technique (keeping a little back pressure on the yoke), but it didn't use flaps. He said he would talk me through it (and I got the feeling that I wasn't being "graded" on this takeoff). Somehow, his technique got us off the ground in a shorter distance than the recommended short field technique. We flew a pattern and did a forward slip to a landing (with no flaps, since the airplane is placarded against slips with flaps extended). Since we didn't have any flaps, we flew an extended final approach... using power to adjust the glide path (also, because of no flaps the approach was "flatter").

I taxied back and he didn't say anything. So I asked "What's next?" He answered, "Why don't we head back to the ramp?" At this point I was a little confused, because he hadn't told me I failed yet... and everything I've heard about the checkride is "if you aren't told when you failed a maneuver, you passed." I was pretty excited (and a little nervous) during the taxi to the ramp, but I figured as long as I didn't put it in the ditch, I might be OK.

After we parked and shut down, he asked "Well, what do you think?" I answered with something along the lines of "I am really satisfied with my performance. There are things that I could have done better, but overall I'm pretty happy. What do *you* think?!" And then he said it... "I think you're going to walk out of here today with a pilot's license." Then he shook my hand and said congratulations.

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Wonderful achievement. Beautiful writeup.

Congradulations (again,.. from the red board too)!! Great feeling and a great detailed write up!:goofy:

Congrats!!
From what I've heard Jim is a great guy. A good friend of mine helped him ferry a twin back to WI a few years ago and ended up with his multi rating out of the deal.

Have fun, stay safe, and let the learning begin! Oh yeah, did I say have fun?! :)

Congrats!!
From what I've heard Jim is a great guy. A good friend of mine helped him ferry a twin back to WI a few years ago and ended up with his multi rating out of the deal.

Have fun, stay safe, and let the learning begin! Oh yeah, did I say have fun?! :)

Sounds like the same guy. My sister, brother-in-law, niece and nephew all showed up at the airport to pick up my dad (since he was without a car). They wanted to say hi, but didn't want to interrupt. When Jim found out they were at the FBO, he invited them in and said hi to everyone (in the middle of the oral portion of the exam!). Talk about being put at ease by an examiner... it was like he was part of the family.

WTG Marty!

I think we need to have a fly-in in the midwest somewhere soon so we can get to know all the newer folks on the board. Marty, Stan, Jim, and David are all people in WI that I haven't met yet.

WTG Marty!

I think we need to have a fly-in in the midwest somewhere soon so we can get to know all the newer folks on the board. Marty, Stan, Jim, and David are all people in WI that I haven't met yet.

There's a big one planned about 60 miles east of me for the end of July!:goofy:

WTG Marty!

I look forward to meeting you as well, Kent. I've landed at MSN a couple of times over the last month in my G1000 checkout. Next time I'll send you an IM - I assume you're not sick of the restaurant at Wisconsin Aviation, are you?

I have my first instrument lesson this Saturday, so hopefully will have more opportunity to cross paths with you and other WI pilots.

I look forward to meeting you as well, Kent. I've landed at MSN a couple of times over the last month in my G1000 checkout. Next time I'll send you an IM - I assume you're not sick of the restaurant at Wisconsin Aviation, are you?

Sick of the Jet Room? Heck no! :no: It's one of the better airport restaurants out there. Not exactly a Final Approach or Pilot Pete's, but the food is good. Ya gotta love the menu too.

I have my first instrument lesson this Saturday, so hopefully will have more opportunity to cross paths with you and other WI pilots.

Cool!

Wow the boards are on a roll. 3 checkrides passed so far this week. Way to go guys and CONGRATULATIONS MARTY!!! :D

Marty,

Way to go!!! Sounds like you did great. It just gets better from here!

Tim

WTG Marty!

Congrats Marty! and yes -- we need that WI fly-in! I haven't met any of you guys yet...

I have officially met ZERO pilots since I started training. I tried to get together with a few people from my ground school class after it ended, but things never panned out.

I have made the (e-mail) acquaintance of one (soon-to-be) pilot in the area after he left a comment on my flying blog. We have plans to get our wives together for a lunch or dinner toward the end of summer.

In the meantime, though, I'm looking for an excuse to fly. I realize it's only been a few days, but I almost feel "lost" since passing the checkride. Up until now, there has always been a goal for me to work towards. Now, I'm not really sure what I should and shouldn't be doing.

Should I spend a lot of time flying patterns (like training)? Should I go for a few $100 hamburgers? Should I take passengers (the new driving rules are that new licenses can't ride with passengers in the car right away... should I take a page from that playbook?)?

My "long" cross country took me to Oshkosh and Madison. I've now had a few flights to and from Fond du Lac. So, I'm comfortable flying into any of those airports... but I am certainly *not* ready to fly into OSH during AirVenture (I may drive up, though).

I want to make sure to stay close to my comfort zone... but I've been told numerous times that the only way to expand your comfort level is to operate (just) outside of it. So, no 1500 nm cross countries any time soon... but do you guys have any suggestions as to "goals" I should strive for this summer?

I may get into some IFR training later this year, but for now I just want to enjoy a little fair weather flying.

As for a fly-in... I am more than willing to meet up with those of you that are in the area. Just let me know where and when. The more notice I have, the better though... so I can reserve the plane.

Last edited:
Marty, CONGRATULATIONS!! Way to go. I really enjoyed your write-up. You have already achieved what the vast majority of the world can only think about - becoming a pilot.

Best wishes and remember, it is always a good idea to let the rubber hit the runway first :).

Congratulations Marty! :cheerswine:

Up until now, there has always been a goal for me to work towards. Now, I'm not really sure what I should and shouldn't be doing.
I think that is a common feeling.

Should I spend a lot of time flying patterns (like training)? Should I go for a few $100 hamburgers? Should I take passengers (the new driving rules are that new licenses can't ride with passengers in the car right away... should I take a page from that playbook?)?
All of the above would be good. As long as you can find passengers to go with you I wouldn't restrict yourself from taking them just because you are new. However, I wouldn't take them up for an hour of touch and goes like I did to my cousin when I was new. That was many years ago and she still doesn't let me forget it. Have fun and don't worry or analyze too much!

In the meantime, though, I'm looking for an excuse to fly. I realize it's only been a few days, but I almost feel "lost" since passing the checkride. Up until now, there has always been a goal for me to work towards. Now, I'm not really sure what I should and shouldn't be doing.

My "post checkride" flying has been a mix of fun and continued training. I'll plan a flight like: I'm gonna go do touch-n-goes at these three or four airports and stop there for breakfast/lunch/dinner. Then I'll poll the friends to see who wants to ride along. If no one is up for the trip then I'll go it alone and that's ok too since then I can do stalls and ground ref work along the way.

Most of my pax have been good about not being a distraction at 'portant times but then I give them some ground rules before engine start. I usually limit my touch-n-goes to no more than two in a row at one airport and have only had one complaint when the pax asked if I could do anything other than turn left. :)

Congratulations! sounds like you lucked out with a thorough but mentor-like DE; that must have been nice (I wouldn't know, LOL).

As for what to do next: I agree with the others: practice a little on every flight, but with pax, especially first-timers, think more in terms of a pleasant A-to-B thing with a meal stop, or a simple sightseeing thing. Practice maneuvers are better for your more experienced pax.

Whatever the case, any flying is good flying! Go fly, and keep learning! Set conservative limits for yourself, but by all means probe the corners of that envelope a little... there's some risk in doing that, but I believe that if you start avoiding challenges, eventually you will have no choice and then you'll be unprepared (low on fuel or nearing nightfall and facing a crosswind landing, for example).

And I've found the best way to befriend pilots is to hang out at the airport when you're not flying. Before or after a flight, or if you can't get the plane but people are flying. Good way to bum a ride in something new, too. Or get involved with your local EAA chapter or similar. :D

Congratulations! sounds like you lucked out with a thorough but mentor-like DE; that must have been nice (I wouldn't know, LOL).

As for what to do next: I agree with the others: practice a little on every flight, but with pax, especially first-timers, think more in terms of a pleasant A-to-B thing with a meal stop, or a simple sightseeing thing. Practice maneuvers are better for your more experienced pax.

Whatever the case, any flying is good flying! Go fly, and keep learning! Set conservative limits for yourself, but by all means probe the corners of that envelope a little... there's some risk in doing that, but I believe that if you start avoiding challenges, eventually you will have no choice and then you'll be unprepared (low on fuel or nearing nightfall and facing a crosswind landing, for example).

And I've found the best way to befriend pilots is to hang out at the airport when you're not flying. Before or after a flight, or if you can't get the plane but people are flying. Good way to bum a ride in something new, too. Or get involved with your local EAA chapter or similar. :D

Thanks for the advice. I'm actually going flying after work tonight. I'm taking my wife and her uncle up to Baraboo (about 75 miles away). We'll have some dinner at the casino and maybe gamble a bit... then head back home.

I took this trip during my training (night xc), so I'm comfortable with the route (plenty of visual checkpoints and a few radio nav options as well). But, it will be the first night flight (and night xc) since getting my ticket.

Baby steps...

Thanks for the advice. I'm actually going flying after work tonight. I'm taking my wife and her uncle up to Baraboo (about 75 miles away). We'll have some dinner at the casino and maybe gamble a bit... then head back home.

I took this trip during my training (night xc), so I'm comfortable with the route (plenty of visual checkpoints and a few radio nav options as well). But, it will be the first night flight (and night xc) since getting my ticket.

Baby steps...

Baby steps for sure...

But night flying has a host of hazards. Keep that in mind and be sure you can fly on the gauges if needed -- you can't see clouds at night.

Be throughly familiar and comfortable with the airplane for that flight. Be sure you can reach and operate everything in the dark. Buy a headlamp if you don't have one already, and be sure to have a backup light.

Baby steps...

I haven't started out at night in a long time... what I would do, though, if I were you, is: be extra-careful about the weather briefing, the preflight (check all lighting), and having all the lights/batteries you need. And be aware of your night vision... it usually takes 30 minutes or so after being in bright lights for your eyes to get fully into "night mode", if I'm not mistaken. It seems silly, but what I often do when using my telescope is keep my "seeing eye" closed while I'm setting up, and I don't open it until I'm out in the dark and ready to look through the scope. It helps.

I was reading my old flight journal the other day and came across my first night dual flight- I'd forgotten that while pre-flighting in the dark, I got blinded by the strobes of a plane next to mine on the ramp that had just started up. Something to watch out for, and it's too bad I didn't think to close one eye while preflighting although yes, it diminishes your depth-perception).
Good thing I was not flying solo that night- between that and the very bright runway lights at KTEB, when we took off it was like falling into a well! It was an instrument climb-out for me.

You have both just repeated what has been drilled into my head since my first night dual lesson. Luckily (I guess), I experienced some spatial disorientation on that first flight during climbout. My instructor (who also happens to be my dad) was glad to see that when I became disoriented outside the plane, I immediately started looking inside the plane (at the gauges). Also, my personal limits are *much* stricter for a night cross country than for one during the day. And I've only ever flown one airplane (my dad is part-owner of it).

The weather last night was too perfect to pass up. On the way out, there was a scattered layer at 5000 with unrestricted visibility (10 miles reported, but more like 25-30) and light winds (5-7 knots). The flight back was under clear skies (one station was reporting FEW090, but I saw nothing but stars the entire trip back)... with the same unrestricted visibility and no wind whatsoever. I checked a few stations on the way back looking for wind direction information and everyone was reporting CALM.

As for my night vision, I try to preflight the plane in a well-lit area and carry two flashlights. For the cockpit, I have a red LED flashlight (so as to not ruin my night vision)... but if that ever fails, the plan has always been to use a "normal" flashlight with one eye closed.

I appreciate all of the advice I've received here and on the other boards, though. As a newly-minted PPL, I understand that I still (and probably always will) have *lots* to learn.

Back