New private pilot checking in!

Pnwannabe2

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ORBluebird
After 30 years of daydreaming and 6 months of flight training, I passed my check ride today! After hearing so many folks say the flight portion is the easy part, I really studied hard and the oral was a breeze at just under an hour.

The flight, on the other hand, was a real challenge. I made some of the worst steep turns of my life (within tolerance, but ugly), almost forgot to make clearing turns before a maneuver, had my engine “fail” 3 times, my gps “failed”, diverted to an airport I had never been to with a closed runway under construction, and generally just forgot how to use the rudder. On return to the home drome, of course I got a pattern direction and runway that I hadn’t seen before, followed by taxi instructions on the only 3 taxiways I had never been on (have a taxi diagram handy, even at your home airport!)

Overall had a great experience and learned a lot, but boy was I tense with a DPE sitting next to me! I probably would have benefited from more solo flight practice and a bit less oral prep.

After 30 years of daydreaming and 6 months of flight training, I passed my check ride today! After hearing so many folks say the flight portion is the easy part, I really studied hard and the oral was a breeze at just under an hour.

The flight, on the other hand, was a real challenge. I made some of the worst steep turns of my life (within tolerance, but ugly), almost forgot to make clearing turns before a maneuver, had my engine “fail” 3 times, my gps “failed”, diverted to an airport I had never been to with a closed runway under construction, and generally just forgot how to use the rudder. On return to the home drome, of course I got a pattern direction and runway that I hadn’t seen before, followed by taxi instructions on the only 3 taxiways I had never been on (have a taxi diagram handy, even at your home airport!)

Overall had a great experience and learned a lot, but boy was I tense with a DPE sitting next to me! I probably would have benefited from more solo flight practice and a bit less oral prep.
Congratulations. Welcome to the sky and POA. Git on up there and just putt around a little.

What didn't kill you made you stronger!

Fly safe.

Nice going. Congratulations.

Congrats. The DPE knows you're nervous. Mainly looking for a safe pilot, which you are now. So, enjoy, go fly, you earned it.

Congrats!!!

Just did my own ride on Friday. Feels great, doesn't it? ENJOY!

Congratulations to both Pnwannbe2 and Half Fast. Isn't it great to be rid of your CFIs for a change?
Be safe and enjoy exploration.

Congrats! You handled the non-standard stuff well and that's why you are now part of the club!

Back