"New Posts" and "Recent Activity" selections.

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
For the last week or so I've been using the New Posts and Recent Activity methods of displaying posts. Today I started wondering why all posts for the last several days were in the Hangar Talk forum and discovered that there were plenty of posts in other forums, but they don't show up the way I was using the webboard. Having the forum name listed for each thread led me to believe that all forums were represented, but apparently that's not true, at least per the way I'm set up.

Is there a way to see the most recent posts from all forums in reverse chronological order? I've read the sticky posts on the various ways to use the webboard but I'm still confused and so far haven't found any practical way to find the posts I haven't read without wasting a lot of time scanning all the forums.:(

If you want to see ALL new posts since you last left, use Recent Activity. When you've seen them all, use the Quick Link "Reset All Recent Activity Timers". It works the same way the OLD New Posts worked.

The New Posts link at the top is basically a Quickscan. Different search criteria.

Brian Austin said:
If you want to see ALL new posts since you last left, use Recent Activity. When you've seen them all, use the Quick Link "Reset All Recent Activity Timers". It works the same way the OLD New Posts worked.

The New Posts link at the top is basically a Quickscan. Different search criteria.

Brian,

I've been having the same problems. I tried what you suggested above, and after reading what I wanted, I reset the recent activity timer. Now the posts are not bold anymore -- in both Recent Activity and in New Posts, when I do a search. It looks like I read everything, which is how I want it to look. Great!

But when I go back to the main forum page, I still have those little bulletin boards with 2 papers on them, meaning new posts. Shouldn't those be gone now?

Toby said:
But when I go back to the main forum page, I still have those little bulletin boards with 2 papers on them, meaning new posts. Shouldn't those be gone now?
I think the 'papers' are related to the Quickscan vs Recent Activity. I ignore it, personally.

Maybe Chuck will jump in here...

I've got to ask a question again: how come "New Posts" does not, in fact, just show new posts? That's one of the nicest things about the AOPA board: when you click on "New Messages", you only see the ones you haven't read. When I click "New Posts" here, there may be one or two that have the open-envelope symbol (i.e. there are unread messages), but the bulk of them are ones with no new messages.

Is there any simple way to just see the new stuff?

Dan

Dan Smith said:
I've got to ask a question again: how come "New Posts" does not, in fact, just show new posts? That's one of the nicest things about the AOPA board: when you click on "New Messages", you only see the ones you haven't read.
Not quite correct...

When you click on AOPA's "New Messages" link, you are shown threads that have had activity since the last time you marked them read. If you mark them read today, read them tomorrow and don't mark them read, and then come back on Wednesday, yesterday's threads still show up.

With regard to threads, this forum does the same thing. With regards to individual messages, AOPA hides the messages you marked as read, this software does not.

When I click "New Posts" here, there may be one or two that have the open-envelope symbol (i.e. there are unread messages), but the bulk of them are ones with no new messages.

More elaboration can be found here -->
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/showthread.php?t=84&page=2&pp=40#post4963

Hope that helps muddy the issue. :)

I guess there are just too many "features" for my simple mind. The best bet is probably for me to just use "Recent Activity" and "Reset Timers" to keep track of things.

Dan

Dan Smith said:
I guess there are just too many "features" for my simple mind. The best bet is probably for me to just use "Recent Activity" and "Reset Timers" to keep track of things.

Dan
Been working for me, too! :D

Back