New plastic panel overlay

callegro

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Callegro
Hi guys,

I am installing a new audio panel in my 180D and wanted to spruce up the panel a bit. My current plastic overlay has multiple cracks and such. I wanted to purchase a new overlay from planeplastic.com and was wondering if anyone has some input about purchasing and installing. It looks like I will have to use a dremel to precut some holes and also it looks like there are no screw holes. I wanted to spray paint mine black and wanted to also ask if anyone has any info about the SEM paints.

Thanks!

Pretty straightforward. The overlay I bought was already black and the holes although not pre-drilled, were cast into the overlay. For paint on other plastics, I just washed off the part with soap and water and sprayed with Rustoleum formulated for plastic.

For paint on other plastics, I just washed off the part with soap and water and sprayed with Rustoleum formulated for plastic.

Is this a specialty item? Or something commonly available that I just haven't noticed?

Is this a specialty item? Or something commonly available that I just haven't noticed?

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/specialty/paint-for-plastic-spray

SP_PFP_12ozWhite_L.ashx
209460_SP_12oz_PlasticPrimer_White.ashx

I thought places like plane plastics sold them cast in the factory colors?

Well if it's blue, or one of those baby excrimate colors, best to change it anyways ;)

was wondering if anyone has some input about purchasing and installing...

Get it in black. Paint will eventually disappoint you.

Second... If there are holes that you aren't using in your panel, ask them to not cut them out. For instance, On my Cardinal, I am not using the factory oil and fuel gauges next to the yoke shaft, and if I ever replace that panel I will ask them to leave those four holes intact, and not cut out.

Third... Use a hair dryer to reshape edges or other areas that aren't quite right. A real heat gun (like for heat shrink) is too hot and will melt your new expensive overlay beyond repair if you aren't extremely attentive and lucky.

Fourth... I found it much easier to chuck the dremel in a vice and move the work (the overlay) around the bit. Easier to control. Use a silver sharpie to mark your cuts on the backside of the overlay and just cut to remove the silver.

I redid my whole panel and most other interior pieces in the last five years, all from plane plastics. They are great to work with, but realize going into it that no piece, no matter how simple, will fit without lots of modification and cussing.

Last edited:
Get it in white and then use water printing to really spruce it up. lots of neat patterns available to make it unique.

Get it in white and then use water printing to really spruce it up. lots of neat patterns available to make it unique.

Agreed but any color will work as long as the mold release is washed off. Had I known about water printing I would have gone with carbon fiber - looks good and goes with anything.

Back