New Plane Phobia

Chrisgoesflying

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Chrisgoesflying
I think I have new plane phobia and wanted to check if any of you have a similar phenomenon. In the past, every time I upgraded from an old plane to my next plane, I couldn't wait to get rid of the old and in with the new. It's not like I didn't like my previous planes but I always looked forward to the next one. I'm starting to think about getting something bigger and faster than my Cherokee but for some reason, I somehow don't really look forward to eventually changing planes. Obviously, I would love the larger space and the faster speed, it's a huge difference going from Canada to Florida in a Cherokee vs. let's say a Comanche, but I keep thinking: I know what I have with the Cherokee. I know the engine, I know the interior (I installed it), I know all the little nuances, little tricks, and I'm confident in the plane. My phobia is that with a new plane, it'll take me a few months to get comfy flying it again, there will probably be some work that needs to get fixed because the previous owner didn't fix it, there will probably be some interior upgrades to make it "ours", I won't trust the plane (or the previous owner's maintenance) and all of that doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun.

I think I have new plane phobia and wanted to check if any of you have a similar phenomenon. In the past, every time I upgraded from an old plane to my next plane, I couldn't wait to get rid of the old and in with the new. It's not like I didn't like my previous planes but I always looked forward to the next one. I'm starting to think about getting something bigger and faster than my Cherokee but for some reason, I somehow don't really look forward to eventually changing planes. Obviously, I would love the larger space and the faster speed, it's a huge difference going from Canada to Florida in a Cherokee vs. let's say a Comanche, but I keep thinking: I know what I have with the Cherokee. I know the engine, I know the interior (I installed it), I know all the little nuances, little tricks, and I'm confident in the plane. My phobia is that with a new plane, it'll take me a few months to get comfy flying it again, there will probably be some work that needs to get fixed because the previous owner didn't fix it, there will probably be some interior upgrades to make it "ours", I won't trust the plane (or the previous owner's maintenance) and all of that doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun.
Very much so. I don't plan to upgrade for at least 5 years, probably more, and I'm already sad about it lol. I really love my Lance in spite of her trying to kill/bankrupt me. I know her intimately and have lavished large piles of cash on her making her just the way I want. NOT looking forward to going through that some process again for another plane. Then there's a bigger hangar and more fuel and higher ramp fees and more mx... don't forget the first annual where you get to catch up on all the stuff the last owner didn't do.

Not alone. My first airplane is my last airplane and a large part of that is for all of the reasons you mentioned. Plus, I absolutely hated the buying process. It took about a year for me and I switched halfway through from looking for more of a starter plane to the 182s because I realized I never wanted to do this again. I feel like I won the lottery finding this plane and no way does that happen a second time for me.

Plus, I tend to get attached to things and it's nice to be able to give in to that for once. Pay for upgrades without having to worry about resale value... Paint it any damn color I want... A lot of benefits with a forever plane.

You're not afraid of a new plane. You're afraid of making the wrong decision about which new plane to get and when to get it, because you know that the consequences of getting it wrong involve not getting to fly at all because the plane is in the shop 51 weeks of the year and the remaining week costs you $100,000/hr to fly around the patch a few times trying to regain proficiency so you can go on a trip before ... oh, there it is, another maintenance problem, time to book a same-day airline ticket again!

The remedy for this is to make the right decision. It's as simple as that.

But, diving in a bit, here is why it's a simple remedy. You know enough about airplanes and about your mission that you can make the right decision. From your prior ownership and flying experience, you also know some ways to mitigate the effects of a not-quite-right decision. (I am not saying that you have made a wrong decision, just that aircraft management experience gives you tools for this situation.)

I'm not so smart, so I remedied the problem by putting new avionics into the plane until I would no longer come out ahead by selling it during the seller's market. Now I can't even pretend to justify an upgrade to a plane with an old panel, unknown collection of airframe squawks, and transaction costs of trying to find a decent plane to begin with.

In the words of your countryman: Don't be silly, just send it.

I get the feeling, especially with upgrades on mine. I look at ads and dream everyday.

I seem to recall reading of many pilots that start small, go large, end small and simple. Perhaps I just stay small and simple?

You are going from the known to the unknown. If you are someone who takes good care of his plane, put some considerable dough into it, etc., you should think twice about taking on someone elses poor maintenance and old equipment.

As long as it has a "Fresh Annual", you should be OK taking someone's word on the condition of your next plane...not.

If and when I do upgrade it will be for a newer 206 unless I hit the powerball then it will be TBM time LOL

The reasons I would like to upgrade would only be for technology. I'd like to have a GFC 700 instead of a KAP 140. I'd like to have flightstream and the new NXI G1000, but at the end of the day I'm not sure I want them bad enough to inherit someone elses problems.

And no matter how you slice it I still feel like the coolest mutha f@#$%! in the world when I'm soaring around the country side in MY 206 :cool:

If you can afford it, have an overlap period - keep your old, buy your new, and see how it “feels” to you after 90 days (or more). Then get rid of one.

I call it trust your gut
Seems like your intuition is telling you something about the idea.... and in my experience intuition is worth listening too when it's arguing with your conscience mind....

Good to hear that other pilots have the same thoughts. The thing is, right now we don’t need anything bigger. Sure, I look at ads every day imagining how my flights would be shorter with a Comanche or Bo especially the once a year Florida trip. But most of my trips are 3-4 hours in the Cherokee. A faster plane would cut that by maybe half an hour. Not worth it. BUT, one day the family will grow and I don’t think the Cherokee will be practical any longer size wise. It is already tight with two adults, a dog and usually way more luggage than we need lol. If it wasn’t for the need of more space, the Cherokee would be my forever plane. I’d just add every speed mod possible, upgrade the panel and don’t care about resale value as selling wouldn’t happen until I stop flying in 40-50 years from now.

I don’t see a phobia. I see sensible evaluation. Is this something you traditionally do poorly, and as such it’s scaring you that you’re doing it well this time?

I sure have in the past. I bought the Cherokee unseen. It was priced so well, I moved fast and bought it knowing I had plenty of room in case it needed some repairs (and repairs it needed plenty lol).

In most cases, purchasing a used airplane involves sorting out the problems. Sometimes that is not a big deal, but in my experience is almost always a significant process.

At this point, both of my planes are extremely well sorted, so I am really hesitant to start over with another.

In most cases, purchasing a used airplane involves sorting out the problems. Sometimes that is not a big deal, but in my experience is almost always a significant process.

At this point, both of my planes are extremely well sorted, so I am really hesitant to start over with another.
Amen!

They say your first two annuals are the most expensive. Phobia should be how many AMU you need to burn. That was true with mine, oooof! Wife still bringing up the whole 45 amu engine thing. I’m like that was so last year, lets look at avionics!

This "phobia" is why I'll eventually move towards eab. Knowing everything in and out. Building a workshop for the build is next on my list.

I kinda want to do some lessons in a gyro. Seems like a two person gyro would be alot of fun for local flights and doesn’t need a wide hangar opening.

Back