New plane, and boy is it ugly!

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
Well, I replaced N11152 today with a 1964 Cessna 172F, and I must say it has to be one of the most ugliest planes I have seen. Tan and brown with brown and tan interior. The good side, is that it has a 0 time engine and prop and everything firewall forward is new, plus, it only has 2296 TTAF&E. The guy spent over 20K on the factory overhaul and then couldn't pay the bill. I was at the right place at the right time.
The radios are good, but not what I would have picked. It was IFR certified and for the first time, I have something with an autopilot.:yes: My A&P did the work and said to buy it and make it pretty later. So after I get it home and clean it up, I'll post some pictures.
Now I have something to fly to Gastons.:goofy:

Congratulations on your new, ugly plane, Dean! Start drawing some paint shemes that you're thinking about so you know what theme/colors you'd like to use in/on the aircraft.

Congrats!!

Jason

Sounds like the way I bought a '66 Cessna 150 about ten years ago. Saved a bundle on a very sound, 0-SMOH airplane. By the time I decided what I wanted to do to "pretty it up" (including a rendering of a paint scheme) my wife was suggesting we should move up to a larger airplane. So I sold the still-ugly 150 for a nice profit, but the memories of it are beautiful.

BTW, the 172F (first model with electric flaps) is the 1965 model; the '64 (manual flaps) was 172E. Is yours a '65 built during calendar year 1964? Here are the factory paint schemes, if you're a purist. N5414E is a 172E, N7825U is a 172F.

-- Pilawt

Attachments

• cessna_172e_skyhawk.jpg
    cessna_172e_skyhawk.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 145
  • cessna_172f_skyhawk.jpg
    cessna_172f_skyhawk.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Dean said:
I must say it has to be one of the most ugliest planes I have seen.

Well, its still prettier than the plaine I don't have...congrat, and see you at Gastons!!!

Dean said:
I warned you!

What's so bad about that...looks fine to me! [edit] you should see some of the rental beasts one of the local FBO's have on the line...now thems ugly 172's.

Pilawt said:
BTW, the 172F (first model with electric flaps) is the 1965 model; the '64 (manual flaps) was 172E. Is yours a '65 built during calendar year 1964? Here are the factory paint schemes, if you're a purist.

-- Pilawt
Sorry, punched the wrong key, it is an E model, it has the manual flaps.

Ahhhh, my eyes, my eyes!!!

Nice plane. Congrats Dean.

Dean said:
Sorry, punched the wrong key, it is an E model, it has the manual flaps.
Dean, I have an original factory sales brochure for the 172E. E-mail me with your addy and I'll scan the brochure and e-mail it to you (or anyone else who wants it).

And the others are right -- that airplane doesn't look bad a-tall.

-- Pilawt

Dean, that plane looks just fine.

Last night I came across a F-33 painted in the most garish colors with mismatched interior to boot. The 2 year old exterior paint was a lime green with blue/grey stripes. The one year old interior was neon blue...the seats, side panels, carpet, and headliner. Both were new so I guess the owner liked that scheme. Maybe it was anti-theft device.

Bill Jennings said:
Well, its still prettier than the plaine I don't have...congrat, and see you at Gastons!!!

What Bill Said! OK here is what we will do for you. Everyone comming to Gastons bring a can of Spray Paint. What ever color is fine. By the end of the weekend you will have a new but psychodelic paint scheme. LOL:goofy:

That's not ugly, here's one my dad is looking at:

Attachments

• navion.jpg
    navion.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 250
AdamZ said:
What Bill Said! OK here is what we will do for you. Everyone comming to Gastons bring a can of Spray Paint. What ever color is fine. By the end of the weekend you will have a new but psychodelic paint scheme. LOL:goofy:

N2212R said:

I think we might have to move the Gaston's date up for EdFred and his dad <G> :rofl::yes:

Jason :p

N2212R said:

That's not bad.

Somewhere out there is something that looks like one of the RV series planes. It's borderline neon pink with pink and purple stripes. It's just EEEEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKK!!!!!! Whoever did that is probably guilty of spray painting puppies too.

N2212R said:

Now, I wouldn't tell someone their plane is ugly, cause I love all planes, but I wouldn't be too shy about volunteering to help strip that one... :)

N2212R said:

Wasn't that the Partridge Family's plane? Or did it belong to the Brady Bunch? I forget.:rolleyes:

N2212R said:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOWWWWWW Ed. :eek:
I hope your dad's first priority is a new paint job & scheme! Hope the interior is less offensive! Tell him to defer some of your inheritance(you don't need the money) into his airplane fund so that he can purchase an airplane that is a little easier on the eyes. Think of all the flying time he will miss due to the stripping and painting, not to mention the interior and panel work.
Gary

Ahhhhhhh, my eyes again!

Stop it!

Dean,

Not bad at all. Not nearly as ugly as the chickenhawk I flew during my training...

And it IS a plane!

Dean,

It flies doesn't it? Sounds like a good price and good mechanicals. Those are the most important things. Pretty can come later. In the meantime, enjoy flying your new plane.

Naw, those are just pretty airplanes with cosmetic problems. This is an ugly airplane.

Attachments

• Ugly.jpg
    Ugly.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 76
Congrats Dean that will make a great ride to Gastons this year. I only wish that Essie and I could make it again this year. I don't think we will be able to make it though. I don't think it is ugly!:no:

Dean said:
Well, I replaced N11152 today with a 1964 Cessna 172F, and I must say it has to be one of the most ugliest planes I have seen. Tan and brown with brown and tan interior. The good side, is that it has a 0 time engine and prop and everything firewall forward is new, plus, it only has 2296 TTAF&E. The guy spent over 20K on the factory overhaul and then couldn't pay the bill. I was at the right place at the right time.
The radios are good, but not what I would have picked. It was IFR certified and for the first time, I have something with an autopilot.:yes: My A&P did the work and said to buy it and make it pretty later. So after I get it home and clean it up, I'll post some pictures.
Now I have something to fly to Gastons.:goofy:
It looks like a pretty good Skyhawk to me, Dean! (I am of the "who cares how it looks if it works and is paid for" school; but as an artist, I can also understand how you want it to look sleek and sharp. Maybe some of that paint that shines blue way and purple another, like someone else on the board-sorry I forgot the name--did recently?)

Anyway, congrats on getting a super deal!

terry

Dean, your plane (how you like the sound of that) is by no stretch "ugly". Personally, I like the paint scheme as is. A little wash/wax/polish and it will look even better.

Between mine and Ed Fred's planes, should his deal go through, we may need a separate parking area at Gaston's. Possibly at the east end of the runway, past the trees.

Hey, that's not my plane! Mine looks goooo-oood.

Dean said:
I sure do have a pretty plane, thanks Ed, I feel better now.

Dean, that's really not all that bad looking unless the picture looks better than the plane. If it's faded, I'd try buffing it out before I spent the money on new paint.

AdamZ said:
I like your idea. Also consider making up some stencils (Laugh-In style flowers work for me) of different sizes and hand them out out freely to all the Gastonites each with their favorite color of pastel or psychedelic electric kool-aid neon spray paint.

Don't worry, Dean, it'll buff out:rofl: .

AdamZ said:

You know, that just might be a great way to get people off the fence on whether they can make it to Gastons or not. You could have the place packed solid. I'm almost totally certain I can't make it this year but I'd have to make an exception of heroic proportions for that kind of entertainment.

Dean would never have any problem being noticed in the air ever again..unless he happens to fly over a paint factory that exploded.

Last edited:
fgcason said:
Dean would never have any problem being noticed in the air ever again..unless he happens to fly over a paint factory that exploded.
Maybe he could get a corp sponsor. You know, a big multi colored PPG in an Austin Powers-type theme.

Back