New Plan

RossFischer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flyin Fisch
Welp, I learned yesterday that there's a hitch in my get along and my Gatson's plan. My rental's insurance won't allow me to land at a private field. :hairraise:. I guess it's better to know now than later.

I'm going to fly into Mountain Home and keep the plane there. I might get a rental car, or rumor has it Gaston's will pick me up. (anyone know this for sure?)

I wish I could fly straight to Gatson's for the "coolness" factor. But at least I'm still able to go, and I'm sure I'l still have tons of fun!

Welp, I learned yesterday that there's a hitch in my get along and my Gatson's plan. My rental's insurance won't allow me to land at a private field. :hairraise:. I guess it's better to know now than later.

I'm going to fly into Mountain Home and keep the plane there. I might get a rental car, or rumor has it Gaston's will pick me up. (anyone know this for sure?)

I wish I could fly straight to Gatson's for the "coolness" factor. But at least I'm still able to go, and I'm sure I'l still have tons of fun!
Make sure they actually mean privately owned, public use, which is what Gaston's is. There are MANY fields like that. In fact Clow used to be one. Gaston's is a Public Use field.

If they confirm that this is what they really mean (I'd be really surprised), then someone will be happy to pick you up at Mountain Home.

Edit: How would they expect you to know the ownership status of the airport? If they say "it's on the sectional" then they mean private/restricted use, designated by the circled 'R'. If they say "you need to look in the A/FD," then they could mean privately owned, public use. Generally, though, I've just know them to require that it be a public use, FAA charted airport.

Last edited:
That is really a strange rule. Like Grant said you might want to let them know it is a private but public use field. The airport I am based is also privately owed but public access.

What Grant said. My club's rules are "No private owned, private use grass strips." Private owned, public use grass strips are allowed, as are private owned, private use paved strips. Go figure.

Ross, I don't know what day and time you're arriving (my intention at this point is Thursday). I'll be more than glad to pick you up at Mountain Home and fly you over to Gaston's. I'm sure I'm not the only one. PM me if you want and I'll give you my cell phone number! :)

Hey Ross,

Sounds like you'll be having a lot of fun either way! :)

I wish I could have made it but next year looms. B)

Hmm...I'm conveniently at work...which happens to be where I rent from.

The ONLY thing our ops manual says is "Pilots shall only land at active public airports listen in NOAA (huh?...maybe NACO?) pubs, or those designated by the Director of Flight Instruction.

Basically, if that first part means "listen in the NACO published A/FD", then I'm good to go. Also, it does not define "Public Airports" at pulicily owned or open to the public.

I'm gunna talk to the boss on this one. Thanks guys for bringing this up!

Yep, that sounds to me like Gaston's applies. However if you are ever in question, I make it a point to talk to the people who ultimately can tell you "No, that wasn't allowed, you can't fly anymore." Arbitrary or not, rules is rules sometimes.

Still, I'll be glad to pick you up at Mountain Home if needed. :)

Just talked with my boss, Landing at Gaston's in a no-go, and really might be a better choice for me and the plane.

Ted, I'll take up your offer on the ride into Gaston's.

More on the ruling: We're a CPC, and other CPC's have stopped renting because of lawsuits dealing with renters landing at private fields. It's so grey that we both decided it would be a better bet to land at Mountain Home, where there's an FBO, a hangar if there's bad weather, etc.

I really don't know why it is grey. Does the airport show up as a Circle R on the chart? No.

Mountain home isn't a bad choice, however.

Well, I guess when you're looking out for your company, and don't want some crazy lawsuit it turns a little grey. It's not really an issue of whether the airport is public or private use, it's just that it's privately owned.

Whatever, it's not ruining my trip by any means, yall will just have to travel to see my cool glass cockpit! :D It will be nice to be at peace of mind that my plane has a roof over it, especially when I don't own the thing. I'm only a 70ish hour pilot and I only have a couple grass landings (not that I couldn't do it, it's just one more thing to worry about).

This will still be a fun trip.

(Dave, I can't wait to see the 195 in person, it's one of my favorites!)

No I don't. I'll try for it tomorrow. The hangar space isn't a deal breaker though.

Troy, can I get my 5th poker run card without actually landing at Gastons? ;)

Gaston's will send the van to Mountain Home. The FBO will call for you. It's a long trip so you may have a wait, except there'll be enough other pilots making the trip you should catch a trip sooner.

Back