New pilots - hours vs landings

yachtjim

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jim
I have seen some people with low hours or even still in training with lots of landings! Wondering what people have? I have 180 hours, with 249 landings. Been to over 30 airports in 10 states. So I think I have a fraction of landings compared to some other low time pilots. But lots of cc. What do you have?

I also have about 180 hours and around 350 landings. I've also been to about 30 airports, but in only 5 states.

I am at 201.8 and I have something like 430 landings I think. Even during my instrument rating my CFi always wanted to do touch and gos which I hated after my ppl since I'm in a retract now.

Recently went through this exercise... here are my #s:

661 in 324.3 hr for a ratio just a hair over 2 per hour.

Looking back to the checkride - landings up to and including were 290 in 67.8h for a ratio of 4.3 landings per flight hour during primary training. I also did about 20 hours solo during primary training, not sure if that is typical.

176.2 Hours
407 Landings

See states below, during instrument training we make low approaches 80% of the time.

1000 hours, and about 1000 landings. And this includes a lot of cross country flights.

I have seen some people with low hours or even still in training with lots of landings! Wondering what people have? I have 180 hours, with 249 landings. Been to over 30 airports in 10 states. So I think I have a fraction of landings compared to some other low time pilots. But lots of cc. What do you have?

I think I'm the opposite of you, I have more landings and less CC. I don't have my log book handy, but I have similar hours and around 500 landings. I actually enjoy practicing touch and go's, it's the never ending quest for the perfect landing ;) . Especially when time is short, I'll go to the airport and do 5 or 6 T&Gs or a short flight to local airport.

328hrs 567 landings. almost 2 per hour, makes sense since alot of the flights are a 40nm range and its for lunch, therefore 2 landings and about 1.1-1.3 per flight

About 370 hours and about 850 landings, but then again I was the T&G animal during PPL training I had 550 landings in 125 hours between my PPL and getting my own plane and getting checked out and then use to it after getting my PPL(about three months after getting my PPL). I rarely do touch and goes any more, and only do repetitive pattern work on my once a month or so night flights.

1000 hours, and about 1000 landings. And this includes a lot of cross country flights.

Mine is about even also just over 1100 hrs. But I think I had 600 landings at 300 hrs when I owned the Cherokee.

The Comanche tends to take longer trips.

I actually asked a very similar question on this board about ~3 months or so ago because I was thinking along the same lines. I am at about 105 hours with about 220 or so landings. The consensus I got in the prior thread on this topic was most people are pretty close to a 2-1 ratio of hours flown to number of landings but that ratio shrinks as the amount of hours flown increases. It makes sense because I would bet that a seasoned pilot probably spends less time in the pattern doing landing practice and more time flying from place to place.

As of my last complete log page, 243.5 hours, 468 landings, 140.9 hours XC time (mostly what I do now).

My first 100 hours I had over 330 landings, though, and the vast majority were full stop. You low time (under 100 hours) guys with 2:1 ratios, go get some more pattern work! Play with crosswinds, go to a smaller strip, annoy a Class D tower - whatever but get more and varied experience approaching and landing! There's always something to learn and landings can ALWAYS be made better.

Almost 7000 hrs and so far the exact same number as my take offs.

I have 120 hours logged as CC with my 180 hours total time. I use my plane the exact opposite of DogDaddy! 645 landings! Wow!

Aside from training for my PPL I have not done any closed traffic work. Most of my time is from long CC flights. Generally 2-3 hours. So if I factor in all the short hops I take (Cape to Vineyard for example) it looks like my all time average for a flight is .81 hours.

I was lucky and got landings immediately, so we didn't do a lot of landings during any of my training. I've always been at a near 1:1 ratio when it comes to landings to hours.

I never counted my landings, so I have no clue.

Bob Gardner

Funny you should ask this, as Mary was wondering the same thing on our flight home yesterday. She looked in my logbook and said I had over 2000 landings, now.

That was a close estimate, as I haven't added up my logbook pages in too long. Prolly got something like 1400 hours, now.

Add Mary's 1250+ landings (~800 hours) and we're at 3250 landings in 2200 hours. All successful, so far. :D

I have just over 16 hours, and 62 landings. The landing practice lessons were usually 6-7 landings per hour with touch and go's. Post-solo I've been practicing maneuvers about half the time, and on those days I'll get 2 or 3 landings in at the end if I have time.. The other half of the time I'll mix up full-stop and T&G landing practice 50/50.

I can't speak for all new students, but it is really almost an obsession honing my landings. Maybe that accounts for the numbers you're seeing.

no clue

probably a lot since i'll fly an hour in the cub and land about ten times

I stopped adding up landings after getting my PPL back in <mumble>

I have just over 16 hours, and 62 landings. The landing practice lessons were usually 6-7 landings per hour with touch and go's. Post-solo I've been practicing maneuvers about half the time, and on those days I'll get 2 or 3 landings in at the end if I have time.. The other half of the time I'll mix up full-stop and T&G landing practice 50/50.

I can't speak for all new students, but it is really almost an obsession honing my landings. Maybe that accounts for the numbers you're seeing.

No, that's totally normal.

The first hundred hours are very "landing intensive". Then you start going on trips, and suddenly the ratio drops from six landings per hour, to three hours per landing.

I have 200 hours and over 600 landings. Probably about 550 of them are tailwheel landings. For me, landing a taildragger is about as much fun as I am able to have with my clothes on.

Back