New pilot!

James331

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
James331
Well remote operator pilot.

Just finished my faast review and 35 question exam (100% baby!), did my iacra and uploaded the faast completion *.pdf.

Think I spent well under 1hr for the whole thing, but I didn't time it, lots of it is stuff you should already know, and should be able to just click through on the review, a few pt107 regs questions you can pull up on your electronic FAR.

Guess I'll have to shoehorn another faa cert into my wallet, too bad they can't just print it on my normal airmans cert, after all it is a pilots license of sorts.

I've actually been debating getting a FPV racer for a little while now after watching some of the videos like this one, seems quite fun, they say some will do north of 60MPH with a 6S battery, sounds fun!

..yeah the cert is not needed for that, but who knows, seems there is less regulation and a good bit of money to be made in the UAS sector, who knows where it'll lead me, wouldn't mind a little side gig if the ROI is right.

People are trying to position FPV racing as the next extreme spectator sport. They just had a huge "national championship" or something here in NYC, on Governor's Island. I didn't go, but it sounded pretty involved, different levels of ticketing with different levels of access, bars, food, etc.
http://dronenationals.com/
One race in Duba had a prize pool of $1 million: http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/13/11217974/world-drone-prix-dubai-winner-250000
The course is lit up all neon, might be cool if they can figure out a way to make the watching interesting (stream the FPV maybe?)

I think the UAS sector will be so overloaded soon that these so called $100,000 jobs will be reduced to minimum wage. ;)

From what I've read in the UAS forums, I'd wager the higher paying stuff will ask for operators who also have full scale flight experience, as the UAS only guys seem to always be lacking when it comes to more than just flying/controlling the thing.

That FPV racing really looks like a hoot, aside from not feeling the Gs it looks quite a bit more muscle twitch style flying even compared to Reno or red bull, might be the full scale guy in me, but I'd love to rig up a joystick and get a higher res goggle for that FPV stuff, think the top goggle is 800x600, not sure if it lags with the higher res though, and I have seen interfaces for usb joy sticks, again I'd be interested in the lag time if I were dodging dense trees right off the deck at 60mph

One of the guys at my flying field flew drones in Afghanistan for a while...he made GOOD money, tax free for a while...but he said it sucked serious balls being over there.

One of the guys at my flying field flew drones in Afghanistan for a while...he made GOOD money, tax free for a while...but he said it sucked serious balls being over there.

Cable and Internet in your room and steak and lobster every Friday night. What's not to like?:)

Cable and Internet in your room and steak and lobster every Friday night. What's not to like?:)

Lol I have no idea what it was really like...never asked him just heard what it was like.

So, turns out someone has to get on IACRA and verify my info and that I passed the exam?

My app was just sitting in IACRA with the submitted status, guess any DPE/CFI (other than me) can go in there and sign it off, at least according to the lady at the airmans branch.

I thought this think was a fully self service thing?

Sure he wasn't somewhere in Nevada flying them? Cracks me up these drone operators, pilots, whatever they're called, wear actual issue flight suits when on duty, sitting in a comfy chair playing a real life video game. Cool the USAF is having enlisted become drone operators though. No shooting however, have to an officer for that. :rolleyes:

Cracks me up these drone operators, pilots, whatever they're called, wear actual issue flight suits when on duty, sitting in a comfy chair playing a real life video game.
Oh, crap...I've been suiting up in Nomex whenever I play GranTurismo. So embarrassed. :oops::oops:

Why embarrassed? No one sees you right? Right?

Nomex...

giphy.gif

Hot when it's hot, cold when it's cold

But I just told everyone on POA. So the jig is up. :D:D

It's only one other person on POA. Me and you. All the others are fakes that I created to make people think this is a cool site. So like I said, no one knows or even has seen you besides me, and I haven't seen you have I? BTW my real name is the Walrus....goo goo g'joob!

congrats..
but yes going the faasafety course route as a cert holder it is not a full self service.
in fact you have to schedule an appt with an inspector (just like you would for an AGI/IGI) and/or a CFI to have your info verified (from how I read the rules anyway).
So unless you do this your application will just sit in IACRA.
IF you went the route of taking the knowledge test, that is a full self service, you even print out your temp cert from IACRA.

It's only one other person on POA. Me and you. All the others are fakes that I created to make people think this is a cool site. So like I said, no one knows or even has seen you besides me, and I haven't seen you have I? BTW my real name is the Walrus....goo goo g'joob!

Yep, I am just a figment of mscard88's dark and twisted mind. No way I could exist otherwise. :hairraise:

Back