New Pilot with old DUI and Felony and Monocular Vision

N

not Paul Smith

I always told myself I would write my saga if I got approved for my 3rd class medical after SO many days of searching the internet, wondering and hoping to find some thread validating the dream of obtaining a pilots license. I have been a really good guy for 40 of the 45 years I have been on this earth, but the other 5, it was like my brain turned off.

Long Story short: When I was in college, I did some dumb things, and got caught on two of them. In 1993, I was arrested for a class E felony with some other people. It was non-violent, but alcohol was involved (I was under the influence). In 1995, I got a DUI. I blew a .14 which is under the dreaded .15, which makes the FAA believe you have a substance abuse problem. Additionally, before getting arrested I ran from the police, so the DUI also included an "Evade and elude." Did I mention, I was dumb? I have had both expunged, and diverted, but it all had to be reported to the FAA.

Additionally, in 1981, I became a BB gun statistic, and lost most of the vision in my right eye. Oh and, I currently have high blood pressure that is controlled with high blood pressure medication. So essentially, I have four strikes.

I took my first GA airplane ride in Dec of 2016. Knowing the medical was going to be iffy, I went ahead and did get in early. Of course, my medical was deferred to OKC. Almost 60 days to the day from my flight surgeon appointment, I got a letter from the FAA.

They requested the following:
1. a form to be filled out by an ophthalmologist
2. Copies of the police reports and narratives from both my arrests
3. Complete copies of all court records from the arrests
4. A detailed statement concerning my past, current and future alcohol habits
5. My driving record from all the states I have lived in in the past 10 years (I have had one speeding ticket in the last 10 years)
6. Copies of all records associate with any care or treatment of any alcohol or drug treatment.

It took me about 3 weeks to gather everything on the list, and I fedex'ed it to the Drug and Alcohol division per their request.

105 days after they received my packet, I received my Letter of Approval for a SODA medical test flight for the monocular vision, however I received my 3rd class medical. It came with a stern warning regard any future incidents, and warned that it would be the last time I flew if it ever happened again.

IT IS Possible!!! I hope this helps at least one person sleep better at night.

!PS: did you do all this under any kind of AME supervision or advice, or did you just jump in with both feet and see what happened?

I just jumped in. I had already started it, before I read enough to know there may have been a better path.

Congrats! Unlike that other guy who just wanted to complain, you're a great example of someone who took got busy doing what was asked of him and was rewarded for their hard work.

A box o' donuts and 3 bucks says this is 6PC. It wasn't even a very good attempt to disguise his bad story telling. All he had to do was name one of his buddies Carl and we'd have all caught it immediately.

A box o' donuts and 3 bucks says this is 6PC. It wasn't even a very good attempt to disguise his bad story telling. All he had to do was name one of his buddies Carl and we'd have all caught it immediately.

Sixpapacharlie does have a shifty eye. Doesn't he?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back