New pilot, plane ideas

DoubleNickel

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
DoubleNickel
Just got my PPL and start on my instruments rating next month. I will be moving to northern MN in the spring for work. I'm looking into purchasing an airplane and have a budget of 250,000-300,000 (would love to spend less than that though!). My mission is flying with my wife and 2 children (all of us are small). Id like a cross country plane that will get me to work conferences around the country 3-4 times per year and 2-3 flights out west and to Florida to visit family. Outside of those long cross countries most of flying would be 100-300 miles for weekend adventures and exploration. Id like to land on grass strips for camping and mountain biking in addition to light back country out west. While doing research it appears MN has a great seaplane community and is something I wouldn't mind eventually getting into. It's seems with all that being said the 182 would be a great aircraft. I do like the idea of a tailwheel (185) however the idea of IFR flights with a 185 and low hours makes me nervous. Also on the list is a 206, Mooney m20r and bonanza A36.

For floats I've read the 206 is underpowered. Is a 185 a good IFR platform assuming winds may be a factor a far destinations?

Any suggestions?

There probably isn’t one airplane to meet your current mission. The 182 or 206 would be good starter airplanes . The Saratoga is a good airplane if you like low wing airplanes. Good luck in your search.

Depends on your foundation, but as someone with a 185 I don’t see a issue with someone with a good tailwheel or glider foundation flying a 185 across the nation in land gear, great planes, great IFR plane if the instruments are set up right.

Now for floats

Get a factory float plane, thus no 182

Ideally you’ll want amphibs most likely, aerocets are nice, figure 120kts, you’ll want a 520/550 and black Mac prop or similar, if it’s you or you plus one the 185 is a sweet ride, also has the icon status, if it’s more than 2 get a U206 with the cargo door STC.

Frankly your biggest risk will be amphibs ops, with proper training (I can make some recommends if you PM me, if you are serious) and COMMON SENSE and a good IQ, amphibs give you TONS of freedom and are the best flying full stop, BUT with anything with much freedom, are NOT tolerant of mistakes or slop.

Last edited:
You have a big enough budget for two airplanes and your mission would be better suited with two airplanes... less compromise

Been rocking my amphib for a few years now, sure as heck hasn’t felt like a compromise. Very fast too when you can use a body of water vs needing a airport and then car ride.

The only concerning part to me is the work conferences. Very prone to gethereitis, so please be careful.
You are going to have to compromise, as there is no one plane for your mission. I picked a C182 with BRS as the best overall plane for my mission (lots of XC and high altitudes). With a PPonk or turbo engine, no wheel pants, and STOL kit, you can go almost anywhere. Just have to compromise on speed.

Just got my PPL and start on my instruments rating next month. I will be moving to northern MN in the spring for work. I'm looking into purchasing an airplane and have a budget of 250,000-300,000 (would love to spend less than that though!). My mission is flying with my wife and 2 children (all of us are small). Id like a cross country plane that will get me to work conferences around the country 3-4 times per year and 2-3 flights out west and to Florida to visit family. Outside of those long cross countries most of flying would be 100-300 miles for weekend adventures and exploration. Id like to land on grass strips for camping and mountain biking in addition to light back country out west. While doing research it appears MN has a great seaplane community and is something I wouldn't mind eventually getting into. It's seems with all that being said the 182 would be a great aircraft. I do like the idea of a tailwheel (185) however the idea of IFR flights with a 185 and low hours makes me nervous. Also on the list is a 206, Mooney m20r and bonanza A36.

I've got lots of time in both the 182 and the M20R (including flights to all three coasts from Wisconsin in both), and both popped to mind while reading various parts of your description... But there isn't one plane that will do everything you want.

Cross country - literally? Speed is king, and the Ovation gives you a spectacular price per knot/mile. The 182 going to the west coast from northern MN is going to be a two-day trip, and going to south Florida would be a long day as well. The M20R can make the west coast in a long day if the weather is reasonable, and you can get the M20R with Flight Into Known Icing (FIKI) certification, which will give you the ability to complete more missions on time.

100-300 mile weekend adventures, both will be great.

Mooney can do grass strips, but when you start looking at short or high ones, the 182 is a better choice. At sub-1000 foot elevations, anything less than 2500 feet of pavement or 3000 feet of grass is going to have me looking at performance charts and/or going somewhere else in the Mooney. It's not good for real backcountry flying out west, which makes me sad because I *loved* going to Johnson Creek in the 182. The Mooney's wing is designed to go fast, and as such it needs to go fast to lift the plane. Getting that extra airspeed on takeoff requires a longer runway.

You can't do water in a Mooney. Period, end of story. You can get floats for a 182, though I don't think you can do it with just any 182.

I agree with another poster that you'll probably get better bang for your buck with two different airplanes. Buy the Mooney for going places AND a 180/182/185 for camping and float flying. I think you should be able to do both for $300K.

@DoubleNickel - Tell us a bit more about the travel for work and conferences. Realistically how many of the flights per year? Do you work for someone or own the company?

At Flemming Field (KSGS) is Wipaire that really specializ in Cessna high wing float kits, conversions and higher horsepower mods. But lots of money. If you go that route just the float kit and engine upgrade should easily exceed $200K and you dont have a plane yet.

Curious, were you thinking one plane like the 182/185 and you would remove and install floats as the mission changed?

Last question...if you could only do one thing: either the business/family long hauler or the amphib which would you take?

Back