New Pilot Medical Cert and med question

Discussion in 'Medical Topics' started by Lhatt, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Lhatt

Lhatt Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lhatt
    Looing for advice, I am entering aviation school in the fall and I received my 2nd class medical certificate but then shortly after received a letter from the FAA asking for more information within 60 days on my use of Accutane, that my medical was not denied they just wanted more info. I had my dermatologist write a letter stating that I had taken for 6 months from Aug 2018 to Feb 2019 and that I had discontinued and no longer take it. Is this enough or do I still need an eye test or psych eval. or anything? Also, how long does it normally take the FAA to respond? Thank you!

2. Unit74

Unit74 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Unit74
    Well, I can sorta see what is on their mind...... Accutane was proven to cause suicidal thoughts! Just give them what they ask for. Nothing more, nothing less.

Brad Z likes this.
  3. AggieMike88

AggieMike88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
    I would first return to the AME who issued you the Second Class medical and obtain his input. From that you could determine if a simple or complex response is warranted. And what exactly should be in the response so it passes muster the first time.

After all it was he/she who saw that you took that med, evaluated you, and then approved your application.

Responses from the FAA to supplies additional information can take a while. From what Dr. Bruce has shared in the past.

• Make sure the response you are sending on has your full name (last first) birthdate and all identifying numbers the requesting letter had that identifies you as you. Have this in the upper right of each page. Doing this ensures that as the pages are scanned, they are connected with your file.
    • Send in the response certified mail with the green response post card requested. This will document when the mailroom received the response.
    • Give the worker bees a week or so to get the documents scanned into the system
    • Call the interested airmen telephone number, (405) 954-3261, on non consecutive days to inquire about the status. Be very pleasant so you can find out (1) if the case has been re-reviewed and (2) if a decision has been reached. Keep in mind that non consecutive days means a schedule of M-W-F-Tu-Th-M-W-F as Friday and Monday are considered consecutive.
    • If you are pleasant and friendly enough, they may grant a request to bump you slightly higher in the priority queue.
    • Do keep in mind that the crew at CAMI are extremely understaffed and it might take 4-8 weeks for you to hear back with their decision.

4. Lhatt

Lhatt Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lhatt
    Thank you! This helps!

AggieMike88 likes this.