New Pilot Medical Cert and med question

Lhatt

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Lhatt
Looing for advice, I am entering aviation school in the fall and I received my 2nd class medical certificate but then shortly after received a letter from the FAA asking for more information within 60 days on my use of Accutane, that my medical was not denied they just wanted more info. I had my dermatologist write a letter stating that I had taken for 6 months from Aug 2018 to Feb 2019 and that I had discontinued and no longer take it. Is this enough or do I still need an eye test or psych eval. or anything? Also, how long does it normally take the FAA to respond? Thank you!

Well, I can sorta see what is on their mind...... Accutane was proven to cause suicidal thoughts! Just give them what they ask for. Nothing more, nothing less.

I would first return to the AME who issued you the Second Class medical and obtain his input. From that you could determine if a simple or complex response is warranted. And what exactly should be in the response so it passes muster the first time.

After all it was he/she who saw that you took that med, evaluated you, and then approved your application.

Responses from the FAA to supplies additional information can take a while. From what Dr. Bruce has shared in the past.

• Make sure the response you are sending on has your full name (last first) birthdate and all identifying numbers the requesting letter had that identifies you as you. Have this in the upper right of each page. Doing this ensures that as the pages are scanned, they are connected with your file.
  • Send in the response certified mail with the green response post card requested. This will document when the mailroom received the response.
  • Give the worker bees a week or so to get the documents scanned into the system
  • Call the interested airmen telephone number, (405) 954-3261, on non consecutive days to inquire about the status. Be very pleasant so you can find out (1) if the case has been re-reviewed and (2) if a decision has been reached. Keep in mind that non consecutive days means a schedule of M-W-F-Tu-Th-M-W-F as Friday and Monday are considered consecutive.
  • If you are pleasant and friendly enough, they may grant a request to bump you slightly higher in the priority queue.
  • Do keep in mind that the crew at CAMI are extremely understaffed and it might take 4-8 weeks for you to hear back with their decision.

I'm currently going for my PPL and I'm scheduled for a physical to get my 3rd class medical. Ive taken accutane for 6 months and I got off well over a year ago. Would that be an issue and would I need to get a report from my dermatologist to show to the AME?

I'm currently going for my PPL and I'm scheduled for a physical to get my 3rd class medical. Ive taken accutane for 6 months and I got off well over a year ago. Would that be an issue and would I need to get a report from my dermatologist to show to the AME?

this page from the AME guide answers the Accutane question. See about the middle of the table

For applicants using isotretinoin (Accutane) there is a mandatory 2-week waiting period after starting isotretinoin prior to consideration. This medication can be associated with vision and psychiatric side effects of aeromedical concern - specifically decreased night vision/night blindness and depression. These side-effects can occur even after cessation of isotretinoin.

A report must be provided with detailed, specific comment on presence or absence of psychiatric and vision side-effects. The AME must document these findings in Item 60., Comments on History and Findings

Any history of psychiatric side-effect requires FAA Decision. If there are no vision, psychiatric, or other aeromedically unacceptable side-effects - Issue with restriction: �NOT VALID FOR NIGHT FLYING.�

To remove restriction:

• Use of isotretinoin must be permanently discontinued for at least 2 weeks prior to consideration date (confirmed by the prescribing physician)
  • An eye evaluation in accordance with specifications in 8500-7
  • Airman must provide a statement of discontinuation
Confirming the absence of any visual disturbances and psychiatric symptoms, and
Acknowledging requirement to notify the FAA and obtain clearance prior to performing any aviation safety-related duties if use of isotretinoin is resumed

Last edited:
this page from the AME guide answers the Accutane question. See about the middle of the table
For applicants using isotretinoin (Accutane) there is a mandatory 2-week waiting period after starting isotretinoin prior to consideration. This medication can be associated with vision and psychiatric side effects of aeromedical concern - specifically decreased night vision/night blindness and depression. These side-effects can occur even after cessation of isotretinoin.

A report must be provided with detailed, specific comment on presence or absence of psychiatric and vision side-effects. The AME must document these findings in Item 60., Comments on History and Findings

Any history of psychiatric side-effect requires FAA Decision. If there are no vision, psychiatric, or other aeromedically unacceptable side-effects - Issue with restriction: �NOT VALID FOR NIGHT FLYING.�

To remove restriction:

• Use of isotretinoin must be permanently discontinued for at least 2 weeks prior to consideration date (confirmed by the prescribing physician)
  • An eye evaluation in accordance with specifications in 8500-7

• Airman must provide a statement of discontinuation
Confirming the absence of any visual disturbances and psychiatric symptoms, and
Acknowledging requirement to notify the FAA and obtain clearance prior to performing any aviation safety-related duties if use of isotretinoin is resumed
But I havent taken any accutane for over a year would i still need to provide a report from my dermatologist about my absence?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back