New pilot ground school question

Rallyist

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Rallyist
Hello, I am working towards my PPL, and I have a question about ground schools. I have been taking lessons from a private instructor at my local airport 29D and then KFKL, and he has been excellent. Unfortunately, I am left to my own devices for my ground training. I have 38 hours and my first solo under my belt, but before I start doing XCs, I want to make sure I have covered all topics and information I need to know. I have been studying a lot, obviously to make it this far, but whenever I read in some of these forums, it seems that there is still quite a lot of information that I ought to know by now that hasn't come up in my own readings. Anyways, I want to make sure I have all the information I need to know covered and memorized so I will be all set to do my XCs and PPL tests in the coming weeks.

So my question is this, would it be a good thing for me to do the Sporty's Learn to fly course online, MzeroA online ground school, or are there better options for me to make sure I have all the knowledge I need to have before my tests and XCs? Obviously a short time flying under my belt, so sorry if this seems like a dumb question. I figure better to have asked it than get up there and not have all the information I need.

Thanks!

I used Prepware, it's cheap and has over 600 test questions far more than you will face. You can get it on any pilot site.

Make sure you know sectionals, VOR/NDB, weather, mechanicals, airport markings and procedures, principals of flight - basically the material in the FAA pilot handbook and air knowledge pdfs, and the AIM.

The checkride will be different. You won't be expected to repeat your written test knowledge, but you will be expected to answer similar questions but in a way that shows you are not just memorizing the material, that you know it and can apply it.

Your CFI will suggest someone other than him/her to do a mock checkride that should include a ground portion as a dry run.

Last edited:
Read the free FAA publications, Airplane Flying Handbook and Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. You don't have to spend a dime.

I would suggest that you download the 80-page ebook at www.FreeFlyBook.com. It will answer just about any question you could have. No sign up or email address is required. Just click and download.

Next on your list, visit www.OnlineGroundSchool.com. You can register for free and take one-third of the course without charge. NO other course gives you a free test drive of that extent. The Gold Seal Ground School is complete prep for both the FAA Knowledge Test as well as the check ride.

if you are consistently getting passing grades on 60+ test questions here:

http://www.exams4pilots.com/

you may be ready for the written.

your instructor will let you know when you're ready for xc's.

Thanks very much for all of your responses. My instructor says he thinks I am pretty well ready for my XCs, but there is so much to know, I just want to be sure for myself. I'll be looking at several of those sites and documents right now. Thanks again.

Frankly, for drill and kill, there's no better computer answer in my opinion than Irwin Gleim.

If you want to actually learn something, it would depend on your learning style. It can run anywhere from a live ground school, to the "cornier than Indiana in August" John and Martha King to some of the fancier online tools.

In addition to the other suggestions, sometimes a community college might offer a ground school taught by a local CFI.

I bought the PHAK and AFH from the FAA. My instructor is doing my ground instruction as we go. We do about an hour or so on the ground first, fly for an hour or so, then debrief for as long as needed to clear things up. I am absolutely going to pay more for my ppl this way, but my goal isn't "as cheap as possible", it is the highest quality of instruction. For me, this works best. I hope you find what works best for you, that is just one option if your instructor is willing.

Read the free FAA publications, Airplane Flying Handbook and Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. You don't have to spend a dime.

I have to agree with Jordan. I used these and the Gleim book and did well on my written. Also, you don't need to know everything for your XC...just make sure you pay attention when your CFI takes you on the first dry-run, ask questions, and make sure you're comfortable doing it on your own. It's an amazing day flying that far yourself for the first time!

Get the king videos, they are the gold standard.

Go to dauntless and get the private practice test, go over it again and again, MAKE SURE YOU SELECT SHOW CORRECT ANSWER AFTER ANSWERING QUESTION OPTION

Buy the book "from the ground up" and "everything explained for the professional pilot"

Watch the videos, and take the practice tests. Anything you don't get look up in those two books, anything you still don't get bring to your CFI.

Once you're constantly getting over a 80% on the practice tests you're ready for your written at a laser grade center (I would NOT recommend CATs due to the lack of a really good onscreen E6B ).

I've used this methods with a metric ton of students and have yet to have one EVER fail a written or oral, which is what this stuff covers.

So my question is this, would it be a good thing for me to do the Sporty's Learn to fly course online, MzeroA online ground school, or are there better options for me to make sure I have all the knowledge I need to have before my tests and XCs?
Those are all good options. So are Bob Gardner's "Complete Private Pilot" book, King's DVD's, the various FAA Handbooks (Aviation Weather, Aviation Weather Services, Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, Airplane Flying Handbook), and the Jeppesen Private Pilot Manual, and Jeppesen's Flite School interactive computer-based system. The problem is we can't tell from your post what your most effective learning method is, so it's hard to recommend any one of those over the others for you.

I'm going to try the online and book reading options first before I give the live ground school a go. I went all through high school online with lots of book reading and web learning. Just knowing the proper documents and web sites to use will be very helpful.

I'm going to try the online and book reading options first before I give the live ground school a go. I went all through high school online with lots of book reading and web learning. Just knowing the proper documents and web sites to use will be very helpful.

Remember, you can take the written as many times as you need, but you will face tougher questions and more of them on the checkride if you need to take it more than once.

You only need 70%...that means out of 60 you can miss 18. If you do worse than that you probably should not be flying anyway.

Hello, I am working towards my PPL, and I have a question about ground schools. I have been taking lessons from a private instructor at my local airport 29D and then KFKL, and he has been excellent. Unfortunately, I am left to my own devices for my ground training. I have 38 hours and my first solo under my belt, but before I start doing XCs, I want to make sure I have covered all topics and information I need to know. I have been studying a lot, obviously to make it this far, but whenever I read in some of these forums, it seems that there is still quite a lot of information that I ought to know by now that hasn't come up in my own readings. Anyways, I want to make sure I have all the information I need to know covered and memorized so I will be all set to do my XCs and PPL tests in the coming weeks.

So my question is this, would it be a good thing for me to do the Sporty's Learn to fly course online, MzeroA online ground school, or are there better options for me to make sure I have all the knowledge I need to have before my tests and XCs? Obviously a short time flying under my belt, so sorry if this seems like a dumb question. I figure better to have asked it than get up there and not have all the information I need.

Thanks!

First things first: FAR 61.105 says that an applicant for a private pilot certificate "must receive and log ground training from an authorized instructor or complete a home study course...." Seems to me that your instructor has failed you on that count. If you opt for a home study course, it must be one that provides a certificate of completion; you have to have something to show the examiner to prove compliance with 61.105.

Now let's distinguish between ground school and ground training: Ground training takes place before and after each instructional flight. Preflight consists of discussing the upcoming lesson, a review of the homework your instructor gave you. Pretty much a white-board discussion. Postflight consists of reviewing the lesson you have just completed, discussing the good things and the things that need more emphasis, a homework assignment, and a preview of the next lesson. There is no regulation that requires ground school.

Bob Gardner

Bob, this is exactly what my training looks like. One thing though, my instructor has not made any entries in my logbook for ground training. Should I ask about this or is it just an endorsement he will make at some point later?

Bob, this is exactly what my training looks like. One thing though, my instructor has not made any entries in my logbook for ground training. Should I ask about this or is it just an endorsement he will make at some point later?
Before you take you written, your CFI is required to provide you with an endorsement that you have received the required ground training or have completed a home study course and are ready to take the written exam.

You won't be allowed to take the test without the endorsement.

I would think this would be sufficient for the checkride, also.

Student

70+ hours! :eek:

+100

There' a difference between the "study to pass the written" and good ground school material. These are for ground school, Gleim and the rest of the "test reviews" are just that- to check that you've learned the material.

The link to the great FAA handbook: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/
You can download the whole PDF (100+ MB) or each chapter separately.
Don't just use the test-prep materials, they will only teach you answers to questions. They won't explain why. Which is what you actually need to learn.

The FAA book has color illustrations and they are very well done to explain even the hard-to-explain materials (for me, it was P-factor, for example).
A buddy of mine actually bought me a paper copy for my b-day so I have the great smart book on the bedside table. :)

I bought the PHAK and AFH from the FAA. My instructor is doing my ground instruction as we go. We do about an hour or so on the ground first, fly for an hour or so, then debrief for as long as needed to clear things up. I am absolutely going to pay more for my ppl this way, but my goal isn't "as cheap as possible", it is the highest quality of instruction. For me, this works best. I hope you find what works best for you, that is just one option if your instructor is willing.

Your instructor is complying with FAR 61.107(a). It is amazing to me how many instructors fall down on this very important job.

Bob Gardner

If I were your examiner I would look to your logbook for compliance. However, it may be that his practice is to make an all-inclusive endorsement before signing you off for the checkride. I don't particularly care for that approach, but so long as it makes the examiner happy.... Definitely ask him about it.

There is no regulatory requirement for "ground school" for any certificate or rating.

Bob Gardner

Back