New paint for C182

Rocketman90251

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Richard
I read that many of the major airlines send their planes down to Central America for paint and overhaul. Apparently, there are excellent painters and mechanics available and the price is so much less expensive that it is worthwhile to fly the plane down there to have labor intensive work like a paint job performed.

Has anyone had any experience having their plane worked on in Central America or anywhere outside the US?

I bet my insurance excludes leaving the plane unattended in a foreign country for a week or two. Maybe it’s ok if you vacation there.

Upside:save 10k?
Risks: a mile long list

It’s still tempting. Are we writing a book? I’d add the old college friend who lives in the area and is retired cia.

My former and currently airline now get them painted at KGUS.

In a former life we used a vendor at QRO. A lot of parts were lost in transit to the airport. :rolleyes2:

Airlines which send planes outside the country have a team of project managers and technicians that camp on the project until complete. Another driver is high VOC materials now banned or highly limited in the USA are still available outside the country.

Not uncommon for small GA planes to have undiscovered issues when the paint is stripped exposing corrosion, old body work, or neglected maintenance. Good idea to be accessible for observations and inspection.

Last edited:
Why?

Before I purchased a paint shop, and part of the reason I learned how to paint, was because of the pricing in Mexico and the Dominican Republic compared to the US and my perception of price. The materials used were inferior; the work performed was average and the savings non existent when fuel was taken into account.

I am constantly surprised at the misunderstandings that exist around paint; chromating / alodining or not, whether Imron is legal across the US (it is, we paint with it), the long term difference between different paints used, custom paint jobs and the like. I’m lucky enough to have painters that taught for Axalta or won awards at Oshkosh from here in Southern California.

A Matterhorn white paint job with two colors of stripes is not / should not be expensive. Several flights schools we do business do it even cheaper, asking for an overall white paint job with nothing more than N Numbers painted, and a large decal showing their business name and emblem on the tail or door.

Back