New Ohio Gun law legislation question....

BTW, passed my CCW course last night with n oissues.

Have appointment with the County Sheriff on Dec 4th, two weeks from the date I made it (Tuesday) cause that was the earliest. Having to take the day off form work jsut to go down there for 15 minutes. May not be able to pick it up a few days later cause of work, but when I do, I will be carrying like everyone else. Bought myself a Springfield Arms XDm 9MM compact carry pistol last night to.

I have been wanting to do it for years and just had not gotten around to.

David

Last edited:
One bad apple spoils and such. . .

Company you keep . . . And such.

This, from a guy who names himself after an alcoholic beverage.

A lot more people die every year because of drunks on the road than because of guns, and the people in the pic look like the kind of folks who would be sitting alongside Jose at the bar.

We were taught the different alert levels without the hard to remember color codes. The color codes are useless in everyday life and I doubt anyone thinks "I am in yellow condition."

I wish that I led such a sheltered life as you. LOL.

The color codes are the easiest way to remember the "alert levels." This has been proven time and time again over the 50 years since they were developed by Colonel Cooper. They are doctrine for most American police agencies, as well as for the Secret Service, FBI, special operators around the world, and a few million people who routinely carry firearms for defense. They are taught at every advanced academy of self-defense that I've ever heard of.

Since the experts use and teach the Cooper codes, I'd have to say that they aren't as useless as you seem to think they are.

And no, I don't think "I am in Condition Yellow" -- I simply AM, and have the appropriate mindset.

It won't fit in my purse????

Many years ago, I was driving down the road with the family, and my then-5-year-old eldest son piped up from the back:

"I know why you carry a pistol, Dad!"

I expected him to say "for snakes" or something similar, when I asked him why.

"Because a RIFLE won't fit in your HOLSTER!"

I wish that I led such a sheltered life as you. LOL.

The color codes are the easiest way to remember the "alert levels." This has been proven time and time again over the 50 years since they were developed by Colonel Cooper. They are doctrine for most American police agencies, as well as for the Secret Service, FBI, special operators around the world, and a few million people who routinely carry firearms for defense. They are taught at every advanced academy of self-defense that I've ever heard of.

Since the experts use and teach the Cooper codes, I'd have to say that they aren't as useless as you seem to think they are.

And no, I don't think "I am in Condition Yellow" -- I simply AM, and have the appropriate mindset.

Are you saying that the color codes have more meaning than just teaching somewhat about the different levels of alertness? As in a real-world, outside of classroom use?

Not so sheltered these days btw. I was as a kid. :( Many problems caused by it.

David

Are you saying that the color codes have more meaning than just teaching somewhat about the different levels of alertness? As in a real-world, outside of classroom use?

Absolutely. Consider another common use of color, traffic lights. When you see the green go to yellow, you shift your mindset from "I can go" to "I may need to stop." You then do a number of things based on that mindset (slow down or speed up, check cross traffic, etc), what's called a "package." These things are all associated in the "yellow light package." If you see traffic pulling to the intersection, and you start expecting a yellow light, so you start doing the things that go along with it.

Another package is what you do in a wave-off. You don't read the POH, you simply shift mindset and do what you've practiced before.

With the Cooper codes, you associate actions and stimuli the same way. I put on my pistol and think "Okay, now I have to pay better attention to what's going on around me," because that's part of the package.

Absolutely. Consider another common use of color, traffic lights. When you see the green go to yellow, you shift your mindset from "I can go" to "I may need to stop." You then do a number of things based on that mindset (slow down or speed up, check cross traffic, etc), what's called a "package." These things are all associated in the "yellow light package." If you see traffic pulling to the intersection, and you start expecting a yellow light, so you start doing the things that go along with it.

Another package is what you do in a wave-off. You don't read the POH, you simply shift mindset and do what you've practiced before.

With the Cooper codes, you associate actions and stimuli the same way. I put on my pistol and think "Okay, now I have to pay better attention to what's going on around me," because that's part of the package.

Ok, I understand where you are coming from now. It does make sense. I am going to do some futher reading on the subject as I have found some articles on the net.

David

This, from a guy who names himself after an alcoholic beverage.

A lot more people die every year because of drunks on the road than because of guns, and the people in the pic look like the kind of folks who would be sitting alongside Jose at the bar.

I'll change my screen ID to Pappy VanWinkle if it makes you happier ' cuz I am guessing you wouldn't understand that, either.

Screen name smack: the ultimate retort when making a fool of one's self.

1st Ohio needs to approve guns in the State House. If people can have guns where I work, they can have guns where politicians work.

I would not print on purpose either but I am not so sure open carry is bad either. There is a big open carry movement here it seems, at least online anyways. Have thought about it but I am not sure I have the courage to do so.

David

I would never open carry. Guess who's gonna be the first target if
something goes down? Surprise is your friend.

RT

RT

You definitely make a good point. Both sides of the issue in fact have good points but I am thinking that not making myself a target is the best point.

Sometimes I think open carry is more of just showing off anyways. Playing the macho card so to speak. Other times I think it is still self-defense.

I don't know. I suppose the best thing is at least having the right to open or concealed carry whether you do it or not like having the choice to wear a motorcycle helmet or not.

David

I'll change my screen ID to Pappy VanWinkle if it makes you happier ' cuz I am guessing you wouldn't understand that, either.

Screen name smack: the ultimate retort when making a fool of one's self.

No, simply pointing out that the people you're condemning look like the kind of people who are also find beer the inspiration for their screen names, just like you and Bubba J.

You're attacking them for the image they chose to present, when your own is no better.

Had a meting with a POed client at a new shooting range a few months ago. He walks into the meeting with what looked like a 9MM handgun strapped to his belt. I looked at him, smiled and said, Hell, if I had known it was going to be this kind of meeting I would have worn my 357.

I would never open carry. Guess who's gonna be the first target if something goes down?

I've seen this suggestion hundreds of times over the years.

I've never seen a report in which someone was intentionally targeted because they were casually OCing where a crime was being committed (as opposed to a uniformed cop or guard of some type, attacked as Step 1 in a plan or because someone saw him and panicked).

No, simply pointing out that the people you're condemning look like the kind of people who are also find beer the inspiration for their screen names, just like you and Bubba J.

You're attacking them for the image they chose to present, when your own is no better.

Nope. Just pointing out how a bunch of knuckle heads harassing a group of moms at lunch just builds more anti- support.

Doesn't have a thing to what my screen name is.

But, keep trying to deflect and not address the issue.

RT

Don't know, doesn't seem to be much of a concern for cops.

I can see one setup where OC is the way to go, and that is while making night deposits for your business or restaurant. Why relying on suprise if you can keep the riff-raff at a distance from the get-go ? Criminals who target people making night deposits are opportunists, they have no interest getting into an armed confrontation.

A couple of years ago I wandered into a pakistani owned grocery store in the not so nice part of town. Owner and both clerks on duty that night were carrying compact Glocks in retention holsters, it also looked like the owner was wearing a vest. I would think they have less of a loss issue in that store than comparable businesses :rofl: .

Take two bits of of advice from an old guy.
1. Don't ask, Don't tell
2. Don't print -
To make that as sure as possible carry the smallest gun possible.
Fact: You are not going to the shoot out at the OK Corral.
One shot and run - with a second shot in the other barrel just in case.

Take two bits of of advice from an old guy.
1. Don't ask, Don't tell
2. Don't print -
To make that as sure as possible carry the smallest gun possible.
Fact: You are not going to the shoot out at the OK Corral.
One shot and run - with a second shot in the other barrel just in case.

The first rule of gunfighting: Bring enough gun.

My social pistol is an EAA Witness Match in 10mm Auto, because I care enough to send the very best.

One shot then run assumes
1), that you only have one assailant,
2), that he leaves you an escape route, and
3), that you're physically able to use that route.

In the Real World(tm), goblins travel in packs, they attack at the time and place of their choosing (with no way out for the victim), and firing one shot won't impress the ones you don't shoot.

Last edited:
And what about the ones who do? And also, I would like to hear just ONE sane reason why do you need to open-carry AR15.

To not leave it unattended in a vehicle. I've seen folks carry them into the convenience store after leaving the range. Not a big deal at all.

I don't have time to read ALL o the replies. But if I carry concealed, it is concealed. Nobody knows I have it but me. The only way they'll know is if I need it, in which case, I really don't care what they think.

To not leave it unattended in a vehicle. I've seen folks carry them into the convenience store after leaving the range. Not a big deal at all.

Definitely makes sense. But I was thinking something along the lines of leaving your house with AR15 on your back just for a casual stroll around town.

The first rule of gunfighting: Bring enough gun.

My social pistol is an EAA Witness Match in 10mm Auto, because I care enough to send the very best.

One shot then run assumes
1), that you only have one assailant,
2), that he leaves you an escape route, and
3), that you're physically able to use that route.

In the Real World(tm), goblins travel in packs, they attack at the time and place of their choosing (with no way out for the victim), and firing one shot won't impress the ones you don't shoot.
G20 for me:D

Back