New Narragansett RI TFR

JoeInCT

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Joseph Szarmach Jr.
Anyone notice a new (odd) "security" TFR in the area off shore between Block Island RI and Newport RI between the surface and 400ft? "Pilots who do not adhere may be intercepted, detained, and interviewed by law enforcement. It is a odd squared off area. But seriously, WTF? Tired of airspace grabs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220611-094238_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220611-094238_Chrome.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
"Pilots who do not adhere may be intercepted, detained, and interviewed by law enforcement.
Not seeing that in the text of the TFR?????

Or, should I type "NT SNG THT N TH TXT F TH TFR?????"

https://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_2_7152.html
No UAS operations are authorized in the areas covered by this NOTAM (except as described).

EXC AS SPECIFIED BLW:

A. UAS OPS MAY BE AUTH WI THE DEFINED SSI AIRSPACE IF IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE RQMNTS LISTED BLW: 1) UAS OPS IN DCT SUPPORT OF AN ACT NTL DEFENSE, HOMELAND SECURITY, LAW ENFORCEMENT, FIREFIGHTING, SAR, OR DISASTER RESPONSE MISSION; 2) UAS OPS IN SUPPORT OF EVENT OPS; 3) COMMERCIAL UAS OPS WITH A VALID STATEMENT OF WORK; 4) MUST BE IN POSSESSION OF AN APPROVED SPECIAL GOVERNMENTAL INTEREST(SGI) AIRSPACE WAIVER; 5) AND COMPLY WITH ALL OTHER APPLICABLE FEDERAL AVIATION REGULATIONS.

B. UAS OPR IDENTIFIED IN A.1, A.2 OR A.3 ABV MUST APPLY FOR A SGI WAIVER VIA EMAIL AT 9-ATOR-HQ-SOSC@FAA.GOV.

C. UAS OPR WHO DO NOT COMPLY WITH APPLICABLE AIRSPACE RESTRICTIONS ARE WARNED THAT PURSUANT TO 10 U.S.C.SECTION 130I AND 6 U.S.C.SECTION 124N, THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE(DOD), THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY(DHS) OR THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE(DOJ) MAY TAKE SECURITY ACTION THAT RESULTS IN THE INTERFERENCE, DISRUPTION, SEIZURE, DAMAGING, OR DESTRUCTION OF UNMANNED ACFT DEEMED TO POSE A CREDIBLE SAFETY OR SECURITY THREAT TO PROTECTED PERSONNEL, FAC, OR ASSETS.

D. THE SYSTEM OPS SUPPORT CENTER (SOSC), IS THE CDN FAC FOR OPR ACCESS AND IS AVBL DLY FM 0600-2359 EASTERN, TEL 202-267-8276 FOR CDN.

E. THE FAA RECOMMENDS THAT ALL ACFT OPR CK NOTAMS FREQUENTLY FOR POSSIBLE CHANGES TO THIS TFR PRIOR TO OPS WI THIS REGION. OPR MAY REVIEW THE TFR DETAILS ON THE INTERNET AT HTTPS://TFR.FAA.GOV/ OR HTTPS://WWW.1800WXBRIEF.COM. IF QUESTIONS REMAIN, CTC FSS, TEL 800-992-7433.

Based on the dates and location, tied to the Newport to Bermuda sailing race. Just for drones.

Call me chicken sh** but I'd rather never be skimming along that cold water AOB 400' regardless of that TFR, but maybe that's my subpar swimming abilities talking.

Anyone notice a new (odd) "security" TFR in the area off shore between Block Island NH and Newport RI between the surface and 400ft? "Pilots who do not adhere may be intercepted, detained, and interviewed by law enforcement. It is a odd squared off area. But seriously, WTF? Tired of airspace grabs.

Block Island, NH?

Based on the dates and location, tied to the Newport to Bermuda sailing race. Just for drones.

50 years of this race running and no issues and suddenly drones may cause problems? As noted, another over reaction.

50 years of this race running and no issues and suddenly drones may cause problems? As noted, another over reaction.
They didn't have drones 50 years ago

Some people are jerks and some of them fly drones.

Lot of drones in 1972 were there?

Not saying it's needed or not, but the fact that there wasn't a drone related TFR for 40+ years when they weren't really a thing isn't much evidence of not needing it now.

While agree, I can think of another reason that drones didn’t cause problems for most of the past 50 years.

edit: I apparently type slower than others.

I was flying "Unmanned Aircraft Systems" more than 50 years ago. My father was flying them before World War II.
Yeah, and we had radio controlled planes too. They also had buzz bombs and the Kettering bug. But some weren't easy to fly, people generally didn't fit cameras to them, and they certainly didn't annoy others by buzzing around to get a picture.
You and your father weren't flying the sort of thing in the image below 50 years ago, and that's what most people today would call a "drone".

Attachments

• DJI_Phantom_2_Vision+_V3_hovering_over_Weissfluhjoch_(cropped).jpg
    DJI_Phantom_2_Vision+_V3_hovering_over_Weissfluhjoch_(cropped).jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 3
Yeah, and we had radio controlled planes too. They also had buzz bombs and the Kettering bug. But some weren't easy to fly, people generally didn't fit cameras to them, and they certainly didn't annoy others by buzzing around to get a picture.
You and your father weren't flying the sort of thing in the image below 50 years ago, and that's what most people today would call a "drone".
No, RC aircraft are not what Joe on the street would call a "drone". But the FAA does not distinguish between multi-copters and RC airplanes. And in their knee jerk reaction to "control drones" they have sucked up everyone else in their wake.

(I was flying camera's back in the '80s and was hardly a pioneer...)

No, RC aircraft are not what Joe on the street would call a "drone". But the FAA does not distinguish between multi-copters and RC airplanes. And in their knee jerk reaction to "control drones" they have sucked up everyone else in their wake.

Did it have auto stabilization? The ability to pre-program so it would fly a path autonomously? And return to home automatically? Was it so easy to fly that someone with only five minutes of experience could fly it to within 6' of a moving object and hold that relative position while recording video and 4k resolution and transmitting it back to the operator?

I think the FAA made a huge mistake by putting RC aircraft in the same group as quad (or more) copters being sold as "drones".

But trying to equate todays drones (or whatever you want to call them) with the radio controlled airplanes of 50 years ago is just as big a mistake.

Obviously this wasn't an issue 50 years ago but capable drones have been around for almost a decade. Why now ?

I think the FAA made a huge mistake by putting RC aircraft in the same group as quad (or more) copters being sold as "drones".

But trying to equate todays drones (or whatever you want to call them) with the radio controlled airplanes of 50 years ago is just as big a mistake.

They did and the AMA and EAA fought them on it to no avail. R/C planes have been flying with virtually zero instances of interference with full scale for a long long time and been self regulating of clubs through the AMA.

This is what happens when politicians are told "you have to do something"

Just a side point, many of todays drones have automatic collision avoidance as a feature, making them a lot safer than the general population thinks.

Agree with you here.
But a few jerks flying quad-copters where they shouldn't cause the TFRs that opened this post.

And like I wrote, you didn't buzz other people and annoy them. There's a world of difference between how you flew and a many people today.

Last edited:
Agree with you here.
But a few jerks flying quad-copters where they shouldn't cause the TFRs that opened this post.

And like I wrote, you didn't buzz other people and annoy them. There's a world of difference between how you flew and a many people today.[/QUOTE]

I would much rather have quiet drones flying around my place, than those noisy rc planes that used to be so popular.

Agree with you here.

And like I wrote, you didn't buzz other people and annoy them. There's a world of difference between how you flew and a many people today.

I would much rather have quiet drones flying around my place, than those noisy rc planes that used to be so popular.
I suppose it depends on what you mean by "popular". Perhaps they were more popular in Canada. Here in the USA, people flew them, and there were enough people to form flying clubs and make a mini-airport. But many other hobbies were more far popular. I knew people in some of those clubs. Here in Nebraska, I don't need to go very far in any direction to go to a place where people flying an RC plane are very unlikely to bother anyone. If they are near a neighbor, they can just go to the other side of their property and fly their plane or shoot their firearms or whatever. You can still get the gas engines, but a lot of RC flyers have gone electric. It wasn't (and isn't) a big deal to hang a muffler on a plane either.

Nice.

PG is only 1.5 hours drive away.

Did you drive up to Fort St. James? If so you were very close.
That seems remote enough that they could have flown elsewhere and not bother you, or they could have put a muffler on the engine. Seems like there are jerks there, too.

My place in Yellowknife used to get buzzed regularly by gas powered rc planes, they sure were noisy things. Electric would be much quieter.
I'm soo remote now, that they don't bother me at all here.
I use my drone a lot to keep an eye on my land, I can't even hear it once it's 500' away. A drone has become a valuable tool in my farm life.

Back