New Mooney :)

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
well..newer...than what i have.
Today i went out to the airport to have a look at a posible purchase. It is a 1990 Mooney 201 TLS. :::Drool:::
It recieved high praises from my mechanic. Inside is very nice, IFR GPS with autopilot, electric gear..hmm..And the outside looks great too. If we decide to buy this, the M20C will be up for sale :(
Sorry no pics yet.

I'm not really good with the older mooney models but I thought the TLS/Bravo (long body) was different than the 201. I think the TLS is getting me confused (not hard).

i think its a M20M....shouldve wrote this stuff down..

Michael said:

Nice...that is the TLS/Bravo model. For a 1990 it would be a TLS. It has the same airframe as the new bravo/ovation aircraft from mooney. Make sure the engine has the bravo mods on it which include additional oil injectors for the pistons (it is a very expensive mod to have done). The model is not related to the 201/231 short body mooney aircraft.

You should check www.mooneypilots.com and look under pre-purchase inspection they have some good information. You might also want to subscribe (unless you already have) for the MAPA or MOA magazine.

Bring on the pictures!

Michael said:
Does that mean the legs of the front seat pax won't rub against the rather sharp edge at the bottom of the panel?

You be sure to hook me up for a ride in your new stead.

Richard said:
Does that mean the legs of the front seat pax won't rub against the rather sharp edge at the bottom of the panel?

LOL..sorry Richard. This one looks a bit bigger in the cabin area. :)

Nice ride. A friend has a 1999 Bravo with known ice. 10 inches or so longer than a 201 but no wider. Useful load is less due to all the bell and wistles. Also has bigger tanks. Burns around 16 gph at normal cruise IIRC for 180 maybe 185 knots. Quite a step up from a C.

Michael said:

Michael,

I like your style. There is about $100K difference in typical asking prices between a 201 and a Bravo.

To paraphrase from Mr Mom...."201, TLS what ever it takes". :<)

Some things to consider on a TLS.

How many hours on the cylinders? Take a look in TaP...note how often they are topped prior to reaching 1,000 hours.

Talk to the current owner about the power settings used, LOP or ROP operation...ask about fuel burn...ask about what kind of range for a max duration flight....from those discussion which you can probably extrapolate typical power settings and leaning process used. Also, what kind of engine instrumentation is on board (ie EGT, CHT for all cylinders and an accurate fuel flow meter).

About three months ago the MOA magazine had an article on the TLS which I'd rate at about a B or B+ overall but I gave it high marks for info/content.

I really like the TLS but note that there is a reason the prices on the used market are less than the asking prices on Ovaitions. Also note, the current president of Mooney bought an Ovation instead of a TLS for herself.

Len

Michael,

That sounds like one sweet ride. Good luck with the purchase.

Michael, I haven't seen the M20C for a while (or up close, really) but I might be interested. Let me know when it's time.

Mike,
I owned an E model Mooney for 15 years or so and then a T-210. I then decided to buy a TLS which I am very happy with. If you decide to buy it would be wise to find a good instructor/A&P who can get you up to speed on proper engine operation. Some of the information that Mooney prints to entice buyers plainly is to aggressive. The last I heard an overhaul is about $65,000. You need to be careful how you operate.

I like to travel and find the TLS more comfortable than the 231 or the short body models. My wingman flies a 231 and I seem to burn 14gph and he about 12gph. The TLS uses lots more runway because it stalls at a higher speed. It is the one feature that I do not like. I assume you have an intrument ticket or are going to get one. You will find yourself on top a lot. A TLS isn't very efficient until you need OX.
Walt

Richard said:

Funny thing, in the middle of this day at work, far away from any 'puter, it occured to me I made an error in my post....it's steed, not stead.

the current owner isnt going to sell now. he said maybe next year.
Oh well. I wouldve jumped on it, but wouldnt have been happy selling my plane. so its all good.

woodstock said:
oops. just read the last post. guess not!
LOL. If you still want a ride in an old beat up, small mooney..I'll be in Vegas :)

Back