New members - How'd you hear about us?

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
I'm noticing a rash of new users showing up here in the last day or so. I'd love to know, if you're new here - how'd you come to find us?

I'd love to think we got mentioned somewhere popular. :)

What, a whole website just for British airline pilots to ***** about their jobs? Why didn't I think of that!

I found the POA site via a post on the UK PPRUNE site.

The BA 777 incident/crash at LHR created a huge amount of traffic and interest on the UK PPRUNE site, in one of the posts there a user of both forums posted a link to this site regarding a briefing paper published a couple of days ago on the aforementioned incident.

This is my first post - so 4 more to go to becoming validated!

Rob

The BA 777 incident/crash at LHR created a huge amount of traffic and interest on the UK PPRUNE site, in one of the posts there a user of both forums posted a link to this site regarding a briefing paper published a couple of days ago on the aforementioned incident.

Rob

Rob:

Validation is so hard to come by in this day and age. :D

Welcome to PoA.

/s/ Spike

Thanks spike! and I now see you are the member I was mentioning who posted that informative briefing paper link .... are we allowed to know the approximate source?

Thanks spike! and I now see you are the member I was mentioning who posted that informative briefing paper link .... are we allowed to know the approximate source?

You'd have to ask Troy (the OP on the thread), who may not be comfortable in disclosing. But I can tell you that Troy is a mature and responsible person, and would not have posted anything the source of which was not vetted, by him, first. He is also, a skilled pilot.

You will also have noticed that we have our own 777 pilot here, primed and ready to throw-down on stupid speculations.

It will be an interesting process, learning about the cause of the BA incident, but we can all be impressed with the skill the pilots showed- they eked out every bit of energy that plane had available to use, and the result was (from what I can see) the best possible.

Now, I think I'll go earn some airplane-gas-buying money!

Rob
Rob,

Welcome! It's neat to see folks come together over an issue like a short-of-field landing. :)

By the way, we have one character who has over ten thousand pot plants... eh, I mean posts planted on the board. I'm still waiting to see him validated!

:D

I'm noticing a rash of new users

Try some of this to clear up that rash

http://www.grassrootsstore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=70

W1650-LRG.jpg

:D:D:D

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I found a link on airliners.net referencing pictures regarding the BA 777 incident.

The site piqued my interest since I'm a pilot - so I decided to register.
:blueplane:

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a link on airliners.net referencing pictures regarding the BA 777 incident.

The site piqued my interest since I'm a pilot - so I decided to register.
:blueplane:
Welcome aboard!

I thought we had reached the quota for New York but I suppose not. :)

Chuck,

I probably wasn't part of the "rash of new members" since you posted this a month ago but I found out about this site because a google search for "grass runway construction" hit on a thread here. The forum looked interesting so I joined.

I'm closing on 80 acres the day after tomorrow (hopefully). It's a long ridge that's pretty flat. I can easily get 2,500' on it. Actually I could get 4,000' on it but I don't need it.

Anyway, this looks like a fun place.

Last edited:
I'm closing on 80 acres the day after tomorrow (hopefully). It's a long ridge that's pretty flat. I can easily get 2,500' on it. Actually I could get 4,000' on it but I don't need it.

Welcome and make sure you hit up EdFred about grass runway construction, probably Diana too as they have BTDT

I'd like to hear more about your new place. Maybe you could start a new thread about it sometime. We're not too far from SGF (about 40 miles west) and have a lot of friends around here (including our mechanic) who have grass strips. Here is ours:

http://www.airnav.com/airport/08MO

OH, and don't forget to put our Gaston's fly-in on your calender:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35

:)

Welcome and make sure you hit up EdFred about grass runway construction, probably Diana too as they have BTDT

Don't ask me. I'm worthless as an airport manager according to the clergy here, remember?

Chuck,

I probably wasn't part of the "rash of new members" since you posted this a month ago but I found out about this site because a google search for "grass runway construction" hit on a thread here. The forum looked interesting so I joined.

Tim,

Be sure to let us know where the strip is. We'll drop by sometime.

Chuck,

Welcome, Tim; that sounds like a great opportunity. Keep us posted on your progress.

Grass strip "wanters?" Check Page 2, the 3rd item.
http://www.bobvila.com/RealEstate/City/Harpswell_ME_USA-2.html

This piece, with the air strip and hangar, is about 10 miles from where I used to live. It used to be owned -- maybe still is, or by his estate -- by Lloyd Thompson, an independent realtor in this area for decades. Lloyd was a pilot and used to do his own photography of the properties he represented; really neat guy who sought my camera & lens advice about 30 years ago and remained a film/photofinishing customer during my 27 years in business. The strip has a slight incline to it, and is near the former huge fuel tank farm on the water front where ships would offload fuel to the government tanks which stored fuel for Naval Air Station Brunswick's fleet of P3-C aircraft.

I just looked in the telephone book and note that Lloyd Thompson is no longer listed, so I suspect that he has flown West since I sold out in 2004(though I don't remember reading about his passing). This would be a great, ready-made opportunity for one of y'all who'd like to have developable land, a hangared air strip, and deep water. (Warning: the tax rate in Harpswell is wicked because of being nearly totally surrounded by ocean water)

HR

google search: pilot forums, learning to fly forum

Don't ask me. I'm worthless as an airport manager according to the clergy here, remember?

What did I miss now? I swear, there's more drama that happens here than I ever even notice!

What did I miss now? I swear, there's more drama that happens here than I ever even notice!

It's from when he left his modifier dangling in his sig line a while back. He called himself worthless, it wasn't any of us :no::goofy:.

Welcome, Tim; that sounds like a great opportunity. Keep us posted on your progress.

I'll do that! When the time comes, and we start construction, I'll start a new thread. We've squawked 7500 on this thread enough already.

We closed on the Property last Thursday and I immediately mailed the FAA form so we'll probably start building as soon as the weather breaks.

Thanks to all for the input and advice.

It's from when he left his modifier dangling in his sig line a while back. He called himself worthless, it wasn't any of us :no::goofy:.

Not quite. It was when a "well respected" member of the aviation community implied that unless I had a 4 year aviation degree or better I was worthless as an airport manager. I then had the sigline in response to that.

Not quite. It was when a "well respected" member of the aviation community implied that unless I had a 4 year aviation degree I was worthless as an airport manager. I then had the sigline in response to that.
It's okay if you're worthless. You have some redeeming values as of your dad passing his checkride. :)

Recently, I had a hard time convincing a government employee not even an elementary education is required in order to earn a pilot certificate. That well affect hiring later on as a commercial pilot but the FAA doesn't care. They couldn't grasp the concept. I guess I had redeeming quality at least as a college dropout. :)

Back