sidneyfw

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
sidney
Howdy, My name is Sidney, just wanted to introduce myself. Neat web site!
I'm not a current licensed pilot, but hope to start training this year.
I had my first small plane ride with my uncle about 1964 in a cessna 170.
My Dad started flying for business travel in 1969, our first family plane was a 1960 172, then a Mooney, a beech debbie, then a 64 S bonanza, we flew that plane for about 5yrs, the moved into a 1972 A 36, he was killed in that plane in Silver City New Mexico on a business trip in 1978. I was raised in Washington State, but have lived and worked all over the United States 37 yr union steamfitter/welder, I know the only dumb ass in the family. I've flown in small planes all my life and now going through a divorce after 31yrs of marriage, it's time to buy and fly! I don't have a particular favorite aircraft, but who doesn't love Bonanza's, my mission is hunting and fishing back country and dig tail-wheel aircraft, super cubs, maules, cessna 170s, 180s, some of the home build aircraft are cool, Zenith 801? Anyhow Hi!
Sincerely Sidney F W

welcome to an awesome community! hope you start flying soon!

Sidney:

Welcome to PoA!

First off, tell us where you are (if you are willing) - you may find yourself invited to some fun flying thing or another, which tends to happen around here. You might also get a good recommendation of instructor and flight school. Outstanding resources in that direction here, something you're bound to get with a member base as broad and deep as that which we are fortunate enough to have here.

Next, I have to comment: I am a lawyer, represent mostly construction trades, and, while there might be many words one could use to describe a plumber/pipefitter with decades of experience, "dumb ass" would never, ever come to mind! Perhaps a better word might be "artist."

Or, so it seems to me.

In any event, tell us more, and let's see if we can't get you in the air!

Sidney, Welcome to Pilots of America ( POA) good to have you hear. Tell us a bit more about yourself and where you are from. POA has folks all over the country and the world so chances are there are some POAers near you.

Thank You for the warm welcome Smooth Talker and You too Adam, also thanks for the kind words regarding my trade! I reside in Vancouver WA and I can see the wealth of knowledge on this site! I'm not sure where I'm going to get my flight training, as I'm hoping to relocate to eastern wa this spring. But I'm hoping to buy my first airplane and then find an Instructor to teach me. I'm considering the Sporty's home study course. I've been looking at cessna 172s but recently have done a lot of research on the 175 model, which is how I found about your web site. The 175 seems like a lot of plane for a reasonable price, especially if retro fitted with an 0-360 or even better an 0-470. Butt I would consider one with original configuration GO 300.
I attend all fly-ins in my area, Pearson, and Evergreen before it closed. Looking forward to meeting more people on POA.
Sincerely Sidney FW

Welcome hope you enjoy the board.

Welcome Sidney. Good luck on getting a plane you can really enjoy. it sounds like a C-170 might be a good choice for you. A Maule would be good too. So many choices, so little time here :).

Howdy from North Texas!

Sidney, I'm a big fan of the King school DVDs. I too looked at the 175s. They are great planes but you really need to research the parts availability. There is a175 board I got info from a while back. I decided not to continue looking at the 175 due to what I perceived to be great difficulty finding parts.

Sidney, I'm a big fan of the King school DVDs. I too looked at the 175s. They are great planes but you really need to research the parts availability. There is a175 board I got info from a while back. I decided not to continue looking at the 175 due to what I perceived to be great difficulty finding parts.

What parts problem do you perceive ?

Howdy, My name is Sidney, just wanted to introduce myself. Neat web site!
I'm not a current licensed pilot, but hope to start training this year.
I had my first small plane ride with my uncle about 1964 in a cessna 170.
My Dad started flying for business travel in 1969, our first family plane was a 1960 172, then a Mooney, a beech debbie, then a 64 S bonanza, we flew that plane for about 5yrs, the moved into a 1972 A 36, he was killed in that plane in Silver City New Mexico on a business trip in 1978. I was raised in Washington State, but have lived and worked all over the United States 37 yr union steamfitter/welder, I know the only dumb ass in the family. I've flown in small planes all my life and now going through a divorce after 31yrs of marriage, it's time to buy and fly! I don't have a particular favorite aircraft, but who doesn't love Bonanza's, my mission is hunting and fishing back country and dig tail-wheel aircraft, super cubs, maules, cessna 170s, 180s, some of the home build aircraft are cool, Zenith 801? Anyhow Hi!
Sincerely Sidney F W

I know of a 170 A that is for sale at a very low price, it needs TLC and an annual. It is located in Renton Wa. and a very good instructor that teaches in his 170-A.

interested ?

Attachments

• 0131141259.jpg
    0131141259.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 0131141258c.jpg
    0131141258c.jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 0131141258a.jpg
    0131141258a.jpg
    483.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 0131141124a.jpg
    0131141124a.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 0131141253.jpg
    0131141253.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Gearbox parts if it still has the GO-300.

Other than that, I don't see an issue.

Bushings and bearing are now being made after market.

I know of 3 GO-300-Ds for sale right now, why would you want to fix one? simply swap it out.

All it takes is money. Got any leads on an O-300?

Do you need one ? I'll chase one down for ya if ya need it.

Dodson has 2 for -Ds for sale now .
O-300-D C172 34863-D-6-D 6077.33 1846.9 AR Yes No .003
O-300-D C172 35605-7-D 5840.1 837.1 AR Yes No .050

Last edited:
Do you need one ? I'll chase one down for ya if ya need it.

Not really. If I end up with a certain 170, it might need one a few years down the road.

Dodson has 2 for -Ds for sale now .
O-300-D C172 34863-D-6-D 6077.33 1846.9 AR Yes No .003
O-300-D C172 35605-7-D 5840.1 837.1 AR Yes No .050

Don't know what all those numbers mean. But a -D would be nice.

Thanks again everyone for the welcome, I was thinking about the red carpet that was rolled out for our family when we flew into the Beechcraft factory in Witchata Kansas in our V-tail in 1973. A family vacation I'll never forget! Left Richland washington on a sat in aug, Dad, Mom, two sisters and little brother, thats right 6 in a 5seat, I was oldest at 14, I got to fly in front since I was the biggest. Our first lag of trip was to Cheyenne for lunch and fuel then 5hrs onto Witchata and toured the Beech Factory. The next destination was Fort Knox Kentucky, Dad was stationed there in the army for Tank Training, went to the military museum saw General Pattons Ivory handled pistols. From there onto DC National, got to tour the White House arranged exclusive by senator Warren Magnuson, Dad was a campaign mannager for him and Scoop Jackson in our community,Richland/ Hanford Nuclear Res. Quite a mess these days! From DC it was onto Kissime Florida to Disney World, From there through the south eventually to Flagstaff to see the Grand Canyon I remember flying below the canyon rim, it was legal then, But it scared the F...out of me, I remember thinking wasn't the view pretty good a little above. Dad my not have been a smart pilot butt an awesome CPA/Business Man, it was his boldness the would get him killed, hence the phrase there are old pilots and bold pilots, but there aren't manny old/and bold ones out there! From AZ we would fly to Sanfrancisco, stayed a couple of days at Holliday Inn in Downtown, then back home to Richland. Awesome trip spent 39hrs in the air and 16 days @ a cost of about 3000$, couldn't imagine how much a trip like that would cost these days! Sincerely SidneyFW

Tom, this was a couple of years ago, but my recollection was mostly engine and gear box issues. One owner also related issues about getting bushings and had to have them machined. There was one shop in Texas that I recall did a vast majority of the OH work. There was a lot of talk on the 175 board about whether or not the GO-300s TBO OF 1200 hours could be extended realistically to 2000. A few guys also told me they tried to gobble. Up the engines when they came up for sale just to have something to swapout or canabilize.

Sidney, that sounds like an awesome GA adventure ( minus the watch this moments)

Thanks Tom for the info on the 170A, but after raising four kids and owning plenty of fixer/uppers, boats, cars, trucks, campers, houses, you get quite thrifty when raising four kids on a construction workers income I do love it though. After the divorce is final I'll be ready to buy, also I have a potential partner, looking for a cream puff! I have 35K on my own, (with a partner might spend 45k. I have been watching Trade a plane for years nearly have it memorized, also look at the local adds in craigslist. I won't get in hurry though! Sincerely Sidney FW

Awesome trip spent 39hrs in the air and 16 days @ a cost of about 3000$, couldn't imagine how much a trip like that would cost these days! Sincerely SidneyFW

I'll take a stab at 13 to 15 grand.

Wanted.......Plane Ride, as originally posted in a new thread I want to go flying! Trade elbow grease, help with any chores also have $$$$$$ for fuel contribution. I live in Vancouver WA and can get to any airport around here! Pearson, Troutdale, Gohene, Camas. What I'm not sure is if this request is Taboo? Sincerely Sidney FW
Please write to sidfw@aol.com

Back